JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

lightsaber.jpg

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Only if you hit the perp!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"
I never miss

To the OP: This is a contentious issue, and a like of cyber-ink has been spilled on it.

Yes, the old adage that "whatever you shoot well is best" is certainly true. I doubt a .22LR pistol fits that description, but anything from 9mm and up should be fine. Personally--even though I have 2 shotguns at the ready (hobby farmer, I have coyotes and birds of prey to contend with, too), I don't think shotguns that useful. They are too long, easily deflected by an attacker, and the shot spread is too tight to take full advantage of the pattern. For my taste, I believe the answer is a semi-automatic hand gun. The least useful would be a rifle. YMMV.

For what it is worth, I have all of the above (shotguns, rifles, semi-autos, even revolvers) at the ready. My go-to weapon would depend on the room I was in at the time of need. No kids in the house, so I don't worry about locking them away.

Like others, a good shotgun is hard to beat. As far as shot size? I personally wouldn't want to get hit by ANY but my choice is #4 turkey loads.

If fighting from the bedroom is a 44spl.

If fighting from the ground floor most likely its going to be a 12ga with 8rds of low base game loads (at the range I can get in my house the shot will be all within about 6"D.

If fighting serious they best enjoy 30-06 being flung at them with rapid abandon.

I have kids and my guns are locked up so I don't have such an elaborate plan. I think if I can effectively cycle rounds to the bad guys center mass and head then I'm ahead of the game. Caliber aside, shot placement is critical.

I have kids and my guns are locked up so I don't have such an elaborate plan. I think if I can effectively cycle rounds to the bad guys center mass and head then I'm ahead of the game. Caliber aside, shot placement is critical.

Kruejl, check out the ShotLoc shotgun safe. Bolts to a wall and closes over the action of your scattergun. Very strong, you create your own combination, opens really FAST! I got mine at Costco on line at a greatly reduced price, don't know if they still carry them. Now I know that no kid can access my 870!
Aside from the 870 above I always carry a 9mm around the house. BTW, the shotgun is loaded with 3" #4 buck.

I don't have much ready but a 1911 and attack (hahahaha can't even type it without laughing) dogs.
pdrake,if your shotgun can be deflected,I think you already lost the fight.
I would say a shotgun is the easiest for most to control and hit stuff with.Markw I believe bird shot might work and have argued for it but my friend shot a coyote at about 10 yards with it and the dog ran away when it got it's wind back.A heavy coat would slow the shot down.
BUT!! 5-8 consecutive shots will wreck a mofo's day bad
#4 or better would be my choice if I used a shotty.
Any caliber will work if you can place the shot. 22lr will work if you can place all the shots in the melon and can't handle recoil of larger calibers

Kruejl, check out the ShotLoc shotgun safe. Bolts to a wall and closes over the action of your scattergun. Very strong, you create your own combination, opens really FAST! I got mine at Costco on line at a greatly reduced price, don't know if they still carry them. Now I know that no kid can access my 870!
Aside from the 870 above I always carry a 9mm around the house. BTW, the shotgun is loaded with 3" #4 buck.

I will, thanks! :cool:

I don't have much ready but a 1911 and attack (hahahaha can't even type it without laughing) dogs.
pdrake,if your shotgun can be deflected,I think you already lost the fight.
I would say a shotgun is the easiest for most to control and hit stuff with.Markw I believe bird shot might work and have argued for it but my friend shot a coyote at about 10 yards with it and the dog ran away when it got it's wind back.A heavy coat would slow the shot down.
BUT!! 5-8 consecutive shots will wreck a mofo's day bad
#4 or better would be my choice if I used a shotty.
Any caliber will work if you can place the shot. 22lr will work if you can place all the shots in the melon and can't handle recoil of larger calibers

I can't argue with any of this. Whatever you own, practice with it, have lots of ammunition, keep it loaded and handy, and USE if necessary.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the volume of noise. Very few of you have ever experienced a live round inside a room. A shotgun's report in your living room will cause deafness. A .44 magnum likewise. This is one thing that you don't want to practice, believe me. :(

I can't argue with any of this. Whatever you own, practice with it, have lots of ammunition, keep it loaded and handy, and USE if necessary.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the volume of noise. Very few of you have ever experienced a live round inside a room. A shotgun's report in your living room will cause deafness. A .44 magnum likewise. This is one thing that you don't want to practice, believe me. :(

Agreed. I was in a 12x14 room when a .38 went off. Instant deaf for several minutes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top