JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Was the Juice worth the squeeze?

• Yes, everyone should have one.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
I've been considering getting my NFA form 1 for a SBR build but I've been on the fence if it would be worth the hassle as I already have a 300 BO pistol I build last year.

So for those that have jumped through all the hoops, was it worth it?

I think so. I've always thought that pistol stabilizing braces were a hokey way around the ATF's rules and just like bump stocks, the feds may one day rule against them.
My first AR build was a .300 Blackout with a 10" barrel and an expensive suppressor, so I didn't want it half assed.
I'd do it again.

this is a tough one for me. i think id rather build a pistol and save the $200 for reloading supplies and NOT have my weapon be on a federal registry. also, you being in washington, it is my understanding that if you have your CPL, an AR pistol is ok to have loaded in your truck but a rifle isnt?

personally, my thoughts are the NFA shouldnt be a thing. if youre law abiding then you should own whatever you want.

theres an illegal black market for everything and its probably not as hard as one would think for a criminal to illegally obtain weapons.

I'm on the fence here. I would really like to make my 300 blk build a SBR just because I like the butt stock. But its not worth the 200 and I like the fact that I can carry it with me concealed in my truck.

SOLUTION: Build one of each and let us know if it is worth it! :D

I'm so deep into tax stamps that I quit worrying about the Feds. I was gifted two machine guns and after that I never looked back.

I'm on the fence here. I would really like to make my 300 blk build a SBR just because I like the butt stock. But its not worth the 200 and I like the fact that I can carry it with me concealed in my truck.

SOLUTION: Build one of each and let us know if it is worth it! :D

I mean a pistol lower is pretty cheap. No real reason not too. Heck some braces install on a normal carbine buffer tube. That is an easy switch!

I mean a pistol lower is pretty cheap. No real reason not too. Heck some braces install on a normal carbine buffer tube. That is an easy switch!

So clarify something for me and take this for what it is I might need some more coffee this morning. When you say switch are you saying switch from a pistol to a SBR?

So clarify something for me and take this for what it is I might need some more coffee this morning. When you say switch are you saying switch from a pistol to a SBR?

Saying just like genders in current year, you can switch between identifying as a pistol or SBR just by switching between a brace or stock, as long as you don't have a vertical grip on the upper.

IANAL YMMV etc.

Functionality wise, I don't think SBRs are worth it with how many great pistol braces there are on the market right now (speaking for the AR/AK platforms specifically). The only reason I bothered doing any Form 1s was because I wanted some "complete" guns that would not look or feel right with a brace - like my Vz 61 Skorpion, which (in my opinion) would look and feel real dumb if you slapped a big ol' brace on the back, but looks amazing with the original folding wire stock.

Another consideration is traveling over state lines: if you make an AR pistol with a brace you have no problem transporting it over state lines (for the most part) and it has the added benefit of being covered under a concealed pistol licence, so you could even keep the thing loaded in your car if you wanted to. With an SBR you'll have to file papers with the ATF if you plan on taking the firearm across state lines, not a huge hassle in my experience, but a hassle nonetheless.

Just my .02 cents...

I have had nothing but overly excessive waits for all of my NFA stuff.

It was to the point where once I received the stamps I wasn't excited.

Most are excited to finally get the things they paid for.

I think I had more of the last stage of grieving type feeling.

If I were to do it again, that's a hard call.

I heaven't done the process yet, but all the reason's you've stated are spot on for what I was thinking.

I heaven't done the process yet, but all the reason's you've stated are spot on for what I was thinking.

I don't know if the wait times are the same now, but I e-filed two Form 1s around November last year (a suppressor and an SBR) and they both came back pretty quick - one was 11 days and the other was 16. From what I've heard paper filing is still as long as ever though.

Might depend on how many ar's you have to.
I only plan on owning and keeping the one ar308 i have.
I want to sbr it so i can keep a 12.5" on it but still have my 18" to throw on it temporarily when i want to. I don't know if you could do that with a pistol brace. I like buttstocks with a good cheekweld

One lower + 2 uppers with tax stamp is less expensive then two guns.
But i by expensive sh so that might not be the case for you.

Your basically paying 200$ for a buttstock, which would make my magpul ubr a 400$ buttstock when i get around to it

This is what I've heard a lot, to me that's not the way I roll. If I want something I get it, I don't want to wait months and have to grovel for gov permission to obtain it. Screw that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top