JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There doesn't need to be. People voluntarily (and pay) genealogy sites like 23 and me to catalog their DNA and send it to the fuzz whenever they request it.

The TOS of those sites are pretty scary.
Both of my (adopted) kids did the 23 and Me thing. They asked me to do it. I told them in no uncertain terms that that was never gonna voluntarily happen...

FYI I tried the Solocator phone app. The cost is 99 cents. It stamps gps date time on the photos. Yes yes you can make the argument that anything can be faked but being this app is developed specifically for proof of construction etc so it may be seen as a step above regular photos in regards to proof. For me $.99 is worth the piece of mind to have photos stamped in addition to regular photos. Both can also be emailed to yourself or whatever. Cheap insurance should you ever need it is how I look at it fwiw.

Last Edited:
Google photos allows you to edit date and location in the EXIF data:

yIktPOBfS3Xz9T2Qb58Kbks6c5=w713-h950-no?authuser=0.jpg

Info

jam caused by shooting upside down
DETAILS
Dec 6
Yesterday, 11:55 AMGMT-08:00
Google Pixel 4a (5G)
ƒ/1.731/3544.38mmISO57
PXL_20221206_195559260.MP.jpg
12.2MP3024 × 4032
Uploaded from Android device
Backed up (7.3 MB)
Original quality.
Newberg, OR

Except for swans!
Shooting swans? Perhaps, if you really think it's necessary - most folks here don't. And definitely no shooting of birds at night - here in UK we have no bird pests annoying sheep or cattle at night.

One thing we don;t have over here, AAMOI, is your game tag system. First of all, we don't have your huge variety of game animals to shoot, and secondly, we have around 130,000 too many deer on mainland UK.

The Romans killed our last bears around 1800 years back, and wild boar have only recently been re-introduced, like wolves and beavers.

FYI I tried the Solocator phone app. The cost is 99 cents. It stamps gps date time on the photos. Yes yes you can make the argument that anything can be faked but being this app is developed specifically for proof of construction etc so it may be seen as a step above regular photos in regards to proof. For me $.99 is worth the piece of mind to have photos stamped in addition to regular photos. Both can also be emailed to yourself or whatever. Cheap insurance should you ever need it is how I look at it fwiw.

From what I can see... it appears all that does it watermark the photo with the date and time. That makes it easier for a client to readily see the stamp without having to go into the photo files properties to view the time stamp. It also marks it with an unchanging date for record purposes where the file metadata date and time changes every time the file is saved.

IE., You take a photo as construction proof but don't send it until a day or two later. When the client (or whoever) saves the photo to their device upon reciept, it would have the later date and time.. not the date and time it was actually taken.

So it serves a purpose in that way, but adds no additional security. The water mark is simple enough to add, remove or manipulate through basic photo editors... the same as the meta data can be easily changed with an EXIF editor. (A dime a dozen typically free utility app)

Just sayin..... but if it somehow gives you peace of mind for $.99... that's perfectly cool too!

From what I can see... it appears all that does it watermark the photo with the date and time. That makes it easier for a client to readily see the stamp without having to go into the photo files properties to view the time stamp. It also marks it with an unchanging date for record purposes where the file metadata date and time changes every time the file is saved.

IE., You take a photo as construction proof but don't send it until a day or two later. When the client (or whoever) saves the photo to their device upon reciept, it would have the later date and time.. not the date and time it was actually taken.

So it serves a purpose in that way, but adds no additional security. The water mark is simple enough to add, remove or manipulate through basic photo editors... the same as the meta data can be easily changed with an EXIF editor. (A dime a dozen typically free utility app)

Just sayin..... but if it somehow gives you peace of mind for $.99... that's perfectly cool too!
Yea pretty much any solution you can come up with can be faked, except perhaps notarized hard copies of photos, some neutral third party inventorying them, or taking photos in front of something that changes over time such as a construction project, or some such crazy-anal solution.

