JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am interested in some Caliber discussion for take down power, and end of threat.
I am finding more and more stories of home invasion shootouts where the suspects although hit in the torso, end up just fine. Not that I wish death on anyone, but if I come under threat I want something that ends the threat and not just wounds, as in if i hit my mark end of story.

Here is a perfect example, the suspects were hit and decided to flee, but in all honesty could have stayed and continued the assault.

"A mother and son were enjoying the evening when armed men broke through the front door of their home with a rifle and handgun demanding money. The 15 year old son was shot in the leg and the mother the arm as she tried to get to the back of the home."

http://junkyarddog911.blogspot.com/2014/06/mother-son-shot-in-home-invasion-father.html

My "plan" is to start with the 9mm I carry on me, but if it takes more than 18rnds to get to the 870 loaded with 16rnds of 00 buck; my wife had better have the safe open!

Hello JYD911

You are asking a very broad question that I feel doesn't have a clear answer. You could defend your house with a S&W 500, but if you can't hit the broad side of a barn it won't make much difference. Likewise a .38 could do just as well. A lot has to do with your accuracy and the conditions under which you are shooting

I will say that most people choose one of the popular three rounds for personal defense, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP.

However as stated above you could also use a shotgun, great stopping power.

Home invasion is my worst fear since I dont carry when i am in my safe zone.
Small children in the house means all firearms are locked up.
My weapon would most likely be my pocket knife since it is always in my pocket.
If i had time to retrieve a firearm, i have a 12 ga with staggered rounds set up for the task.

oh no, caliber war is back. :eek:

best caliber is one that you can shoot well. shot placement (training) is the key.

9mm is smallest I will go down to for defensive round.

Any service caliber will make a fine defensive round, inside the home or not. I tried .40 SW for awhile but it was cost prohibitive. I'm back to 9mm and am staying put.

Given the choice I'd take 30 rounds of M193 or 75gr OTM.

best caliber is one that you can shoot well. shot placement.

Yes!

Fast target acquisition and shot placement should be thought of first before jackin the jaws about caliber selection.
Too much of the usual, jaw jackin and not enough of getting actual training time.

If I can't settle it with 7 rds of 00 buck, then I have bigger problems then I expect. win pump 12 004.JPG

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I was going to get excited that there was an extension tube that could hold 16 rounds in my 870.

KSG holds 7+7+1 of 2¾ or 11+11+1 of Aguila half size.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

300 weatherby! 1 shot, fight is over.
Only if you hit the perp!

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

best caliber is one that you can shoot well. shot placement (training) is the key.
9mm is smallest I will go down to for defensive round.
Which is why I carry a 1911 in .45.
.380 in my bathrobe pocket.
Taurus Judge in the bedroom.
12 Ga in the bedroom closet.
Attack cats on duty, all seven of them.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top