JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
30.06 in a good bolt gun, Savage 110 or Remington 700 , stainless barrel, synthetic stock. Can be loaded with anything from 110gr to 230gr.. Put down anything in North America. You would probably have to go for head shots for the little fellas like squirrels

Probably the one I just bought for my first hunting rifle; Remington 700 SS 30-06. Of course I don't know any better having never been really hunting yet but I made that caliber choice based on the fact I can handload from 110gr. to 220gr. to handle any size game I come across in North America. And I made that brand/model choice based on the fact it is a 50+ year old design that is still one of the best for bolt action.

30.06 in a good bolt gun, Savage 110 or Remington 700 , stainless barrel, synthetic stock. Can be loaded with anything from 110gr to 230gr.. Put down anything in North America. You would probably have to go for head shots for the little fellas like squirrels

^^^^This^^^^

Exactly what I would say.
30.06 has worked for everything from deer and elk to Viet Cong....

^^^^This^^^^

Exactly what I would say.
30.06 has worked for everything from deer and elk to Viet Cong....

Yeah, stick with something that was military or nato.
Ammo is much easier to get in out of the way places.
I do like the souped up 45-70 in a farquarsen or siamese mauser action though.
My little Ruger #3 carbine will take care of anything I hunt in North America. I still keep an 06, a 270, 30-30 Carbine and some other fall backs around though. A good slug gun or two also. Have owned nearly every caliber you can name, but down to basics now.
A good 7x57 is still a great cartridge and wouldn't turn one down if you come across a nice one.
If I planned to spend time in Alaska, my 45-70 with my loads or a good 338 would be the choice.
An absolute one gun only choice (ugh, sickening to conceive) would have to be the 308 for the states though.

I think you'd get a better consensus if you asked what you should look for in a woman.

There are a lot of excellent choices from 7mm to .35 that would work fine. If you do some long range then a flatter shooting 7mm might edge out the 30-30 that was recommended earlier.

Only one? I'd kick the Kimber Montana to the curb and keep the 50's vintage Winchester Featherweight 70. Both of these are 30-06.
If I had neither of these and was shopping, Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

The pre 64 model 70 featherweight in -06 that I carry. I have many, but she's my baby.

Ya know, to me anyway, a pre 64 Model 70 deserves it's rep as "The rifleman's rifle". No offense to any of the other very fine rifles, Remington, Savage, etc...

I did kick that Kimber to the curb and bought my old Ruger 30-06 back. My Winchester is more valuable when counting by dollars, but I'd sell it before this Ruger. There is no family influenced sentimental value to either rifle and the Ruger was reworked to what my idea of an Oregon hunting rifle should be. I shoot all of my guns, but I use the Ruger.

guns094_zps7a521c96.jpg

I bought a new 308 model 88 Winchester in 1962 and it is still my favorite rifle.

I bought a model 100 (autoloader) years ago for my son. They share handling charistics with the model 88 and I get why you love yours. They are great rifles, light, quick, accurate and reliable! The last few I have seen were also pretty costly.

OK, I got that half right. Model 88's are spendy ($880-1200 on Gunbroker) 100's in the $300 range!

Any of the bolt-action 30.06 from reputable makers will serve you well. Spend the money on the scope, not the rifle. A beater rifle with a good Leupold will outperform a high end rifle with a $45 Bushnell. The 30.06 is by far the best all around choice in terms of caliber, for deer or antelope you can use 150 grain and for elk or other big game go with 180's. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, the '06 will reliably hunt any game on the North American continent.

soberups,

Pardon me for pointing out that the '06 won't even play in the same sandbox with a 9.3x62mm. - With the 9.3x62 you are WELL-ARMED for anything worldwide

I thoroughly agree on GOOD scopes, preferably one of the "no name Zeiss" from WAFFEN BENEWITZ.

yours, satx

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class