Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

If you had unlimited money to build a "gun room"...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by The Heretic, Mar 27, 2016.

1. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

MTpockets likes this.
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

A Navy arms-locker, complete with a small ship built around it. :)

Preferably something big enough to be practical and crane a car aboard, but small enough that I could handle it solo.

3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I would be more than happy with a big concrete hole in the ground with a heavy vault door. I don't need any fancy cabinets

Slobray, Diamondback and spookshack like this.
  4. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah I would have a concrete vault with a bank safe door to get in. It would be floor to ceiling guns. The floor would be covered in pallets of ammo.
    Suppressors for eveything weapon.

Glass cases like any other gun showroom filled with handguns.

Slobray likes this.
  5. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

Funny, when I read the title of this thread, I was NOT thinking like a rich man's den with walnut and leather, a humidor in the corner.

I was thinking a fully-loaded reloading bench, a cleaning station, several safes, advertising and neon signs on the wall. I guess a little more garage/machine shop and a lot less country club.

evltwn and Patriot1668 like this.
  6. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It would be underground and have an attached gun range so I could play with my toys!:D

Patriot1668 and clearconscience like this.
  7. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Remember this place?
    guns.jpg

In all actuality, though. something like @The Heretic posted. A combination of a gentleman's library of old, plus guns and humidors.

clearconscience and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

And an escape tunnel leading a couple hundred yards from the house, with a good vantage point

9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Exactly like the armory I frequented at Ft. Knox!!!!
    Oh and the motor pool full of M60 tanks (I know how to fix them)!!!!:D

10. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

It would be underground, reinforced concrete and steel with dark wood paneling and cabinets with glass paneled doors in the main area.

There would need to be two or three large walk in closets for ammo, powder, and other storage. Each one probably 5' square.

At least one large workshop room included inside the main space. Probably 10' by 20'. Lathe, mill, reloading, etc. At the end of the room would be another, smaller vault door leading to a small room with a 100 yard long, 6' diameter concrete tube with a target pulley system.

At one end of the room would be a large bank vault door for the entrance. Something cool, maybe even an old round bank vault door.

I'm sure by the time all was said and done, the overall size of the concrete and steel shell would need to be at least 20' by 60'.

I'd also likely need a bed and bathroom, as if likely never leave it. Dreams are nice, but reality is a cold harsh bubblegum.

Velzey and spookshack like this.
  11. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

:(

MountainBear likes this.
  12. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had mine designed for about 5 years now. The 2ft wide door is recessed 3 ft into a short hallway with the actual jam of the door out past the walls. This resticts any wedge or lever pounded into the jam to 24" long. The walls would be steel surfaced 12" thick concrete with 1/2" rebar on 4" centers. The room itself would be 15' wide x 30' long with 4) 6ft rifle rack sections along each side a pair of large glass top display tables in the middle with display drawers on both sides, A third table with a solid top to pile stuff up on and drawers below for storage. Ammo storage under the rifle racks in doored cabinets. At the far end of the room would be a 15 ft long bench divided into reloading and gunsmithing. Two large closets for things like shooting clothes on either side of the entrance. There would be a 3ft wide door on one end of the bench that enters into a 4 lane indoor range. With a 100 yard tunnel on one of the lanes made from 3" D corrugated pipe with a target retrieval system. The short lanes would be 25 yards. Ventilation would exit at the end of the 100 yard tunnel. Everything below grade. Ceiling would be 12" concrete with the same rebar as the walls)

Walnut and White Oak paneling in the main room The whole ceiling would be lighted. Heat and humidity systems. 12ft ceiling hunting trophys above the rifle racks.

I have all the drawings and details in my "WHAT IF I WIN THE LOTTERY NOTEBOOK.

spookshack likes this.
  13. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

you guys are all talking vaults and holes in the ground. If as stated by the OP "unlimited money" that room in the first photo would just be what my bathroom would look like. The only part of my gun room that would be under ground would be 300 yard indoor shooting range in my basement. with plenty of room for the NWFA get togethers with all the ammo you could shoot in a day

evltwn likes this.
  14. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

has anybody looked at the pics in the article?

there are a bunch of different gun rooms there of various types with lots of guns

15. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Yeah, I looked. There were some that were close, but not exactly right. I prefer the rooms that look like an old gentlemen so club with dark warm wood paneling and recessed lighting. Not so much into the modern look. Some cool toys to be sure, but likely not my style room.

16. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Nice thing about a ship... they usually have machine-shops onboard for fabrication of spare parts while underway, they come with built in magazines for safe ammo storage and there's plenty of space that could easily be repurposed into a reloading facility.

Hey, at least I didn't talk about turning a C-5 into a flying combination arsenal and armory... raw metal up the nose ramp, crates of finished iron down the tail ramp, just the ticket for liberating oppressed masses in Third World banana-republics. :D

17. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

One of those photos was a cabela's gun library.

18. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

MV5BMjIzMTQwOTQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY5NDQyNA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

The Nothing likes this.
  19. HarryHaller

HarryHaller Kalama, WA Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

We had a thread about buying guns seeing them in movies, I've definitely dreamed about gun rooms after seeing Commando, A Low Down Dirty Shame, and of course Tremors. I have simple modern style tastes, concrete and steel would be all I'd need. Diamond plate walls with chrome grid wall racks, and a few rows of lights.

I'm pretty stoked because I'm pretty close to achieving my dream. This last summer I installed grid walls in my gun room to display my collection. I've also put in heavy duty steel shelves in the closet that houses my safe for ammo and mags. It's a work in progress, but every time I walk in and the guns are all hanging up there I'm smile and feel like a 90's action hero.

20. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Mine would be invisible to anyone but me.:p

Hdshot likes this.