JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course everyone likes their own so I have to go with my CZ 75 SP-01 in 9mm...I have never handled a more overbuilt, durable auto loader in my life.....and it's a hell of a shooter to boot.

Most of us will never have to ever shoot at another human. Hopefully never,but it has to be one of the functions of your ONE HANDGUN. I live in the woods and have to shoot at things pretty regular. I've had to shoot 2 black bear over the years that were hungry and aggressive toward us and our livestock. I've shot countless coyotes and racoons. It is illegal to shoot porcupines,but they are hell on dogs and timber,and I'm told they're hard to kill. It often takes 4 or 5 shots to the body with a large caliber handgun,or so I'm told.

So I need a handgun that can kill any animal in the Pacific N.W. and still work on meth crickets and such. Being it has to last the rest of my life, it has to be a revolver. I'd go with a Ruger Redhawk for the indestructible nature of them,and because they're DA/SA and can be loaded quickly with a speed loader if need be. I'd go with a 4" barrel so I could still hide it if need be, but it would still be long enough to hit something at 100'. Last and most important, I'd go with the 44 magnum. It's a common cartridge that will kill just about anything. It's a little big for some things,and just enough for others.Better to have to much gun than not enough in my opinion.

By the way. My concealed carry is a Glock 29. I didn't go with that because semi auto's ,even Glock's ,can and do fail.We're talking about one handgun for ever. Also even though the 10mm is a stout cartridge, it pales to the killing power of a 44 magnum. When I open carry on my property and in the woods I carry a 44 Magnum handgun, and usually a rifle is close by or on my back, which trumps the pistols in ever aspect except conceal ability and ease of carry.

44 mag Ruger would be hard to beat but here is the S & W I mentioned..the bottom one.. can shoot 45LC/454 Casull/460 S & W and I bet it won't be long till moon clips for 45 ACP are available, would be like shooting 22 LR

mag11.jpg

mag11.jpg

Only one handgun? My glock 17 hands down. Ive personally seen that thing put through hell on hunting trips, comeing out none the worser. Its not the best round for knock down but with standerd 17 round mags and hi cap 33 rounders im not to worried about it. Thats alot of lead down range real quick like.....

I too will say that if I could have one "handgun" it would be one of my 1911 .45 acp's. If I had to have only one rifle and one shotgun, the rifle would be my DPMS .308 AR and the shotgun would be my Ithaca M37 8 shot.

I was in your neck of the woods last year on vacation badclam. We stayed at a resort spot at Ocean Park . Drove around the whole place. Really liked Oysterville and the mounds of shells near the docks in Nahcotta. Great General store on the 103 and went down Cranberry Rd. too.
Made it to the cranberry festival in Ilwaco, bought lots of stuff. Lighthouse too!

I live in the woods and have to shoot at things pretty regular. I've had to shoot 2 black bear over the years that were hungry and aggressive toward us and our livestock.

First encounter I ever had with a black bear was in your neck in of the woods in Tokeland. I was taking a wizz on a logging road, middle of summer when everthing is leafy and green in the woods and you can't see more than 40ft because of the brush. Well I look up with my fly down and theres a bear cub about 10 feet from me. I got out of there about as quick as I could. It wasn't him I was worried about. It was momma bear and I had no idea where she was

I was in your neck of the woods last year on vacation badclam. We stayed at a resort spot at Ocean Park . Drove around the whole place. Really liked Oysterville and the mounds of shells near the docks in Nahcotta. Great General store on the 103 and went down Cranberry Rd. too.
Made it to the cranberry festival in Ilwaco, bought lots of stuff. Lighthouse too!

One of those mounds of shells by the dock in Nahcotta is mine. One of the docks at the port of Nahcotta is mine also. The light brown building on the corner,with the Jolly Roger flag, where you turn into the Port of Nahcotta is where we process. If you ever make it back down let me know. I'll give you the nickle tour of the place.

First encounter I ever had with a black bear was in your neck in of the woods in Tokeland. I was taking a wizz on a logging road, middle of summer when everthing is leafy and green in the woods and you can't see more than 40ft because of the brush. Well I look up with my fly down and theres a bear cub about 10 feet from me. I got out of there about as quick as I could. It wasn't him I was worried about. It was momma bear and I had no idea where she was

We have the highest population of black bears per square mile in the state here. It's a real concern. If you spend much time outdoors here, you will have bear encounter's. Unfortunately some of the bears become "humanized" and come around tearing down bird feeder's,eating pet food,getting into garbage.When they lose there fear of humans they are very dangerous. I know of 2 dogs that have been eaten that were chained out. They couldn't get away. I use roman candles to chase them away. When that doesn't work anymore you have to kill them.
To avoid that we put Cheyenne pepper in the bird food and in the garbage. The birds don't mind the pepper at all but the bears stay away from it. The other thing is we don't leave any kind of feed where they can get at it.
Most people that work in the brush or woods around here,carry large caliber handgun's. Land surveyor's,forester's and such. The loggers make so much noise ,they don't have a problem with them other than the bear's will get into the grease tubes for some reason at night.

If I had to go to my safe and pick 1 handgun that I own to be stranded with till I die. The choice is easy and I quite a few handguns to choose from. My pre-lock S&W .357 stainless performance center 8 times with 5" barrel. 8 shot's of 357 is alot of firepower, and is very versitial. No mags to lose, break, or wear out. With a semi auto I wouldn't be as worried about the gun wearing out or breaking. I would be worried about the mags your stranded you could not just go down to your local gun store and buy more. Someone mentioned the military use semi autos. The military also know's the gun won't last you the rest of your life, when it breaks they just issue you a new one. Don't get me wrong I love semi autos my carry gun is a commander sized 1911. For the rest of my stranded life 40-50 years of hard use with no support I'm betting on my best revolver. Jusy my .02 pennies.

Glock 27. It'll take any size Glock magazine, and with conversion barrel will take 9mm. Two of the most common calibers + accepting any size magazine = maximum versatility.

Greg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top