The key for me is do you have legal "ammunition" that helps your cause, and the more ammo you have the easier it is to make your case. For example a couple types of photos sent to your email or some electronic upload which set the time and date for the upload. That takes very little time and having those few pieces of evidence should be enough to make a case if you needed to I would think. The chances of a person somehow being able to fake multiple types of photos, email or other uploads time stamps all together would be slim I think. It's all the evidence together, not whether one piece can be faked or not.

Also I'm totally cool with doing nothing or on the other end being anal about it. Everybody can do as much or as little as they want. Probably more important than this stuff is do you keep a low profile, will a LEO actually try to prosecute, etc. (ie the evidence may never be needed in the first place). For me it's worth 15 minutes and .99 to be prepared just in case during the period until the mag ban is hopefully overturned.

I know of one real a-hole OSP cop who will go out of his way to nail anyone for anything he possibly can. He is a real outlier as most are normal but I've been pulled over by him and ticketed for the slightest infraction. He is well known in the area he prowls.

Last Edited:
Yea pretty much any solution you can come up with can be faked, except perhaps notarized hard copies of photos, some neutral third party inventorying them, or taking photos in front of something that changes over time such as a construction project, or some such crazy-anal solution.

The key for me is do you have legal "ammunition" that helps your cause, and the more ammo you have the easier it is to make your case. For example a couple types of photos sent to your email or some electronic upload which set the time and date for the upload. That takes very little time and having those few pieces of evidence should be enough to make a case if you needed to I would think. The chances of a person somehow being able to fake multiple types of photos, email or other uploads time stamps all together would be slim I think. It's all the evidence together, not whether one piece can be faked or not.

Also I'm totally cool with doing nothing or on the other end being anal about it. Everybody can do as much or as little as they want. Probably more important than this stuff is do you keep a low profile, will a LEO actually try to prosecute, etc. (ie the evidence may never be needed in the first place).
I get it. That approach has merit.

On the flip side, to consider, anything you provide also opens it up to scrutiny and any single point that can be found to be questionable or raise doubt, valid or not, can undermine credibility.

If there is nothing that can be brought under scrutiny then, granted, it doesn't help your case, but it also can't potentially hurt it. Prosectutors don't play fair and you never know how something "may" be twisted and used against you.

My approach is... don't sweat it. The possibility I may need to prove when my mags were aquired is so infinitesimally remote that it does not warrant time or energy to prepare againt it. Worst case... my sworn affidavit is admissible in court as evidence and there is nothing available to the prosecution that could remotely be used against me to refute it.

KISS, I say.

Interesting but it sounds like it could still be an issue, if they decide to make it one. In the concealed carry case they discuss, it sounds like the defendant avoided conviction because they didn't possess both parts at the same time, which was a necessary condition to consider something readily convertible. Indeed one is unlikely to be carrying all of the things necessary to convert a <10 mag into a >10 mag, but what about in the context of a home? If someone owns a pair of 6-round mags for their pocket .380 and some relatively basic tools, would that not equate to having all of the necessary components at the same time to construct a 12 round mag?

I just am not doing any sort of proof burden of proof is on the state regardless of what 114 says, you take someone to court guilty until proven innocent setting the case up for failure. I have dozens upon dozens of mags and idk where I even put them all. If they want to screw with me over it fine as I got most from pawn shops or gun shows. Many if my friends have seen many of my mags they just can vouch I have a bubblegumload of mags and won't have much more to add. Because if I try I'll probably find 90% and have super proof of them and have issues when there's a few I forgot about laying somewhere else.

I just am not doing any sort of proof burden of proof is on the state regardless of what 114 says, you take someone to court guilty until proven innocent setting the case up for failure. I have dozens upon dozens of mags and idk where I even put them all. If they want to screw with me over it fine as I got most from pawn shops or gun shows. Many if my friends have seen many of my mags they just can vouch I have a bubblegumload of mags and won't have much more to add. Because if I try I'll probably find 90% and have super proof of them and have issues when there's a few I forgot about laying somewhere else.
I am not bothering either - as I have said before.

But I do recommend you find them all and organize them into a place you can get them. Not for legal purposes, but just in case you need to use them.

That's what I have been doing. I though I had them all in boxes now, and I am still running across the odd mag here and there.

mean that's exactly how red flag laws work.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top