JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So since my friends brother wasn't in the car and it's not my friends pistol, he could of got in trouble? Again, my friend does have a cpl.
I'll refrain from saying he could not have got in trouble as it would depend on whether the LEO was abiding by the law or not. If he was then no he would not have, see my reply just before this which is the RCW that covers this.

It says the licensee must be in the vehicle. Since he has cpl, it can be anyone's pistol and he's fine? Doesn't matter who's pistol it is?
As long as he is legally in possession of it then it shouldn't matter. If I-594 passes then that would be another story as I think it would be an illegal transfer without a background check. (I would need to look close at the exceptions to be sure and even then it might not be clear as the initiative is pretty confusing)

I have NEVER seen such a law in WA. Can you please show your source or what law the person would be charged with?

Exactly right. When underway the person owning the gun and having a permit must be present in the vehicle and have it under his "control" So, if the owner was in the back seat it could get you arrested.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Exactly right. When underway the person owning the gun and having a permit must be present in the vehicle and have it under his "control" So, if the owner was in the back seat it could get you arrested.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Deen - That is not correct. RCW 9.41.050 (2)(a) is pretty clear about a pistol in an automobile. (ii) "the licensee is within the vehicle at all times the pistol is there". Dave Workman provided me a copy of the AGs opinion on this that clarifies and supports 9.41.050(2)(a)(ii).

Also, there is no requirement that the "owner" of the pisrol be in the vehicle. If there is a loaded pistol in a motor vehicle and the vehicle is occupied, someone in the car better have a CPL. One more thing, the pistol does not have to be on your body. It can be anywhere in the vehicle. This was also clarified by the AG.

Now this is for Washington, not some other state.

It's not required but I will hand the officer my license, registration, insurance and CPL if/when I get stopped. I believe they don't intend to harm innocent folks and out of respect I will inform them I have a pistol in this manner. They have a tough job to do, I don't need to make it harder on them.

If I'm not carrying, I won't show my CPL. No need to.

In your situation, I believe that if your friend has a CPL and there was a pistol in the car, that is legal. Your friend not knowing about it could make things interesting though, especially if asked about firearms and telling the officer no and then it's in the glove box.

Uhhh... Not if you're dead! And that DOES happen.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

Yes it does happen, but not often. A more often reaction would be the officer pulling his gun and treating you like a violent felon, which is why I hand over my license - because there's no calm way to say "I've got a gun". You deal with it at the time and follow up. In that particular scenario, an officer that would over-react to you handing over your license would go even farther if he were to 'discover' the weapon and you hadn't told him about it. It just makes matters worse.

My expectation when I hand over the license is that the officer will hand it back and ask where the weapon is at which point I will tell him and he will advise me to leave it there. He does whatever he needs to do and we both go on our way. If he gets all freaked out and goes off the deep end, then I will be talking in person to his chief or sheriff. If I end up on a slab, my family will make sure that every dime he makes for the rest of his life goes to them and he will never be in a position of authority again.

The job attracts a wide spectrum of people, from those that are 'cool', to those who love authority, and those who are bullies. Just like every other area of society. I'm willing to start on the high ground and walk down to the mud pits when necessary.

elsie

Thanks everyone again for the input! I agree GunRightsCoalition, it is irresponsible to leave a loaded or even unloaded firearm in a vehicle your letting someone borrow. Situation could of been a lot worse if the LEO would of flew off the deep end. Thankfully it didn't!

None of his business. I have proven by a background check to not have criminal tendencies, I've taken a gun safety course, I have a legal right to carry concealed, and he has no more right to ask me about that than to ask about my private life, in other words, MYOB.
I have no business asking him if he is exercising his legal rights and he has no business asking me. Also, I'm innocent until proven guilty, if he asks me if I have a gun he should ask if I have a permit first, then, if I don't he can ask about the gun, but then he is asking me to incriminate myself, and I wouldn't answer, nor give permission to search.
A traffic stop is not a good time to make new friends, nor enemies for that matter, it's business, and that within very narrow confines.

In Oregon or Washington as soon as the officer runs your drivers license he will know you have a permit. It is not required to tell the officer up front but I believe telling them you have a permit up front shows the officer you are not trying to hide anything.

Last summer my wife and I were pulled over for a burned out brake light by a Washing State officer. The conversation went like this.

Me, "Good afternoon officer, here is my license and my concealed carry permit."

Officer, "are you armed today?"

Me, "yes Sir I am."

Officer, "where are you carrying?"

