JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read all the previous posts, every one of them. Interesting reading. I've already been a refugee. We moved to Wash. in 1987 from California. I was glad to make the move, difficult as it was with a family of five. But now, Wash. is no longer as it was in 1987. It's a shame. I won't go over all the changes, I'd just be preaching to the choir.

First let me say, I'm not allowed to move. Our adult children and families are all here in Wash. If you are married, you know what I mean by "not allowed." Secondly, in a few days I will turn 69 years of age. I'm thinking probably too late for me to make a major move; it's a pretty big deal when you've been in the same house for 32 years. I've been retired for over 11 years and I'm pretty well dug in.

Having said the foregoing, I will allow that a number of relocation venues hold my interest even still. List:

Wyoming. Pretty freedom-loving, lots of open space, lower prices. Downside, they get some tough winters. But: Retired people can sit home in a snow storm and watch re-runs of "Gunsmoke" and don't have to hack through weather to make it to work.

Montana. I used to like it more, western Montana, mostly. But Missoula is seeing an influx of California refugees. You know those horrible former Californians (like me) but rest assured if they are leaving their native state and seeking something better, they can't be all bad. Prices are still a lot lower than Wash.

Idaho. I've spent time in north Idaho and liked it. Also spent time in southeast Idaho, didn't like it so much. But there are many livable places there.

Nevada. At one time, I thought a move to the Reno area (Washoe Valley) would be interesting. But it's become such a big place lately. Hot in summer, have some bad winters. Carson Valley is another Mecca for refugee Californians.

Missouri. I like the state, was stationed there in the US Army decades ago. I like the hilly southern part, which tends to have a slightly milder winter than in the north (flatlands). Gets pretty hot and muggy in high summer. I could never con my wife into moving there (tried it in 1981, didn't work). For her, too buggy and when I took her back there, I didn't mention the ticks. Definitiely lower real estate prices. If you move there as a refugee, you will always be an outsider even if you live there another 30 years.

Iowa. Both of my own parents were natives of Iowa. They were refugees when they moved to California in 1941. Even today, I look at real estate offerings in rural Iowa. Some real bargains, but you have to think about weather some. Rural Iowa (and anywhere else rural in the US now) is not necessarily a calm, bucolic backwater isolated from time and crime. The meth trails from Mexico to Los Angeles continue on through to many rural towns all over the country. Small towns in Iowa are sometimes full of tweakers. Which means people skulking around looking to score anything via theft to feed their habit.

Arizona, not too nuts about living there. Spent time in the army there too. If you must "do Arizona," think the northern part.

Anyway, I think about this subject a lot when I review my property tax bill and time my movements around the Sound to suit favorable traffic patterns.

02D04DD5-E581-452E-8C09-E3F2D6828771.jpeg

I'm curious about the quoted part. Some folks repeat that it is increasingly left leaning, next-to-fall, etc.

It has the highest or close to the highest RED voter turnout and voted against Hillary three years ago by about 2.5 - 1 margin. And for Trump 2-1. Every district voted RED. It hasn't voted for a Dem POTUS in my lifetime, and the margins are generally 2-1 against Dems. 2 blue districts in the state.

HRC won in 2 Idaho counties. One of those, Latah county which includes Moscow, was due to 3rd parties. The other one, Blaine county, includes the Sun Valley/Ketchum area, so no surprise there. Also, the President only beat HRC by 4 votes in Teton county which includes Driggs and Victor on the west side of the Tetons - probably Jackson Hole influence.

Idaho map and data:

Click on a state to find out 2016 presidential election percentages:

Need to check the makeup of the state senate, house, and governor offices as well.

I have been pouring over Google maps, street view, redfin, and just images online to find a place that even remotely looks like home. I spent almost 10 years as a kid in the willamett valley, and now close to 32 years in the south puget sound and peninsula. The wife is 100% japanese born and raised. We have to have: a beach within an hour or two's drive, trees everywhere, mountain views. Where else can we find what we have in the US? Most of what I've seen is desert and scrubland.

I have been pouring over Google maps, street view, redfin, and just images online to find a place that even remotely looks like home. I spent almost 10 years as a kid in the willamett valley, and now close to 32 years in the south puget sound and peninsula. The wife is 100% japanese born and raised. We have to have: a beach within an hour or two's drive, trees everywhere, mountain views. Where else can we find what we have in the US? Most of what I've seen is desert and scrubland.

Alaska

It's on my short list, harder to transport the firearms there but it has the benefit of being sparsely populated enough that you can find a spot to be away from soy drinking zombies.

