JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of my favorite shotgun quotes comes from Trulock chokes. This line follows a Lead Shot Choke Chart which shows the percentages of shot in the traditional 40 yard /30" circle usually expected from different choke constrictions - with an important caveat:

"If you do not pattern your gun please feel free to accept this chart as being infallible."

Shotgun Choke Information

just like rifles...each shotgun may prefer a certain loading...And just 'cause one load works well with a shotgun and a given choke...it doesn't mean that it will work well with a different shotgun , even with the same choke...
It pays in the hunting field to practice with your hunting load and to know where and how it shoots at a given range.
Andy

Some of the new made ones come with a IC / Mod choke or even interchangeable chokes...so that might help with a pattern ...the overall length of the gun may help or hinder the guns "swing" for hunting...

Many antique guns had no choke so some trial and error , not to forget to mention consistent loading techniques with either complete shells or muzzleloading is a must .
Andy
wonder what them SxS short coach guns pattern normally?

just like rifles...each shotgun may prefer a certain loading...And just 'cause one load works well with a shotgun and a given choke...it doesn't mean that it will work well with a different shotgun , even with the same choke...
It pays in the hunting field to practice with your hunting load and to know where and how it shoots at a given range.
Andy

^ Agreed.

wonder what them SxS short coach guns pattern normally?

(hehe) I SBSed one of those some time ago. The barrel is about 11".

StoSxS.jpg

Well, it is indeed harder to find a choke and magnum buckshot load combination that will pattern tightly from a short barrel (18 -22 inch) than it is with a 26 inch or longer barrel. High muzzle pressure with the shorter barrels is considered to be the likely culprit.

Well, it is indeed harder to find a choke and magnum buckshot load combination that will pattern tightly from a short barrel (18 -22 inch) than it is with a 26 inch or longer barrel. High muzzle pressure with the shorter barrels is considered to be the likely culprit.
Lack of choke might be a contributor also. lol

culprit? CULPRIT????
.....maybe I've missed something....thought the very idea of SBS was to NOT have 'tight pattern'???

One of the many myths in shotgunning! :confused:

Barrel length, in the choke tube era, is a matter of balance, handling characteristics and personal preference. For instance, in the Remington 870 line 21" "Turkey" guns are quite popular. And it is indeed possible to find a tight patterning load/choke combination with heavy loads in shorter barrels. However, it usually take a somewhat tighter choke than a longer barrel in order to overcome the rather high residual muzzle pressure of the slower burning powders found in "magnum" loads.

Last Edited:
RMc said:
Lack of choke might be a contributor also. lol

:oops: Overlooked word alert! :D

Indeed some defense oriented shotguns come with a short cylinder bore barrel - but not all. I have done comparative pattern work with 18.5", 21" and 26" factory barrels that came set up for choke tubes.

Your pattern board will not lie to you!

Last Edited:
RMc said:

:oops: Overlooked word alert! :D

Indeed some defense oriented shotguns come with a short cylinder bore barrel - but not all. I have done comparative pattern work with 18.5", 21" and 26" factory barrels that came set up for choke tubes.

Your pattern board will not lie to you!
Yea, I had the pleasure of once going through a long course decades ago with someone's modified police type 870 that had some sort of jug shaped in profile choke machined within the/a barrel itself. It patterned all 00 buck (regular 9 count non-buffered) well within the B-27 scoring rings at 50 yards.. and put all slugs in the 10/x.

One of my favorite things working behind a gun counter, was explaining smooth bore accuracy.

"So I should expect 1" groups right?"

After a while I just gave up.

If your favorite smoothbore
Sheesh, no wonder I can't hit anything.
I always had the foolish notion that the intent of a shotgun was
Accuracy by Volume:oops:.

:D
Actually it is better if you pattern test your Gun/Choke/Load combination to establish the minimum pattern density/maximum range performance of your shotgun.

To which most shotguners respond: o_O You're taking this way too seriously!!!!!!

Just from a hunter's perspective:

Frankly, if a gun/choke/buckshot* load will not pattern into 10 inches or less at 25 yards, that combinaltion is not worth further testing at longer range.

*This only applies to traditional small buckshot pellet sizes like 000B, 00B, etc.
Larger buckshot pellet sizes are held to a tighter pattern standard. :D

Last Edited:
I agree, after 45 years of shotgun reloading I should start over. I must have missed a step along the way, and gone totally errant. I only have 3 shotguns and nine choke tubes, like to try some duck jerky?:cool:.
Seriously?:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads