JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First of all I'll preface this thread by saying that I've always told myself I would never own a gun and "NOT" shoot it. Now I have two that I just can't bring myself to shoot. I'm thinking about selling at least one of them. If you had to choose, which one would you sell and why would you sell it, as opposed to selling the other?

It's like picking one of your children over the other. Difficult does not begin to describe. Both were purchased by me from the private party sellers as unfired. I myself have not shot either so they are both represented as BNIB. They both appear to have been handled quite a bit but they are both still in fantastic condition.

Smith & Wesson 66-2 .357 Magnum[/COLOR] (bought pre 594) BNIB with a serial # that was tracked on the S&W forum as a 1983 manufacture date.

2ik88ll.jpg

VS.

Smith & Wesson 29-3 .44 Magnum Classic Hunter (bought post 594) Lew Horton Edition?

2d77od1.jpg

I owned S&Ws that were safe queens for decades, then sold em...asked myself why I carried those anchors behind me for decades, just for a few dollars 'profit'?
Life is for living, enjoy every moment you have, if you own a special gun, fire a few rounds, What's the Big Whoop?:p

Keep the 29 and shoot it.

The 66 has a deep forcing cone, and in return the barrel is thin. It breaks, and when it breaks it cracks the frame... In the 6 o'clock position..hmmm whys my barrel loose..
I've sent two of them into Smith this last year.
Nope they will not warranty them. No spare frames available :(

There have been several times in my life where I had to say goodbye to real PPL. That taught me to scale-back my sense of lose for inanimate objects, sell em both, start a new life. I'll leave it at that

Sell both of them to me super cheap...:D:p

If they were mine, I would keep both unless I needed the money. Quit beating yourself up on self-imposed ultimatums.

My 2cents...

Geeze, Keith's had a 66 like that in the used counter, for $650.00 I think!

Picked up a pristine no-dash 686 6" a couple years ago. I don't shoot it much, just do what feels right. I have other guns to shoot on a regular basis. Also picked up a real low round count 19 that I treat the same.

Oh, it means a lot, if after you DO shoot them, tuck 'em in beside you in bed for the night, so they feel "LESS USED".:s0155:

Last Edited:
I would say it depends upon what you want to keep them for, investment, shooters etc. I have been a S&W revolver driver for 40 years. Personally, I cannot see owning a firearm you do not shoot as I am not a collector. Granted there are some critters in the safe than have not been exercised in awhile.

Have owned M29s, but never a classic, a 19, 66, 686 6" and a 60 I swapped out for a 686-1 2 1/2" after I retired (it is my lightweight carry revolver now ... lol). Like all of the Smiths I do/did not beat them to death with Mastodon killin' loads at the range, those loads are used for carry.

Back in the day when I had a 29 6" and a 66 4" (the 66 was actually bought for the Mrs) when I would go out shootin' with the boys I found myself almost always taking the .357. Was just more enjoyable to shoot.

So, personally if I had both and had to get rid of one it would be the 29 classic. If I did not want to shoot them because they are unfired I would sell both and get something I would shoot. I would not mind to own another 29 or a 25 if I could find one but it would be a 4". Granted your hand will pay for it but they are just so much easier to tote around.

I would shoot the 66 just because the boolits are cheaper.

If you do not need the money, I don't see the point of selling either one...

edited the top line to say I WOULD instead of If

Last Edited:
sell the children, keep the guns. lol
:s0139::s0023::s0133:
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
I think 44mag is a great lever gun round,so I would sell the 29 first.If it's a even inches then it should bring a pretty penny.
But right now ,with the political climate ,I would sock every gun away I could and not worry if I shoot it or not.Hide them so you don't think about it and wait a year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top