My wife and I recently went home to Hawaii to visit with family and friends, and I'll tell you what, it gets harder every time to come back to Oregon. Warm weather, tropical breezes, and BEACHES where you can actually swim without getting hypothermia. The aloha spirit still lives there.

Why is it such a beautiful place is teeming with so many, in fact the majority (I think) are 'opposite of right' - anti-gun, pro food stamps, gimme free stuff army.

I'm thinking Mexico. Being retired I can transport illegal aliens for extra cash. Should be able to get a machine gun from someone. Maybe one of Eric Holders fast & furious ones. No license required. Cost of living is cheap. Rent a house on the beach somewhere maybe. Away from tourists though. Hire a maid to help the wife if I'm still married or not.. 2nd thoughts..

Dan

Patagonia is under consideration.

My home and yard (friends call it an estate) is becoming almost (not quite yet) to big a place for me alone to maintain. Yes, I could hire what needs doing, but I don't like strangers coming my place, though I tolerate it.

What to do?

Sell, move to Patagonia and hire a whole slew of servants and be more welcoming of strangers.

Hhmmm, maaaaaaaaybe, uh-huh.

I've considered some of the big red states like Texas, Florida, Arizona... If the big red states fall then all of this is somewhat moot. OTOH, two points.

First, we have no idea what the future holds. Maybe those fleeing will stop fleeing if noplace is perceived an "escape." Or maybe folks wake up and stop voting for the nonsense. Our predicament seems dire TODAY but politics is ebbs and flows with no predictable pattern. For strange and unknown reasons, political beliefs and fads come and go.

We really just need to hold onto the Constitution and beliefs that preserve our freedoms long enough for SANITY to return.

Secondly, if the place catches fire you have to ask yourself, and position yourself as best as possible, to weather it.

For instance, do you want to be in a deep blue state behind enemy lines or in a red or reddish state surrounded by like-minded folks?

Let's use an example. Say I choose Prescott Arizona. Sometime down the road, picking one or more of the catastrophies that make Arizona vulnerable, let's say conflict breaks out. Hoards of invaders from Mexico up thru Tucson. They implement a complex attack including the water supply to Arizona, blowing up dams or seizing tactical areas. AZ residents are in real trouble. I think it's dangerous to pick a location that both relies on such delicate delivery of resources and is so close to uncontrolled potential hostile enemy border.

Idaho and Utah don't really have any of those same vulnerabilities in my research.

In the MEANTIME, years will pass, decades will pass, events will occur, etc. You have to position yourself in a location where you will be happy and flourish economically and healthy (the two KNOWN SHTF events that hit everyone). It might be that none of this "liberal takeover" happens. And the next generation sees the lunacy of the current left and rejects it. Ther IS a current resurgence of traditional values for instance. But you cannot escape financial and health. So that's what I'm trying to do by relocating to a location where I can flourish and be happy and healthy, while posturing myself to a area that I can best attempt to predict will also remain Red for decade(s) to come.

Welcome to Idaho, an enclave of California, Washington, Oregon and others! It used to be a gun friendly state but is more purple and soon to be full on Blue. During the last few years there has been a notifiable up tick in anti gun sentiment. Don't let the 'open carry law' fool you. Hunting is the $***s ALL of my favorite spots have been co-pted by the newbies. We have both wolves (sighted in ADA county - Boise area) and griz (sighted by Salmon, ID) and the mountain cats in Boise love those stick dogs (yappers). Again, the lions are abundant in the Boise area since it is a good food source since the deer have become road kill. Wherever you go, it will be populated by someone who 'wanted to get away' from somewhere else. BUT they bring all of their cultural baggage with them. MY taxes went up over 30% last year and are still climbing as the political parasites quest for a faux Nirvana to attract more refugees. Have you checked the current lack of affordable housing throughout the state?

I moved OUT of SD 6 years ago. I stall have a couple of hundred acres I lease out. Ya, SD is gun friendly, but it's 110 in the summer and 50 below in the winter. The blood draining bugs are the size of birds. Tis not fit for man nor beast.
Not to mention there's nothing to do if you're not a farmer. Bird hunting has plummeted with all the all the ethanol payola to farmers, they've plowed over marsh / habitat to grow corn. Deer hunting it good in many areas, just beware of chronic wasting disease. Fishing is... well, it's the plains. Pay is worst in the nation. Bottom line is the state is hyper pro-business, meaning if you don't own a business or run a farm, you're one of the little people. The state has no usury laws. It's how they got CitiBank to move there. Credit cards can go as high as 32% interest. Farmers / ranchers hate hunters on their land, so finding good hunting is getting harder and harder. Growth of high dollar hunting groups makes it worse paying landowners up to $1000 per gun.
SD is also in the top 10 for corrupt states.
If you're only criteria is gun friendly, then i guess it's paradise.
Personally, I don't miss it.