Me, "Right hip."

Officer, "OK, lets leave it there. I stopped you today to let you know you have a break light out. You might want to get it fixed as some officers will ticket you for it."

Me, "Thank you Sir. We are on our way to town and I will stop and get a new bulb at the parts store."

Officer, "Great. You folks have a great day."

Me. "Thanks, you too."

We were on our way in about two minutes without any problems. I believe my being up front with the officer, having my license and CC permit out and ready with both my hands on the steering wheel gave him the clue I was not a threat and made the whole interaction easier than if the data would have come up on his computer without my telling him.

Just my opinion but in many years of carrying in both states I have yet to be in any situation that would change my mind.

Could you imagine all the things that you would have to hand over...
"Yes officer my license and registration is here... AND here is my CCP, my License to Practice Engineering, my Obamacare card, and my CPR certification.

Last Edited:
I've done both routes, both times without a hitch. If the cop starts off "snotty" (Hood River OSP who looked like he was barely 18) I'll let him gain his own info (if he bothers with that deep of an inquiry while running my info).

If the cop is "cool" (like in my hometown) or outright asks me, then I volunteer as much info as requested/needed.

I was pulled over by a Whatcom County Sheriff Deputy tonight and it was the first time being pulled over since I got my CPL I turned on the map lights in the pickup truck, rolled the window down, and put my hands on the steering wheel. The insurance and registration were in the glove compartment and I waited for the deputy to shine his flashlight into my car before opening the glove box. I'm sure when he ran my driver's license it will show I have a CPL, but since Washington is a do not inform state I kept quiet. If he asked then I would have said said yes of course. I was polite as was the deputy and I got off with a warning about my speed.

Week ago OR Clackamas County sunny Sunday 9am northbound on 242nd.
Wife said "you're speeding, slow down!
Instantly, from oncoming traffic, Clack Co deputy passed me, hung a u-turn.
She was right, again.
(radar is more sophisticated now, it measures stationary and oncoming, and corrects for base speed)
"Sir you were doing 59.6 mph in a 45 zone, may I see your license please?"
I opened my wallet, handed him my license, revealing my CCL.
"Sir, I see you are licensed to carry a firearm, are you are carrying today?"
Yes, right hip.
"Lets keep it where it is, I won't show you mine if you don't show me yours."
Yes, sir.
He went back to his cruiser to run my ID, only took a moment.
"Sir, 15 mph over the limit fine is $216, watch your speed more closely, have a nice day."

4) Don't offer up any information for free (i.e. "just so you know, there's a gun in the trunk") but if asked "are their any weapons in the car?" Answer truthfully. "Yeah, there's a rifle in the trunk, we're headed out to a friend's house to get the stock painted." I am licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

Here I fixed this for you. ;)

If you answer his question you may get a reaction you do not wish. Further more he has no need to know if your armed or not. If your licensed, your licensed. Period. They need not be privy to that information. Just like it's not reasonable for them to search any car they want. Having a gun does not mean you have intent to break the law. Giving them information that they don't need allows them to get used to getting information they don't need. And then it becomes the norm. After that, anything out of the norm becomes suspicious (unjustly) to them.

I recall the first time I was pulled over I handed over my ODL and my CHL at the same time without him asking anything. He then asked if the gun was in the car and I said, yes (bad move). He then asked if I had a problem with him searching my vehicle, and as a good little boy I said, yes. He then commanded me to get out of the car and keep my hands on the hood of my car. He asked for a location of my firearm. And like a good little boy I said "in the glove box." (don't keep it there anymore btw, now it's always on my person.) He inspected the gun, had issues clearing it, muzzle swiped me as he walked back to his patrol car and ran my gun against known stolen guns.

After this he gave me my gun back and we both went on our way. But looking back at it there was 2 main things wrong with this situation that happens far too often even though it didn't end poorly.

1) Yes, he did ask for my permission to search and yes, I did say yes. At this time I didn't fully appreciate my rights or fully understand them. Unreasonable search and seizure means just that. If we give in and allow officers to search when they have no legal precedent we invite abuse by making it abnormal to resist. Further more now there is record of my gun, in some manner, of being ran against a stolen gun list.

2) HE ****** MUZZLE SWIPED ME WITH MY OWN GUN! No one need touch my guns unless I give them permission. Period.

Don't volunteer any information you are not legally obligated to. Period.

I encourage those that have CHL's to respond when asked "do you have a weapon" just respond "I am legally permitted via CHL to have a weapon."

Eagle

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads