JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

"(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle."

If you can legally own guns it's just easier to have your permit. A few years back my license was expired so I decided to open carry in Beaverton. Lucky me, I never got in trouble but it's just too much of a hassle to not have a CHL/CCW because the city and county can sit there and make their dumb laws but it won't apply to you because your a STATE licensed person :s0155:. Plus when a cop comes up to you and starts acting a fool, telling you about how you can't open carry, you can just show them the license and tell them they are wrong. I personally loved putting some LEOs in their place.... Normally it's not like that but when they come up to me acting like they are a know it all, well I take pleasure in educating them. I don't do it in a rude/immature way but I let them know that they are wrong and I just tell them what Oregon's firearms laws are for those who have a permit to carry. They also should just call it a PISTOL LICENSE..... Washington Co. calls it a Concealed Handgun License and that screws people up...... concealed? so shouldn't it be concealed? I have had cops tell me "well your license said CONCEALED, so you have to keep it concealed".

They also should just call it a PISTOL LICENSE..... Washington Co. calls it a Concealed Handgun License and that screws people up...... concealed? so shouldn't it be concealed? I have had cops tell me "well your license said CONCEALED, so you have to keep it concealed".

It only covers you for CONCEALED carry, nothing else, not even open carry which is covered by state law.

My WA permit is a License To Carry Concealed Pistol or CPL.
My OR permit is a Concealed Handgun License or CHL.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

It only covers you for CONCEALED carry, nothing else, not even open carry which is covered by state law.

My WA permit is a License To Carry Concealed Pistol or CPL.
My OR permit is a Concealed Handgun License or CHL.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

Okay.... so when I read ORS 166.173 and 166.370 it says nothing about open carry or conceal carry, just position. Washington County's conceal handgun department told me that with a license I can conceal carry (obviously) and I can also open carry if I choose to. As far as I know, there are no laws that prohibit you from Open carrying with a license..... unless I am not aware of such a law.

He's absolutely correct. If you do not have a licensed to carry a concealed weapon, the moment you sit down into a car....the weapon has become "concealed". You may carry that same weapon on your person if you want, but it MUST be unloaded, and the ammunition stored in a separate part of the vehicle....IE: in the trunk, in a locked box, in a locked glove compartment. The way they see it, is that if you don't have a permit, than you shouldn't have the ability to access, load, and fire you're gun without having to stop driving. (again) IE.....no easy drive-by's.

Washington State CPL is fairly easy to get. Pay the $ do the background check and it shows up in the mail. It prevents a lot of hastle, plus I am in the mind set why ruin the surprise for the bad guy if that time ever comes.

He's absolutely correct. If you do not have a licensed to carry a concealed weapon, the moment you sit down into a car....the weapon has become "concealed". You may carry that same weapon on your person if you want, but it MUST be unloaded, and the ammunition stored in a separate part of the vehicle....IE: in the trunk, in a locked box, in a locked glove compartment. The way they see it, is that if you don't have a permit, than you shouldn't have the ability to access, load, and fire you're gun without having to stop driving. (again) IE.....no easy drive-by's.

Actually, this is not correct. The applicable Washington law was posted previously in this thread, and there is no requirement to have the ammunition stored in a separate part of the vehicle. You can remove the magazine, remove the round from the chamber, duct tape them to the gun, and duct tape that to your forehead, and you would be perfectly legal.

For a good reference, download the Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet from the Washington section of opencarry.org

Okay.... so when I read ORS 166.173 and 166.370 it says nothing about open carry or conceal carry, just position. Washington County's conceal handgun department told me that with a license I can conceal carry (obviously) and I can also open carry if I choose to. As far as I know, there are no laws that prohibit you from Open carrying with a license..... unless I am not aware of such a law.

doesn' require a permit, it's part of OR law, but Portland passed their own law the makes it illegal in city limits. Does OR have a preemption law like WA so cities can't have laws more restrictive than the state law?

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

my 2 cents--i read it in the forums awhile back,that you can carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle--if you are on the way hunting,or fishing--or on a return trip from the same--check w/ "coctailer" i think he might be the one that posted it-p.s. you must have a hunting,or fishing license on person !

steven

My understanding of the Oregon law is that the gun must be either unloaded and in plain view, or locked away in the trunk or failing that glove box or locked box of some kind...with the key NOT in the lock. The law stressed the key-in-lock part but made no specific mention of whether the gun has to be unloaded while locked away. I keep a pistol loaded in a holster locked in the glovebox while I'm out and about. If that's illegal, though, I need remedy that fast.

my 2 cents--i read it in the forums awhile back,that you can carry a loaded handgun in the vehicle--if you are on the way hunting,or fishing--or on a return trip from the same

Yes, Washington law includes an exception to the CPL requirement for "lawful outdoor recreation," including travel to and from. RCW 9.41.060(8):

Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area.

p.s. you must have a hunting,or fishing license on person
As you can see from the statute, that isn't necessarily true, though having one helps demonstrate that you were participating in "lawful outdoor recreation". (If you look like you're hunting, but have no hunting license, and are carrying concealed, it wouldn't be hard to conclude that you are actually poaching, and therefore not engaged in lawful outdoor recreation.)

Camping, hiking and horseback riding are all explicitly listed as lawful outdoor recreational activities, and no license or permit is required for any of them. Barring any restrictions on your right to possess a firearm, you can carry concealed while engaged in these activities, licensed or not. (I believe, but am not sure, that mountain biking would also qualify. I'm sure there are others.)

My personal opinion is that one should not rely heavily on the "traveling to or from" piece of this exception. When you're not actually out on a trail, "all attendant circumstances" are less likely to clearly demonstrate that you qualify for this exception. Better, as others have said, to just get the CPL.

Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

+1 for the fellow beating me to the punch on OC.

Oregon CCW card trumps Local laws against it, but expect to eventually have the police called, (even if you haven't broken a single law) if you choose to OC.

Again, carry the applicable law, if not the URL to the state laws on a business card to hand to responding LEO and Freakouts both.

If you're going to be a visible ambassador for the gun community, you'd better be patient, and ready to educate.

The last thing we need are news stories about a OC person in any kind of negative light.

Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

That is what I think I heard in an Oregon class. Most major OR cities have city ordinance bans against open carry. You can still conceal carry in those cities with your permit, but you'd be in trouble if you tried OC.

In WA however, there are no such city ordinances that override state law. So you can open carry without a permit (tech) as long as you don't enter a vehicle. If you have a permit, then you can OC in a vehicle. You mainly have to watch out for people "feeling" threatened. Then they can get you into trouble. So be sure to be friendly and do a lot of smiling. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top