Idaho or western Montana - been to both.

I like Orygun. I may get residence in S. Dakota when I retire

I have lived in Ohio, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, California, and Oregon.
I can not make another move, as my wife has only asked for one thing since marriage.
We decided on Oregon, and it was one of the "green" states where we could see trees, mountains, ocean, so you get the point.
If I was 20 years younger, which I was when we moved here, I would have looked more inland and given the political
climate a closer inspection.
Given all of that, I can say that northern states from Idaho east, would have been looked at closer.
I am about 80 miles below Portland, so the "Kalifs" don't bother me much, but real estate values are going well north
of what I paid for my place.
If family had not followed us here, it would have been easier to re-locate, but at 75 plus, it "ain't " gonna happen.
Tom in Lebanon, Oregon.

Welcome to Idaho, an enclave of California, Washington, Oregon and others! It used to be a gun friendly state but is more purple and soon to be full on Blue. During the last few years there has been a notifiable up tick in anti gun sentiment. Don't let the 'open carry law' fool you. Hunting is the $***s ALL of my favorite spots have been co-pted by the newbies. We have both wolves (sighted in ADA county - Boise area) and griz (sighted by Salmon, ID) and the mountain cats in Boise love those stick dogs (yappers). Again, the lions are abundant in the Boise area since it is a good food source since the deer have become road kill. Wherever you go, it will be populated by someone who 'wanted to get away' from somewhere else. BUT they bring all of their cultural baggage with them. MY taxes went up over 30% last year and are still climbing as the political parasites quest for a faux Nirvana to attract more refugees. Have you checked the current lack of affordable housing throughout the state?

Interesting perspective. I see about the opposite as an outsider looking in.
More research on Idaho. Some have said it's turning more liberal. So I looked.

In 2018 alone, Idaho passed Constitutional Carry and Castle Doctrine, moving from #17 on the Guns and Ammo "best state" ranking to #2. That's a heck of a leap. It also handily shot down a anti-gun proposal in the legislature by a wide margin. And in 2016, the state voted against Clinton by 73% with a 60% turnout... I'm not seeing much immediate or short term danger of a liberal takeover...

Looking back at 30 years of POTUS elections Idaho is actually more red now than in the 1970s and 1980s... or at least the same. In my lifetime it's been about 25-30% Dem and the majority GOP.

In '72 it was 68% Nixon and 26% McGovern, almost exactly the results Trump v. Clinton (60%v27% with a 3rd party).
1980 it was 66% Reagan and 25% Carter, almost the same in Trump v. Clinton (60%v27% with a 3rd party).
1988 62% Bush and 36% Dukakus.
2000 it was 67% Bush and 27% Gore. Near identical to Trump v. Clinton.
Obama lost Idaho both times, garnering a distant 1/3rd of the votes.
And Clinton lost ground on him by 5-8% and that includes a 3rd party spoiler.

It was 50/50 in the 1960s.

This was Idaho in the 1960s:
375px-Idaho_Presidential_Election_Results_1964.svg.png

I'm not seeing ANY trend in Idaho that even suggests "more liberals" coming in. The opposite in fact in the last 1/2 century.

Last Edited:
I have been to the Couer d' Alene area many times and it is truly beautiful. Friendly people. Conservative.

Many retired LEO's move up there. But Californians are moving up there also and bringing their Liberal ideas though. I'm going up there again on vacation in a month. Looking forward to it again.

Montana is as beautiful if not more so than Idaho. But has some hidden problems which I probably am not supposed to mention. It may be politically incorrect or racist. Regarding a cultural group buying up large swaths of the state and charging fees for using their water.

So, I guess I won't mention it. :0(

AZ may have some of the best gun laws now but I dont know if they will last the next few election cycles.. seems that its going from red to purple and maybe all the way to blue here semi soon.. which may not matter if you are retiring age or close to it.

We're bugging out in a couple of months for northern Nevada, cheap land and conservatives are welcome.
While asking around about permits and such the gal at the water department had Rush on the radio. Around here you'd be fired and ran out of town for that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top