JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What make/model and caliber hunting rifle would you have for deer, antelope, elk hunting? I do not currently own a large caliber rifle but plan on getting one...just want a good all around gun that may not be the ultimate for specific game animals, but can get the job done.

Savage Model 111C in 30-06 or what I use now Ruger M77R in 30-06 (mines a 1977 era Tang Safety model)

30-06 can be loaded for everything from Varmits to Bear/Elk

IMHO

Get a .30-06 or .270 Win. Both are great deer rifles. If you get to hunt antelope more than elk, go with the .270 Win, but if you get to hunt elk more, get the .30-06. The two calibers are in the top five selling calibers for very good reasons.

As for make and model, any of the main stream brands will deliver accuracy acceptable for hunting big game. If I was in the market I would consider a Remington 700, Ruger, Weatherby Vanguard or Tika. They won't break the bank and are solid dependable guns. Go to a gun store and shoulder as many as you can. Guns feel and handle different depending on your body dimensions, so get the one that feels the best to handle, carry and shoulder.

The 270cal Model 70 I have right now.
A guide from Alaska,on a hunting site,said his clients have killed 1000s of animals ,large and small,over the last 30yrs he's been guiding.

If I had to buy one? It would be a 30-06 model 700

Either one will kill anything on this continent and more

Yep model 700. 270 or 30-06. Im attached to the 270 cause Ive hunted with one since I was 13 but the 30-06 is a great round. I think the 30-06 has a wider selection of factory loads. If you reload you really can do ANYTHING with either of these rounds. I believe the 270 shoots a little flatter but it wont throw as much lead down range...

Ruger Scout. Light enought for many purposes. Almost enough catridge for most game. Bolt action so there are few moving parts. And, at the price point, there would chance left over for lobbying against a silly one rifle rule.

-s

Hard choice...

Out of mine if I could only have one...

Not sure, it would either be my Remington Model 30 in 30-06 or Winchester 70 in .338.
If I was not ever going to go back to Alaska.. Then I would Keep the model 30. Fantastic Gun.

Only one? I'd kick the Kimber Montana to the curb and keep the 50's vintage Winchester Featherweight 70. Both of these are 30-06.
If I had neither of these and was shopping, Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

Ruger Scout. Light enought for many purposes. Almost enough catridge for most game. Bolt action so there are few moving parts. And, at the price point, there would chance left over for lobbying against a silly one rifle rule.

-s

I almost went there, but went semi. If semi-auto is out of the question, then this'd be mine too.

I'd chose the one I've already chosen! My Tikka T3 in .30-06.

Rifles008.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR