JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't understand where the idea that revolvers (double-action especially) don't ever break comes from. They may be more predictable/reliable in the short term, but longterm (and this is just my personal account) they seem to wear out alot quicker than semi's - and love revolvers. So my pick for an all-around is the Glock 22. No timing, cylinder-gap, weakening hammerspring, impact shift or light-strike issues to worry about.

As for my daughter, she is only concerned about the operation of the revolver vs. the semi-auto. Long term wear and dependability is something different. There must be facts and figures somewhere that would point out which is better for long term. There are old Colt and Remington revolvers (single action) out there from the 1800's that still operate. Most without major repair I would guess. Semi-autos haven't been around that long. I suppose it depends on care and rounds fired in either case. Then you have a wild separation from cheap to expensive handguns. Made from the finest parts to the cheapest. My opinion is the two finest made revolvers and semi-autos would both last a very long time.

Very good points as I was considering the "desert island" scenario in which the one gun would have to last a life time. I guess it all comes down to Coke vs Pepsi when considering the amazing variety and general good quality of newer, name-brand guns available on the market. I wonder if my deserted island has a warranty center?!

Walther PPQ.

Fully capable 'duty' weapon. Solid capacity. Fantastic ergonomics. Amazing trigger. Carry-capable in the PNW. Great fun at the range.

I would take it with me, regardless of what I was walking into.

I don't understand where the idea that revolvers (double-action especially) don't ever break comes from. They may be more predictable/reliable in the short term, but longterm (and this is just my personal account) they seem to wear out alot quicker than semi's - and love revolvers. So my pick for an all-around is the Glock 22. No timing, cylinder-gap, weakening hammerspring, impact shift or light-strike issues to worry about.

I shot a model 14 S&W for years in competition and for fun, lost count of how many thousands of rounds went through it, the very few problems I had with it were easily and cheaply fixed, an oversized hand from numrich corrected timing. A few replacement springs fixed a light strike problem caused by an overzealous trigger job.

I could still hit a 9" pie tin at 100 yards, right before it got stolen. I know it doesn't sound like much but with my eyes and iron sights, it was pretty darn good.

SigSP2022006.jpg

If I was stranded in a remote area for the rest of my life, i doubt I would be doing that much recreational shooting. Because of that, I wouldn't be to worried about my gun wearing out or breaking. It could happen, of course, but that could happen at anytime with any gun. If I could only have one gun, and would have to survive with it, like being able to hunt with it and defend my self with it, I would take my 10mm G20 and a 1000 rounds of my 180 gr XTP's @ 1250 fps.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top