JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first gun was a Model 700 on 30-06. Just a cheap ADL. It is the same model and caliber my dad handed down to my older brother. I have loaded everything from 110 grain Speer TNT's to 220 grain nosler partitions.
Recently it's been getting a steady diet of 168 grain Sierra match kings for the range.

My first gun was a Model 700 on 30-06. Just a cheap ADL. It is the same model and caliber my dad handed down to my older brother. I have loaded everything from 110 grain Speer TNT's to 220 grain nosler partitions.
Recently it's been getting a steady diet of 168 grain Sierra match kings for the range.

I was just about to opine that an older M-700 30-06 would be my choice!

Mauser 98 sporterized 3006, been shooting one for 40+ years. everything from squirrels to elk with reloads, no problems HOWEVER sometimes the what if's pop up and I believe the 300 win mag will do all of the above and more with heavier bullets for larger than elk, my 2c's worth

I like a 30.06 - can handle most anything and you can find the ammo anywhere. You can have 55 gr accelerators for varmints or 220 gr elk loads. Iy can do the job on most anything you are going to hunt. 2nd choice would be .270 - can handle deer or elk-antelope- most anything. Savage or Ruger Model 77 - both excellent choices.

I have been more than happy with my Grandpa's Remington 742 woodsmaster, 30-06. Deer to Bear, very versatile, and you can even get larger capacity mags if you think you might need it for 2 legged critters.

I knew a guy who used to joke the 742 would make a great {"urban renewal]" gun. In town I'd rather have it than my Model 700.... but either makes a great "one only".

Brutus out

I like my Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .270WSM. Have taken some nice mule deer and whitetails with it. It pushes a 150 gr bullet at right around 3000 fps with good accuracy. A Nosler Partition in 150 gr or 160 gr weight put in the proper spot would work fine on Elk. The Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tips at 3200 fps or so have worked very well on deer. Nothing wrong with the standard .270 Win either. I recently picked up a Marlin X7 in the standard .270 Win chambering and for $250, it shoots great. Made a mediocre shot on a Montana mulie doe a month ago. It shoots the old Nosler 130 gr Solid Bases into less than one inch at a hundred yards from the bench. With no plans to ever hunt big bears, and not sure if I will ever try chasing elk, the .270 Win or WSM is plenty of rifle for the lower 48 at any reasonable range one might attempt.

Well folks, it looks like that venerable old "skin buster and hide bruiser" .06 is way out in front in the "if you could have just one" category after going all through these posts, and for good reason. It is the one cartridge that many aspire to be, and the one that most are judged by. Is she the best all around cartridge ever designed? Well, that's been the topic of more fire side debates than most presidencies and that only goes to show that it truly is perhaps the very best all around, or we wouldn't be still having this conversation over a century later.

Well folks, it looks like that venerable old "skin buster and hide bruiser" .06 is way out in front in the "if you could have just one" category after going all through these posts, and for good reason. It is the one cartridge that many aspire to be, and the one that most are judged by. Is she the best all around cartridge ever designed? Well, that's been the topic of more fire side debates than most presidencies and that only goes to show that it truly is perhaps the very best all around, or we wouldn't be still having this conversation over a century later.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ri...there-any-cartridges-better-than-30-06-a.html

I read it as it progressed from beginning to its current status, and I've noticed that you also are a big fan of the old cartridge. Whats not to like about it? Yes old Spitpatch sort of cast an upturned nose,;);), at it for it's mundane everyday, everywhere status, but he also gave it a grudging nod as he knows a great thing when he sees it. We all have our pet cartridges that appeals to our senses, I have a passion for the .25-06 and the .6mm Remington, but the 06 has stood the test of time and if I could only have just one I think you know which I would be reaching for.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews