JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same as if I could only have one fighting rifle.. the G3

g3kand91.jpg

g3kand91.jpg

soberups,

Pardon me for pointing out that the '06 won't even play in the same sandbox with a 9.3x62mm. - With the 9.3x62 you are WELL-ARMED for anything worldwide

I thoroughly agree on GOOD scopes, preferably one of the "no name Zeiss" from WAFFEN BENEWITZ.

yours, satx

Whatever, I've killed Tigers in India, Lions in Botswana and Kodiak's in Kodiak using only a wrist rocket;). And I ain't Bsing you even a little bit when I tell you my daughter is out hunting today (right now) for Elk with a beautiful .338 custom and flying 250 grain partitions that I gave her years ago,= dead Elk, and a bunch of em. I hunt them with a bow now.
When I did hunt them here on the coast range with a rifle, I always favored the -06 for a reason, cause it works as well as it should be expected to, and embodies that which many others strive to excel.

I think you'd get a better consensus if you asked what you should look for in a woman.

There are a lot of excellent choices from 7mm to .35 that would work fine. If you do some long range then a flatter shooting 7mm might edge out the 30-30 that was recommended earlier.

Rich, beautiful and stupid. I am still having trouble making up my mind about the rifle. Definitely a 30-06, probably a pre-64 Model 70 and a really good high quality scope.

My brother in law born and raised in Ak and half native carried either his FN FAL or .303. He hunted everything under the sun up there if he was hungry or it threatened his gold camps. .303 is/was quite popular north of conus. I wish I still had my unfired Canadian MK II no. 4.
Nothing like a short throw bolt with a 10 round box magazine. Alas, it was stolen.

Brutus out

Still and all, for me. 06 is my choice. I don't ever expect to be hunting elephants, maybe jackasses one day, but certainly not elephants.

soberups,

Pardon me for pointing out that the '06 won't even play in the same sandbox with a 9.3x62mm. - With the 9.3x62 you are WELL-ARMED for anything worldwide

I thoroughly agree on GOOD scopes, preferably one of the "no name Zeiss" from WAFFEN BENEWITZ.

yours, satx

If you read the original post, the man states that he does not currently own a hunting rifle and that he is simply looking for a good, all-around rifle for game ranging from antelope to elk.

Based upon the tone of his question, I guess I assumed that he was looking for something that was (a) reasonably common (b) reasonably affordable and (c) reasonably easy to obtain ammo for. A name-brand bolt action(Ruger, Savage, Winchester etc.) 30.06 with a 3x9x40 Leupold scope can be set up at Bimart for under $600 and with the right ammo selection (also available at Bi-mart) is perfectly capable of taking any game on the North American continent.

I have never even heard of the 9.3x62 cartridge that you speak of, much less seen ammo for it on any shelves. Nor have I ever heard of a Waffen Benewitz scope. I will concede without even arguing that the 9.32x62 cartridge is probably superior to the 30-06 in terms of ballistics, but that does not mean it is a better real world choice as an all-around gun for someone who does not currently own a hunting rifle and is looking for a realistic place to start.

So today, we just finished packing out two very nice 5x5's and a good six x all in hard earned quarters. One taken by an .06 one with a .300 Win magnum and one with a .338 WM. All were taken with one shot in second growth coastal terrain. The longest shot was about 70 yards and none walked farther than 10 yards.

Its all about bullet placement. All are fine choices too.

I bought a model 100 (autoloader) years ago for my son. They share handling charistics with the model 88 and I get why you love yours. They are great rifles, light, quick, accurate and reliable! The last few I have seen were also pretty costly.

OK, I got that half right. Model 88's are spendy ($880-1200 on Gunbroker) 100's in the $300 range!

I've got a pre '64 model 100 in 308 I bought in 1976 with my paper route money. I've killed quite a few elk, deer, and even a couple of antelope with it since then.

I can't see a reason to reinvent the wheel so I'll just stick with what I've got. :cool:

I bought one of the Bimart Winchester 30.06 rifle and scope packages was just about 430 bucks. The scope that came with it was pretty worthless. It worked ok but you had to be so close to it to fill the whole picture it kept hitting my forehead never hard enough to cut me but i knew it was there. I replaced it with a Leupold varix II and it is so much better and the package is very accurate now. So im into it just about 600 bucks total but i got a good deal on the scope.

I have been more than happy with my Grandpa's Remington 742 woodsmaster, 30-06. Deer to Bear, very versatile, and you can even get larger capacity mags if you think you might need it for 2 legged critters.

out of all my hunting rifles that are way more accurate, id still have to go with my remington 03A3 30-06 that was passed down to me after my g-pa died and my dad realized i was the only one who REALLY wanted it so he said i could have it. 1.its been in the family since the 40s. 2. it was the first 'big rifle' i ever shot. 3.i love my 308 and my 300WM but ya cant go wrong with a 30-06. if this was an 'end of world/zombie/shhh hits the fan...what gun' thread it'd be much different

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews