JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty applies to having a pistol, rifle...etc. But if there's no ammunition available? I reckon I could swing/use my rifle/pistol like a club with one arm, providing I could get close enough & didn't get killed by an arrow. :rolleyes: Sorry..I couldn't resist.. :D

Dan
:D if you lose the use of one hand then you can use the bow as a stick I guess. With I rifle at least you might use a bayonet. :s0109:

.22 LR rifle (for which I have 25,000 rounds). Where I am, feeding myself is the survival issue.

That said, I'm a shelter in place guy, and I have a bunch more that could be - shall we say - useful.

:D if you lose the use of one hand then you can use the bow as a stick I guess. With I rifle at least you might use a bayonet. :s0109:
Or you could maybe modify it into an atlatl?

The thread is about guns, which are hard to make from scratch. A bow and arrows can be made from scratch many places on earth. So if you run out of ammo or the gun breaks and cannot be repaired, a bow and arrows can be made.

Or you could maybe modify it into an atlatl?

The thread is about guns, which are hard to make from scratch. A bow and arrows can be made from scratch many places on earth. So if you run out of ammo or the gun breaks and cannot be repaired, a bow and arrows can be made.
Posted in the survival section the question was which gun. A person said they would chose a bow in place of a gun. Thinking just about survival a bow in a gunfight doesn't work well as the American Indians learned.

Thread being about guns and survival yet folks want to take it to the stone age of sticks and stones. I was pointing out that any weapon that takes two hands to operate puts you at a disadvantaged in my opinion.

I own a original Northwest Tradegun...and a few Original Trade Rifles.
And after reading period accounts as well as ledger books concerning trade items of the fur trade...
Yep....firearms were an extremely popular trade item.

With that said...
Even late into the American Indian Wars....
Bows and arrows were used ,effectively ....way more than what some folks think.

Now this is not to say that :
Indians did not use firearms...they did , in large amounts ( at times) and if they could get them.
Or that a a bow is better than a gun....

Just saying that archery is a skill not to be taken lightly if used against you.
Andy

I tend to use past survival shootout to make my point. The great Miami shootout is worth the study as to why you need a firearm you can run with one hand. Sorry there was no Bows and arrows used.:confused:

Last Edited:
I tend to use past survival shootout to make my point. The great Miami shootout is worth the study as to why you need a firearmmyou can run with one hand. Sorry there was no Bows and arrows used.:confused:

Sounds like you're saying that if you knew you were going to be in a gunfight, you'd bring a pistol. ( I kid) You cite the Miami shootout. There were seriously hard men on both sides of that fight. Bad guy Platt killed 2 agents and wounded others while firing a Mini-14 with one hand only to be taken out by FBI agent Mireles, who while seriously wounded, operated a pump shotgun to wound Platt before ultimately finishing both Matix and Platt off with his.357.
Definitely could not be done with a bow and arrow.

What would the Duke boys do? Dukes.jpg

AR in 223/5.56. Versatility is the factor. from defense to harvesting game, it would be my choice. ammo is small enough is carry in quantity. The ammo is common and could be replaced if defensive action is required, as there is a good chance that the offenders may very well use the same ammo. 223 is capable (barely) of taking large game with proper bullet placement and within reasonable range for this cartridge. Accurate placement could also take upland birds on the ground, as well as rabbits, etc. AR's are easy to maintain and firing pin replacement is easy.

AR in 223/5.56. Versatility is the factor. from defense to harvesting game, it would be my choice. ammo is small enough is carry in quantity. The ammo is common and could be replaced if defensive action is required, as there is a good chance that the offenders may very well use the same ammo. 223 is capable (barely) of taking large game with proper bullet placement and within reasonable range for this cartridge. Accurate placement could also take upland birds on the ground, as well as rabbits, etc. AR's are easy to maintain and firing pin replacement is easy.
That's sounds cool.

Woods survival
I think one would need minute of squirrel or rabbit accuracy at 50 yards so I would go with my Ruger 10/22. ammo is light weight so that is a plus. Poor combat weapon though but good accuracy out to 100 yds and lots of ammo would help with that.

Urban survival/combat, plus killing food, I'd go with the AR.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top