JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As for goats, dogs and llamas, you can't just stuff them in your trunk in case you need to walk home. You can't just put them in the shop/garage and leave them there over the winter while you are in vacation in Tahiti.

I love animals, and many are very useful, but they require a LOT of care.

I'm not 20 anymore....
I'm not 50 anymore.

Also, 20 or 30 or 60, any given person could go farther faster with a cart of some sort than carrying all that weight on their back - especially if they are sick and/or injured.

Sunday I cam down with a cold. Yesterday, while going out to get the mail in the dark, I twisted my knee and ankle when I wasn't watching where I was stepping. These kinds of things can happen to anybody.

I'm not 50 anymore.

Also, 20 or 30 or 60, any given person could go farther faster with a cart of some sort than carrying all that weight on their back - especially if they are sick and/or injured.

Sunday I cam down with a cold. Yesterday, while going out to get the mail in the dark, I twisted my knee and ankle when I wasn't watching where I was stepping. These kinds of things can happen to anybody.

I was referencing carrying a 70lb pack plus extras for miles...

As my diet rolls along nicely my goal is to increase my pack load as I decrease body weight. But seriously, a person should keep even an INCH pack to 40lbs or less, cause you'll likely be packing 10 lbs of weapons plus the pack.

Brutus Out

How about an INCH weight of 25 pounds all in, before weapons and ammo? That's kind of my goal at the moment. Wild edibles, stout water filtration, herbal/natural remedies for some wounds to augment the basic first aid kit, limited clothing and supplies.
Right now though, like in other threads, thats just the worst case scenario.... the above is also my goal for just plain camping this summer without all the weapons and ammo..... (Oh, there will be a few guns along anyhow...can't trust everyone on the trails out here)

I did see an interesting concept being used in 3 gun competitions.... basically find yourself an old tricycle baby stroller, rip out some of the fabric and baby seat, mount a few of those ATV gun racks, and lash ammo cans in the bottom, carry up to 6 or 7 rifles and shotguns on what amounts to a baby stroller....

Perhaps the same concept could be applied to the wheeled travois, instead of just lashing the guns to the sides of the bags?

EDIT: COuld be a good way to have 4-5 guns for sale while strolling down the aisles of the Gun Shows........ without needing to be lugging em on your back or shoulders. Of course that would take up space, but its the same as pushing a bratty whining 3 year old with his 1 year old sleeping sibling while talking on the phone about how smelly some of the patrons are :rolleyes:

IMG_05692.jpg

Last Edited:
So now if that little girl can carry about 70%+ of her body weight AND keep up with Marines you whimps should be able to.

She served part of her first tour in a field hospital in Iraq during the fighting in Fallujah Iraq

Good on your daughter for gutting up and carrying the load, shame on the marines for doing that to her.

In all, as humans in the first world, we're living longer healthier lives, for two reasons, first because we don't have to destroy our bodies carrying heavy loads, and we can treat the most common things that killed people previously (disease).

Yea, I can carry a 180lb pack for some miles, but with a cart I can move 1000lbs twice the distance.

I did see an interesting concept being used in 3 gun competitions.... basically find yourself an old tricycle baby stroller, rip out some of the fabric and baby seat, mount a few of those ATV gun racks, and lash ammo cans in the bottom, carry up to 6 or 7 rifles and shotguns on what amounts to a baby stroller....

Perhaps the same concept could be applied to the wheeled travois, instead of just lashing the guns to the sides of the bags?

The main point of a travois, is because you're dragging it, and it's made of wood, there's some springyness and give, and also because it's just sticks, it can't roll backwards. I've pulled a hasty travois up over a hill with a 200lb wild hog on it, I would not want to try the same thing with an offroad stroller. The 3-gun thing is just an extension of what the cowboy 3-gun shooters have been doing for years, making these fancy wooden gun carts. I think the stroller is probably the superior technology there though, except when it comes to stuffing it in the car.

The main point of a travois, is because you're dragging it, and it's made of wood, there's some springyness and give, and also because it's just sticks, it can't roll backwards. I've pulled a hasty travois up over a hill with a 200lb wild hog on it, I would not want to try the same thing with an offroad stroller. The 3-gun thing is just an extension of what the cowboy 3-gun shooters have been doing for years, making these fancy wooden gun carts. I think the stroller is probably the superior technology there though, except when it comes to stuffing it in the car.
There's a way to prevent the wheel from rolling backwards; I think one could scavenge a wheelchair or walker for these parts. One could also scavenge bike parts or industrial parts and make a friction ratchet system that would allow one direction turning.

There's a way to prevent the wheel from rolling backwards; I think one could scavenge a wheelchair or walker for these parts. One could also scavenge bike parts or industrial parts and make a friction ratchet system that would allow one direction turning.

It totally can be done, however you're now looking for a technological solution that can be solved with the use of wooden sticks. :)

It totally can be done, however you're now looking for a technological solution that can be solved with the use of wooden sticks. :)
eh. I like tinkering and making something work lol. a tire leaves less "damage" to a trail than a couple sticks dragging past the edges of single-tracks..... also some trails I like happen to be in rather dense woods with lots of roots....
I say less "damage" because the impact of people walking and using hiking sticks and thin tires are pretty much the same as the wooden sticks.
Granted, one could do the same thing with a Pulk (pull sled) on dirt and mud and grass....but its not as quick as on snow, is it?

The real advantage to the mule or the waist-belt one, is that it's going to lean and let you move a bit. But these are both basically a modified pulk, they just have the advantage of lower ground contact, allowing them to move with less resistance. For trail work, a wheel would be better, but for going across an unimproved field, I think the travois would be faster. Even then, you could just attach some sticks to your mule and drag it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top