JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Daley: Send gun industry lawsuit to World Court
Comments

April 27, 2010

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
Six years after the state Supreme Court dismissed his $433 million lawsuit against the gun industry, Mayor Daley today called for a change of venue — to the World Court normally reserved for disputes between nations and crimes against humanity.

Wrapping up the sixth annual Richard J. Daley Global Cities Forum, Daley convinced more than a dozen of his counterparts from around the world to approve a resolution urging "redress against the gun industry through the courts of the world" in The Hague.

"This is coming from international mayors. They're saying, 'We’re tired of your guns, America. ... We don't want those anymore because guns kill and injure people,' " Daley told a news conference at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

"If we ship over poison to a country, don’t you think we should be responsible for it? That’s what they’re saying: 'Be responsible for what you manufacture and sell in my country.' ... You have to think outside the box. You have to be [aggressive] about how you protect your people."

Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard Casauban noted that the Mexican government is waging a brutal war against drug cartels that get “85 percent” of their weapons from the United States.

"The U.S. government says, 'We cannot do a lot of things to stop this,'" Casauban said. "We should take actions with legal effects in order to stop this trade between the United States and Mexico."

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter acknowledged that using the World Court is a long-shot. But, he said “you never know until you try” and it’s worth a try to counter the political muscle and money of the National Rifle Association.

"We have to do different things. The political establishment in many state capitals — and certainly in Washington — [is] so deathly afraid of the NRA that people cannot make the right decision for their own constituents," Nutter said.

He added, "People are being killed every day in the United States of America with illegal weapons. I love the 2nd Ammendment. [But], I have a 1st Ammendment right not to be shot."

Gun violence also dominated a panel discussion earlier in the day at the Global Cities Forum.

It happened when Daley argued that Chicagoans have to "open our hearts and our pocketbooks" to save another generation from being lost.

"We don't say, 'Come to us.' Government has to go to them. They’re isolated. Maybe they have a substance abuse problem. The grandmother is 70 years old and raising grandchildren. ... We have to intervene in a different way we never have before. We have to have more homes for children, such as Boys and Girls Town to help them at earlier ages,” the mayor said.

"This idea of losing a 14-year-old to gangs and drugs in America is unacceptable. It is not a criteria we should ever live with."

Daley’s 1998 lawsuit accused the gun industry of creating a public nuisance by using irresponsible suburban gun shops to flood the city with guns that traffickers supplied to criminals.

The city and the county sought reimbursement for policing, emergency services and prosecutions tied to gun violence using nuisance laws normally reserved for polluters. In 2004, the state Supreme Court refused to create, what it called "an entirely new species of public nuisance liability."

He added, "People are being killed every day in the United States of America with illegal weapons. I love the 2nd Ammendment. [But], I have a 1st Ammendment right not to be shot."
The first amendment rights protects your physical safety? Does it act like Wonder Woman's bullet deflecting bracelets? Sweeeeeet. :s0077:

This sickens me. I guess we have to expect more of this kind of anti-gun rights posturing, especially with the Democratic administration in place.

While I would wish no harm on Mayor Daley, it would be immensely funny to me if the man were mortally wounded by a butter knife or drunk driver.

Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard Casauban noted that the Mexican government is waging a brutal war against drug cartels that get “85 percent” of their weapons from the United States.

Even the gov'ts own figures show its only about 7% that come from the US and some of those were SOLD to the Mexican "gov't" to arm their troops. So the troops sell them or "lose" them and the US is somehow responsible?

While I would wish no harm on Mayor Daley, it would be immensely funny to me if the man were mortally wounded by a butter knife or drunk driver.

ia a case where a felon crashed into a young woman's car, she is in a coma and she and her unborn baby may not survive. The felon had been ordered into drug rehab, was told not to drive, had no license or insurance, had missed all his appts with the case worker since Jan, had reported a false address and had a 35 yr long rap sheet.

Yet NO ONE is clammoring for restricting car ownership, even those dreadful sales on the Internet or through an unlicensed dealer on the street corner.

Sure seems like Mayor Daley should jump all over this one and maybe the Brady bunch too. Eliminating bad drivers and their cars would save far more lives. Also they should remember that owning/driving a car is NOT a Constitutionaly protected or God given right!

They ought to recoup their expenses for emergency services from the perps that commit the crimes, and depending on the age and situation of the perp... go after his parents' resources for restitution... I bet THAT would pull up a lot of parents to keep their kids on a leash.

Gun control efforts are off the radar in terms of real threats. Politicians say things they need to say, almost all of which is irrelevant.

This is another case of a barking dog without any teeth. I'm not going to get tightee in my whitees about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top