JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honorable mention goes to Oklahoma. I have a friend that moved there a few years ago and loves it. He was able to sell his boring "3br 2ba house in the Oregon 'burbs" and buy a REALLY nice spread in OK. OK is getting more conservative by the minute (with their legislature passing great new laws) and the climate isn't too bad there except for the tornadoes.

Not sure how Oklahoma could get more conservative. I lived there at Tinker AFB some years ago. It has some good points for raising a family but it's too flat and too far away from the ocean. All the pride of Texas. just a little less to brag about. If Idaho were a little more to the west it would be perfect.

Between Idaho, Utah, and Arizona, where would you move and why? Or other?

Asking for a friend...

I know it is not on the list but Michigan is where I'm going due to grand kids being there. Wife wants to move there in a few yrs when she retires and I'm not objecting.

I see MI is listed number 1 on the affordability list and I concur, it seems about 10 yrs behind central wa where I live now.

A nice 2000 sq ft house on 5 acres with a nice shop is any where from 250k to 350k. 250k less mice but not bad, over 300k much more nice. above that range is more then I'll be spending.

There were 3 shooting ranges within 8 to 18 minutes of the house I was looking at on the east side of Jackson.

While looking in the Jackson area west of Ann Arbor, found out a very interesting fact, Jackson MI was the birthplace of the republican party and is still very conservative/Republican.

Son lives in Ypsilanti and wants to move out of town so he was looking at houses in or near Jackson. We are discussing each house he finds, he sends me links.

~

I know it is not on the list but Michigan is where I'm going due to grand kids being there. Wife wants to move there in a few yrs when she retires and I'm not objecting.

I see MI is listed number 1 on the affordability list and I concur, it seems about 10 yrs behind central wa where I live now.

A nice 2000 sq ft house on 5 acres with a nice shop is any where from 250k to 350k. 250k less mice but not bad, over 300k much more nice. above that range is more then I'll be spending.

There were 3 shooting ranges within 8 to 18 minutes of the house I was looking at on the east side of Jackson.

While looking in the Jackson area west of Ann Arbor, found out a very interesting fact, Jackson MI was the birthplace of the republican party and is still very conservative/Republican.

Son lives in Ypsilanti and wants to move out of town so he was looking at houses in or near Jackson. We are discussing each house he finds, he sends me links.

~

Michigan government is poorly mismanaged. Aside from some pockets of extreme wealth (Bloomfield Hills, etc.), most of the SE 1/4 of the state is a disaster. Skip it. Ann Arbor is ultra liberal. Flint, Pontiac, & Detroit are areas to avoid at all costs. Some of the worst cities in the nation for poverty, despair, crime, and drugs. Allen Park is being literally taken over by Muslims and all the whites being pushed out.

Jackson is the prison capital of the state.
Michigan has BRUTAL winters. Gray all winter with freezing temps, sleet, and snow.
Michigan has beautiful but VERY humid summers. July-Sept are nearly unbearable. Huge and swarming mosquitos too.
Michigan has beautiful lakes and rivers generally, and of course the Great Lakes.
Gun rights are "okay" but you need state permission to buy a handgun thru a private party.
Concealed carry is your standard state issued shall issue permit.

The ONLY place in Michigan I would consider would be the Western coast from about Holland north to the bridge, and in the U.P.

There's about 25 better states to pick than most of Michigan with the exception of the GORGEOUS lakeside properties, which are probably cost prohibitive and very small plots of land.

Michigan government is poorly mismanaged. Aside from some pockets of extreme wealth (Bloomfield Hills, etc.), most of the SE 1/4 of the state is a disaster. Skip it. Ann Arbor is ultra liberal. Flint, Pontiac, & Detroit are areas to avoid at all costs. Some of the worst cities in the nation for poverty, despair, crime, and drugs. Allen Park is being literally taken over by Muslims and all the whites being pushed out.

Jackson is the prison capital of the state.
Michigan has BRUTAL winters. Gray all winter with freezing temps, sleet, and snow.
Michigan has beautiful but VERY humid summers. July-Sept are nearly unbearable. Huge and swarming mosquitos too.
Michigan has beautiful lakes and rivers generally, and of course the Great Lakes.
Gun rights are "okay" but you need state permission to buy a handgun thru a private party.
Concealed carry is your standard state issued shall issue permit.

The ONLY place in Michigan I would consider would be the Western coast from about Holland north to the bridge, and in the U.P.

There's about 25 better states to pick than most of Michigan with the exception of the GORGEOUS lakeside properties, which are probably cost prohibitive and very small plots of land.

Yes to all that but I'm screwed because my son and grand kids are there. He owns a house in Ypsilanti and I know all about Ann Arbor. Daughter-in-law's family lives there and they are staunch conservative republicans, though I realize there are few of them, I'm already in with that crowd through them.

I could go on about how the libs are f-ing up wa and the stuff in MI that is good such as beer etc but if you think MI sucks then I'm not going to change your mind.

For me, best part is I'll have my grand kids to distract me from any other stuff [politics etc] I might not like and my son to hang out and go fishing with. Hopefully that will work out well enough.

I'll just have to make the best of it.
~

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews