Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

If you had to choose one of these two, which would it be?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by old11bravo, Feb 21, 2016.

1. old11bravo

old11bravo Everett, Washington Well-Known Member

First of all I'll preface this thread by saying that I've always told myself I would never own a gun and "NOT" shoot it. Now I have two that I just can't bring myself to shoot. I'm thinking about selling at least one of them. If you had to choose, which one would you sell and why would you sell it, as opposed to selling the other?

It's like picking one of your children over the other. Difficult does not begin to describe. Both were purchased by me from the private party sellers as unfired. I myself have not shot either so they are both represented as BNIB. They both appear to have been handled quite a bit but they are both still in fantastic condition.

Smith & Wesson 66-2 .357 Magnum[/COLOR] (bought pre 594) BNIB with a serial # that was tracked on the S&W forum as a 1983 manufacture date.

2ik88ll.jpg

VS.

Smith & Wesson 29-3 .44 Magnum Classic Hunter (bought post 594) Lew Horton Edition?

2d77od1.jpg

mjbskwim likes this.
  2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Do not sell, keep them both. They are money in the savings account.

3. defending fathers 1787

defending fathers 1787 SW Washington Member

I would keep both and start shooting one of them.
    but if one must decide
    sell the Smith & Wesson 29-3 .44 Magnum Classic Hunter

salmonriverjohn and nwwoodsman like this.
  4. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like the classic look of the 66-2 and would be my choice to keep.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  5. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Keep the 66-2

6. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Keep the 66-2...Why would you not shoot them? That's what they were made for.

7. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I owned S&Ws that were safe queens for decades, then sold em...asked myself why I carried those anchors behind me for decades, just for a few dollars 'profit'?
    Life is for living, enjoy every moment you have, if you own a special gun, fire a few rounds, What's the Big Whoop?:p

drs, Mikej and salmonriverjohn like this.
  8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Keep the 29 and shoot it.

The 66 has a deep forcing cone, and in return the barrel is thin. It breaks, and when it breaks it cracks the frame... In the 6 o'clock position..hmmm whys my barrel loose..
    I've sent two of them into Smith this last year.
    Nope they will not warranty them. No spare frames available :(

9. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

awesome guns. if i owned them if shoot them. A lot. im just that type. however, i own 5 guns that no amount of money ever could buy.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

There have been several times in my life where I had to say goodbye to real PPL. That taught me to scale-back my sense of lose for inanimate objects, sell em both, start a new life. I'll leave it at that

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. transittech

transittech PDX Well-Known Member

Sell both of them to me super cheap...:D:p

If they were mine, I would keep both unless I needed the money. Quit beating yourself up on self-imposed ultimatums.

My 2cents...

12. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I own an identical 66-2. Never parting with it.

13. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Geeze, Keith's had a 66 like that in the used counter, for $650.00 I think!

Picked up a pristine no-dash 686 6" a couple years ago. I don't shoot it much, just do what feels right. I have other guns to shoot on a regular basis. Also picked up a real low round count 19 that I treat the same.

Oh, it means a lot, if after you DO shoot them, tuck 'em in beside you in bed for the night, so they feel "LESS USED".:s0155:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  14. Marine Airedale

Marine Airedale Central Oregon Coast Member

I would say it depends upon what you want to keep them for, investment, shooters etc. I have been a S&W revolver driver for 40 years. Personally, I cannot see owning a firearm you do not shoot as I am not a collector. Granted there are some critters in the safe than have not been exercised in awhile.

Have owned M29s, but never a classic, a 19, 66, 686 6" and a 60 I swapped out for a 686-1 2 1/2" after I retired (it is my lightweight carry revolver now ... lol). Like all of the Smiths I do/did not beat them to death with Mastodon killin' loads at the range, those loads are used for carry.

Back in the day when I had a 29 6" and a 66 4" (the 66 was actually bought for the Mrs) when I would go out shootin' with the boys I found myself almost always taking the .357. Was just more enjoyable to shoot.

So, personally if I had both and had to get rid of one it would be the 29 classic. If I did not want to shoot them because they are unfired I would sell both and get something I would shoot. I would not mind to own another 29 or a 25 if I could find one but it would be a 4". Granted your hand will pay for it but they are just so much easier to tote around.

15. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

I would shoot the 29 and save the 66 (since it's not been shot yet) and when I went to sell, the 66 would go.

16. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I would shoot the 66 just because the boolits are cheaper.

If you do not need the money, I don't see the point of selling either one...

edited the top line to say I WOULD instead of If

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  17. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd keep the 66.. no contest. Pretty much the perfect practical shootin arn.

18. Ronin Tech

Ronin Tech Snohomish Member

sell the children, keep the guns. lol

Joe13 and mjbskwim like this.
  19. Robear

Robear Oregon New Member

Shane, guns are tools not virgins. Sell them both and buy guns you'll shoot.

20. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

:s0139::s0023::s0133:
    WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
    I think 44mag is a great lever gun round,so I would sell the 29 first.If it's a even inches then it should bring a pretty penny.
    But right now ,with the political climate ,I would sock every gun away I could and not worry if I shoot it or not.Hide them so you don't think about it and wait a year.

transittech and Joe13 like this.