JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If camping, the biggest problem mammal could be a bear. I used to hunt bear way back and can report that a Colt Peace Maker 45 will do the job at close range. But if the potential adversary is anyting like a bear, I would want 357/41/44 mag. Saw one bear shot with a 30-06 ahead of the hounds. He ran another 100 yards or so before he dropped. When we gutted him out, it was a blown apart heart we found. He ran 100 yards with NO BLOOD PRESSURE. The ancient worship of bears for their strength is based upon fact. Smaller calibers will indeed just make them mad.

Black bear maybe. But I would never want to go toe to toe with a big brown or heaven forbid, a grizzly with a .45 Colt (or anything, for that matter)

My only revolver Heritage Rough Rider, just picked it up and have yet to fire the mags with it. I need to get out this weekend, hopefully my MTM target stand shows up so I can.

th_IMG_0614.jpg

If you can only have one, buy the best made handgun out there, a Freedom Arms Revolver. As far as caliber goes, I'm partial to bigger is better calibers like the 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, or 500 Wyoming Express (Model 83). If you want a smaller pistol & more man portable revolver, the Model 97 in 45 Colt or .357 magnum would be pretty handy.

We all know this is a silly question; you can never live with just one handgun.:s0155:

I prefer my Taurus Tracker $' 357. Very comfortable fit, trouble free and not as sensitive to residue buildup as the 686 I shot for years. I shoot a lot of different ammo, reloads etc. and I don't want the cylinder to stop turning from getting reside under the shell ejecter. The taurus has never done that and it is equal in all other ways.

Agreed 100% on the tracker. Taurus took the smith and made it better. and it holds 7 in .357 I just wish somebody would make wood grips for it. The rib stock ones I hate and the Packs are no better.

But I keep a handy 4" trooper accessible also

But it's funny nobody mentioned a judge. "if only one revolver" seems that the judge would be it.

Yeah colts are nice.... but I had a cadillac once.. broke down too often & expensive to get parts for! I switched back to my cowboy cadillac and am much happier. In revolvers I'll stick with the Ruger "Cow boy cadillac". Ride it hard, put it down dirty, and count on it every time.... Now if I wanted a "safe Queen" I might have to be more "Open minded".

J.K. Tat2clan, the only Colt Python I found when looking was an 20yr. unfired "safe queen" that was surely beautiful but a bit pricier than a used ruger... congrats on your colt!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top