JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Then consider the Mule. It is basically a a trailer that you carry/haul.
mule1.jpg

You can use it to carry a wounded comrade (preferably able to shoot as well to cover your six)
the_mule_backpack_1.jpg

Or make your own out of scrap metal. I think a golf bag cart can be a good start....

Another would be a wheeled Pulk that's pulled by your hip belt..

This is very cool, essentially it's a wheeled travois. I'm not really sure I would want to drag something like this (including the weight) up a mountain, but if I was into long term travel on foot, this is certainly the way to go. A few months ago I bought myself a cheap mountain bike, it's decent enough for what it is, and I added pannier racks to the front and back and gave it a rattle-can camo job. When the bike is really loaded down it's easier to just walk with it than to ride it (you end up falling down a lot on rough terrain).

I've been on kinda've a tear lately optimizing my gear, dumping extra junk I end up never using. I've got my essentials gear load down to about 40lbs (weapon, water, food, change of clothes) I think it still needs work, but to be comfortable for any distance, I need to carry about another 40lbs of junk.

The first thing I'd load onto that badboy would be a pair of skates.. for the luging goodness. I'd hold onto my own beer though, thank you very much.

Costco had half ton garden carts with 4 wheels I would prefer (I think).

I saw the intro to a video on these but didn't see how easy it was or wasn't to get on and off you.

Another photo of the thing. Looks like its easier to load and on and off with those extra legs to support it

mule2.png

As for the 4 wheel garden carts, a lot of the game trails are not wide enough... theres another game cart/wheelbarrow that uses mtb wheel and a high deck but you have to use hands to push it around.. and theres another wheeled travois that conncts via a hip belt... but for taking to the roads the garden cart as well as the old bum standby of abandoned shopping carts would work too.

The problem is, last time I checked, which was a few months ago, the guy has not commercialized this yet. I.E., show me where to buy one, and show me someone besides the inventor who has one and has tested it. Not saying it isn't good, but I require more than just the seller to tell me it is good.

There are a number of devices like this - one that is currently being sold is the Dixon Rollerpack.

http://dixonrollerpack.com/3327.html

ffbfb45e6c32c518ffff8ffcffffe417.jpg

And no - she doesn't come with it. :rolleyes:

I watched thier promo video.

The guy that runs Canaidian Prepper (big fit dude) seems to be the face they want to sell it.

Video claimed they were set to create 110 I think they said in the first 10 months, so not going to be super available for a couple year u less you got the scratch to pre order one.

I did like the snap clips or whatever they are called that instantly realeses it from you. Also the disc brake you can lock and I guess just lean back into it to rest instead of having to go thru taking your pack off to sit or lean up against a tree.

5 min promo vid:

30 min bug out vid:

The problem is, last time I checked, which was a few months ago, the guy has not commercialized this yet. I.E., show me where to buy one, and show me someone besides the inventor who has one and has tested it. Not saying it isn't good, but I require more than just the seller to tell me it is good.

There are a number of devices like this - one that is currently being sold is the Dixon Rollerpack.

http://dixonrollerpack.com/3327.html

View attachment 285446

And no - she doesn't come with it. :rolleyes:
Haha; yeah, That's the one I referenced to in the posts about the hip belt attached one... Seems there's a lot of good reviews on that one. It's a good concept, I do agree with you about needing more info/actual place to get the Mule one, but as an idea, it is a good one. Like I said, there are ways to make your own with scrap and stuff.

hahahahahha here's the tactical Somalian cart! Would absolutely not surprise me to see several versions of these out in Portland when the Big One comes... :rolleyes::cool:

I watched thier promo video.

The guy that runs Canaidian Prepper (big fit dude) seems to be the face they want to sell it.

Video claimed they were set to create 110 I think they said in the first 10 months, so not going to be super available for a couple year u less you got the scratch to pre order one.

I did like the snap clips or whatever they are called that instantly realeses it from you. Also the disc brake you can lock and I guess just lean back into it to rest instead of having to go thru taking your pack off to sit or lean up against a tree.

5 min promo vid:

30 min bug out vid:

Good promo video.
It does look like they want to market it to the long haul highway backpackers/hitchhikers and preppers...
I do have some bike frames and a pair of wheelchair wheels (solid rubber)...maybe I ought to look into cutting a triangle section, jury rig a belt attachment, and attach a couple thick aluminum or plastic or even thin plywood panels that are cut out for attaching pack sacks to.... basically make a saddle bag version of these;
ultra-lightweight-game-cart-l.jpg

I would consider a llama to pack my gear. They're very easy to care for, eat everything in our Pac.NW forest and are allowed into into the wilderness where wheels aren't (like the subject contraption). And in a pinch you can eat a llama.:eek:

I would consider a llama to pack my gear. They're very easy to care for, eat everything in our Pac.NW forest and are allowed into into the wilderness where wheels aren't (like the subject contraption). And in a pinch you can eat a llama.:eek:

But they nasty and spit!

I'm not a fan of them after growing up with them.

hahahahahhahahahahhaa

really, these would be more useful than a goat with two airguns.
IMG_0410.jpg

One advantage of these goats? they eat poison oak, but you gotta watch out for the oil on them esp if you're loading them up.....

if ya can't afford a goat, or are concerned about mountain lions out here, then the wheeled carts are better... even if it might limit your access in some areas (after the Big One, or whatever disaster, do you really think they are gonna prosecute for making use of something wheeled on a trail?? You could just stick to the known mtb trails though)

Let me see if I can get some pictures up here. I built a aluminum pull cart for my Neufy to drag around. It uses tall and narrow atv front tires, weighs in at 34 pounds and can carry about 900 pounds. We use it to haul fire wood and it is very easy for my doggy to pull as well as my self if I keep the weight down to around 500 or so pounds on flat ground.

Years ago I was camping up above Marion Lake on the South side of Mt. Jefferson, when 5 Army Rangers came hiking into our camp site bearing what looked like a hundred lbs of gear on their backs.
I asked them where they where headed to and one of them replied that they were making for the coast near Depot Bay and had originally started the trip from somewhere around Madras, and they only had something like five days to do it in.
Right there I determined I wasn't man enough to carry that much on my back, let alone do a forced march straight through a wilderness.

Last Edited:
My barely 5ft tall daughter who at the time weighed about 115 was able to do her US NAVY Corpsman field medical training with the US MARINES she carried her med bag, her weapon, and a Full battle pack of 70lbs on size 5 feet. They did 6 miles hikes over changing terrain.

So now if that little girl can carry about 70%+ of her body weight AND keep up with Marines you whimps should be able to.

She served part of her first tour in a field hospital in Iraq during the fighting in Fallujah Iraq

My barely 5ft tall daughter who at the time weighed about 115 was able to do her US NAVY Corpsman field medical training with the US MARINES she carried her med bag, her weapon, and a Full battle pack of 70lbs on size 5 feet. They did 6 miles hikes over changing terrain.

So now if that little girl can carry about 70%+ of her body weight AND keep up with Marines you whimps should be able to.

She served part of her first tour in a field hospital in Iraq during the fighting in Fallujah Iraq
because one person could do it, doesn't mean the rest of us should.

I could argue that because these people have done it, the rest of us should suck it up and carry our houses on our back ;)
acdbe37dbbbfa91d5276f9d089230808.jpg

sherpa-porter-walking.jpg

There is a reason doctors say we should NOT put too much weight on our backs. Knee and back problems in the long run.... especially if bodies aren't conditioned to carry heavy loads, and I highly doubt many of us routinely carry 60+ lbs on our backs on a daily basis....

Your daughter is awesome, thank her for her service! :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top