JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Spotted this in St Helens, Or, the town I grew up in in the 80's. When I was younger hunting and fishing a way of life for most of the locals. We'd spend days on the water catching salmon in the Columbia, target practicing in the woods, and deer hunting. It wasn't uncommon to see a deer hung from a neighbors tree or to spend a weekend afternoon cleaning fish at the docks. That wasn't that long ago. This is what my old stomping grounds is facing now. billboard.jpg

billboard.jpg

For perspective, this is also what our stomping grounds is facing. My hiker friends are tired of finding clay targets, shotgun hulls, and busted TVs in the woods.

I'm not supporting this billboard, but the trash is convincing. If it continues to grow, a ballot measure or ODF ban on target shooting would not be a surprise.

This is a real and big problem. True!Some who shoot, litter areas like this one. My shooting buddy and several others I know clean these areas from time to time. We also reported a group of kids dumping 50 or more tires to the Oregon state Police near the town of Sutherlin, and little was done to them.If they had to clean these areas for say a year as punishment, they might think twice before doing it again. Also might add.........Hikers also litter. I have seen their water bottles and diapers and such on trails.

For perspective, this is also what our stomping grounds is facing.
So who specifically are the people leaving the areas like this? Is it the local 'White Trash'? Is is a new generation of young gun owners who have no respect for anything? We need to know the demographic of those leaving the areas like this to even begin to work on a solution.

"The forests are of our county don't belong to the hunters & gun boys" - wtf???

"Safe from weapons harm" ??

"Data from the State of Oregon" ? What data?

"It's about Crime!" - What crime is this referencing?

Is this even real?

I understand anyone can buy a billboard i guess but this seems a bit off to me

nwwoodsman did you take this picture? or where did this image come from?

Edit:

Well according to the thread on this forum it is real?

Not sure that we have too much to worry about i guess. Quite laughable.

Is this even real?

I understand anyone can buy a billboard i guess but this seems a bit off to me

nwwoodsman did you take this picture? or where did this image come from?

Unfortunately it is real as hard as it is to believe. I was the one who originally brought this up on the Columbia County Weapons Facebook page. The day I saw it, about 3 weeks ago, I didn't have a camera so I asked if it would be possible for another member to take a picture and someone else went out and snapped the picture. Exact location is here. This is obviously an older picture.

For perspective, this is also what our stomping grounds is facing. My hiker friends are tired of finding clay targets, shotgun hulls, and busted TVs in the woods.

I'm not supporting this billboard, but the trash is convincing. If it continues to grow, a ballot measure or ODF ban on target shooting would not be a surprise.

I know exactly where that spot is and it is an embarrassment. I went there once and decided not to return.

Keith

So who specifically are the people leaving the areas like this? Is it the local 'White Trash'? Is is a new generation of young gun owners who have no respect for anything? We need to know the demographic of those leaving the areas like this to even begin to work on a solution.

I've seen similar over the years, this isn't new behavior. Larch Mountain in the early 90s comes to mind; I never went back there either.

Keith

Until they are actually confronted about their habits of leaving trash its going to continue. There was an area a short distance up the FS road from my home that was turning into this. When I heard shots being fired I threw in a few targets, some rifles and ammo and joined in. After a few conversations with the same group of kids that were frequenting the area shooting their habits changed for the better. Yes they were locals and as such were easier to talk to, but the mentality of "why pick it up, nobody else does" soon changed.

I photographed this billboard near my home on 12-29-13. It is located on Milton Way, St. Helens, Oregon.

This is a Anti-Firearm / Anti-Hunting statement, disguised as some kind of a PSA. Nothing in it is factual at all. Citizens are safer in the woods, than in cities. The forest land is well over 90% privately owned in Columbia County, so it is up to the timber companies to decide what happens on their property. Hikers, bikers and nature study combined, do not provide a fraction of the money to the economy or the State of Oregon, that hunters and fishermen do. And since it is all false, they do not provide a link to any data supporting these claims or even put a name of who paid for it on the billboard.

Please feel free to use my photograph and send it to any group or organization that you can.
I have been posting it on every open hunting and sportsman group I can on FB.

Thank's

M67

1-005_zpse3cfc0dc.jpg

I have eaten quite a few pizzas at sunshine pizza in St Helens, I am a little surprised there is a sign like this there ? Wonder whom paid to put it up ?

0_o

" The forests are of our county don't belong to the hunters & gun boys " <<--- whisky, tango, foxtrot

Seems the patchouli oil and dreadlocks are strong with this one...

Yeah I had to read that part of the sign several times to figure out what the hell it was saying.

That being said, cleanups are necessary. I've seen places like that photo above many times, and worse, one just a few miles from my home. I don't know anyone in my area to organize a cleanup, so I've just been taking trash out as I go and dropping it off at the nearest gas station dumpster.

The terrible grammar of this billboard is a safety hazard/distraction for drivers.

Some one needs to get up there and spray paint a huge DERP! over the top of it

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top