JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only one gun for survival is a question I have pondered a lot and it has changed several times over the years.

Well, the title says survive but it does not say survive what. Survive a zombie apocalypse, hurricane, snow storm or your all alone in the wilderness as it will make a difference in my mind as what I choose but if we say combine them all, then I will play.

First, I am not a shotgun guy and never have been the rounds are heavy, I mean try carrying a 100-round bandolier for any amount of time. Average box of 2 ¾ inch 12 ga 1 1/8 oz birdshot is around 2.5lbs a box so 100 rounds is 12.5lbs without the gun or any other gear. The gun for survival in my mind can not be too long so say some where between 18 to a 24 in barrel max and threaded for chokes to help with the range. If your stranded on a small island by your self then it would be good but if in a zombie attack not so good as reloads are slow and capacity is week.

Most hand guns are limited by range and accuracy but the mag capacity is better and ammo is lighter as a Glock 17rd mag loaded with 115gr hard ball weights 10 oz so for the weight of the shotgun shells you get 340 rounds or 20 mags worth, just a few more rounds. Good in an urban setting but game might be a little harder to get.

Now for my choice: it is an AR15 with a 14.5 or a 16 in barrel 1x8 etched scope and suppressed with a K can. 30 round P mags weigh in at 1lb 2oz or 11 mags worth or 330 rounds of ammo for the same weigh as the 12 gauge. The rifle will be a bit heavier than the other 2 but I can hunt with it, defend off Zombies and I feel it is a better general-purpose gun all around.

I say this now but my mind has changed before on this topic.

There is no perfect gun to meet every need because if there was, you would walk into every gun store and there would be one glass case with one gun in it and every one would own one.

Last Edited:
Now for my choice: it is an AR15 with a 14.5 or a 16 in barrel 1x8 etched scope and suppressed with a K can. 30 round P mags weigh in at 1lb 2oz or 11 mags worth or 330 rounds of ammo for the same weigh as the 12 gauge. The rifle will be a bit heavier than the other 2 but I can hunt with it, defend off Zombies and I feel it is a better general-purpose gun all around.
+1, with a minor add. If it were possible I'd have a few uppers to switch between in various barrel lengths and calibers to customize the weapon to the mission at hand. The modularity of an AR is what makes it so useful. It would be a shame to not take advantage of the capability when we would need it most.

One gun for everything needed to survive everything?
Initially I'd say a 12 gauge pump. Mine holds 7 in the tube with a 20" barrel. With birdshot, slugs and buckshot I'd be covered.
I guess. Not a bad choice. Ammo is heavy, but with the right kind of shells, I could protect myself or put food in my belly. Birds or larger animals, too, but limited range.
If it was more of an urban survival thing, then my thoughts would change to an AR pistol with a brace.

Question leaves a lot of open ended questions, now if you have a 12gauge that opens you up to a very wide range of loads and custom loads. Combine that with a bunch of short lane adapters, you have a weapon capable of also fireing .22, .380, .9mm, .357, .45, etc.
As others have said What kind of survival?

To take a line from Outkasts "Ms. Jackson": Forever? Forever ever?

Probably an AR in 5.56 Its just so modular and common Id have to go with that.
SHTF, Bans..etc its just a solid system.
I started out as an AK guy, AKs are great.. but the AR is truly a solid rifle. There is a reason its Americas most popular rifle.

The swap-ability of uppers to change calibers is outstanding, the .22 adapter system are pretty cool too.

All on all, if I was limited to one (forever) but had access accessories, uppers, barrels, mags (even limited capacity).. the AR is the way to go. YMMV

Tough question, since I would never have just one, and even that would depend on the senerio (rural, urban, mountains, plains, etc)... If I had to only pick one I would probably grab my CZ 452 - 22LR (short barrel AR would be a close second)

With the .22, ammo isn't really the issue, it's stopping power, the little .22 just ain't got any of it! It might be fine for hunting quietly at point blank range, but for any thing else, you really want more and it just ain't there!
Dunno. It's been said many times and I believe it: There have been more deer killed in this country with a 22LR than with any other single caliber.

Of course you have to count the night shift. :)

Cheers

PS I want my Remington Nylon 66.

Survival in what kind of situation? Plane crash in the wilderness? Peaceful protests? Everyday living? Without knowing any context at all, I'd go with my G20 or G21 because they're good enough to fight with if needed, small enough to carry as needed.

There have been more deer killed in this country with a 22LR than with any other single caliber.

Of course you have to count the night shift. :)
If it was only about survival in the wilderness, no matter the firearm, the night shift would be included.

One of the beautiful things about a 22LR is the amount of ammo one can carry. I have an old Marlin 22. It holds over 15 rounds in that tube and is very accurate. Not much power at 100 yards, but I can make reliable hits at that distance. It wouldn't be a bad choice for keeping myself fed. Especially if I included some birdshot in my ammo stash.

Context is everything.

If I didn't have to worry about hostile humans, I would have a drilling with a .223 barrel, a .30-06 barrel, and a 12 ga. barrel - each 18" long (14-16" if I didn't have to worry about laws), and 1-6x EER pistol scope mounted forward. I would have a number of .22 rimfire (short/long/LR & WMR) adapters for the .223 barrel. It would be heavy with those three barrels, but it would be versatile. I would also have some 20 ga adapters.

Alternatively, I might want just a 12 ga/.30-06 O/U combo, and some rifled adapters for .223/.22 rimfire - but the total weight might be about the same? I don't have any experience with the rifled adapters to know if they would have a consistent POI, whereas a drilling would. A Valmet O/U combo can be had with swappable barrels.

I have a Savage 20 ga with a .223 barrel, and an M6 with .410/.22. The savage is close enough I suppose; with the right ammo it would be effective for game.

If I did have to worry about humans (or something as dangerous) then I would want something like a Tavor in 5.56x45. Ammo is lightweight but effective on most anything I would want to use it on, whether human or small to medium game.

The key is having a variety of ammo types; you can load 5.56x45 down to rimfire power levels and use any semi as a single shot. You can load ammo up to power levels where taking deer is not a problem. An AR with an extra upper or conversion for rimfire might be a consideration, but swapping uppers while game or threat holds still and lets you do the swap is unlikely.
---
That said, these "if you can only have one gun" scenarios are not realistic; you can either have more than one gun or no guns at all in most realistic scenarios. Even if you could only have one due to laws - to start with - once in a survival situation what is going to prevent you from getting more when ROL is gone?

The realistic consideration is what guns (plural) would you choose to have on your person if you had to carry them on foot, without resupply?

This becomes a weight & bulk & convenience consideration at that point. For me (if I was in good health, which I am not) it would be a bullpup in 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 or 7.62x51, and a SIG 226 with 9mm & .40 & .22LR slide/barrel, and a very lightweight .22 rimfire rifle (as in less than 2 pounds - which is doable).

Since I am not in good health, the choice would be a P90/PS90, Five Seven, and a lightweight compact accurate .22 rimfire rifle.

I'll take your bait. I'll see your Phased Plasma rifle and raise you a Zorg ZF-1 Pod Weapon System. But, assuming the apocalypse happens in this reality, I'll stick with my boring old CZ 22LR rifle.

1637292019024.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads