JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Vepr 12. Same reason as Grilling425 notes, but if hoards attack, the rapid fire of a semi-auto and a 25 round magazine would be very nice as well.

I'll take my .54 Hawken Rifle.
It does everything I need a rifle to do...as well as having kept me fed in the past and wining many a rifle match.
I shoot this rifle the best out of all the firearms I own...its easy to carry and maintain as well.
Andy

on second thought

51549deb2c10e.jpeg

A couple of thoughts.

First, for a general wilderness or remote survival situation I'd select a bolt action rifle with stripper clip capability. My M1903A1 with rear aperture sight would work nicely.

Second, for a social breakdown scenario a handgun is the first priority; a rifle would be more effective for defense, but isn't always reasonable to have on person. A pistol is simply far easier to have accessible at all times. A 4" S&W model 19 or something similar would be a great choice.

A couple of thoughts.

First, for a general wilderness or remote survival situation I'd select a bolt action rifle with stripper clip capability. My M1903A1 with rear aperture sight would work nicely.

Second, for a social breakdown scenario a handgun is the first priority; a rifle would be more effective for defense, but isn't always reasonable to have on person. A pistol is simply far easier to have accessible at all times. A 4" S&W model 19 or something similar would be a great choice.
I agree 100% here, just different tools to the same end!
For me, it used to be any of the Mauser 98 based rifles, stripper clip feed capable in the gold standard caliber of .30 U.S. 1906, but recent changes in my arsenal have me re thinking that choice to an even OLDER design, that of the Greatest Lever Action ever designed by THE Man himself, J.M. Browning and his Model 1895, this one a Take Down, also in .30 U.S. 1906 Suppressed with Lyman #21 rear sight and Redfield Post and Globe front, converted to feed from stripper clips (Not as east as it sounds) and it gets it done quite nicely.
The Pistol is also of J.M Browning's greatest designs, and improved by the fine folks at Para Ordinance, a double stack 1911 chambered in the formidable 10 MM Auto stoked with 200 grain lead solids, that's 16+1 freedom seeds on tap for any threat that comes along up to and including Ford F-350's and the occasional odd ball charging Peterbilt!

I hate shotguns for survival type stuff, almost as much as I hate the .22 LR, nether is very versatile, and while they might work in a pinch, they lack any real utility, and especially with the shotgun, your limited on how much ammo you can carry, and with the smallest, lightest, and most compact design that is still useful, it's still as big as a half way decent carbine! with the .22, ammo isn't really the issue, it's stopping power, the little .22 just ain't got any of it! It might be fine for hunting quietly at point blank range, but for any thing else, you really want more and it just ain't there!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top