JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not a big fan of the city these days, though I was born there. But I do love stuff like this. Historical photographs fascinate me, as does the transition of places and people over time. It's kind of mesmerizing. I could do without the narration, but other than that, pretty cool look at the past and present intertwined.

Looking at the photos of the Vanport flood, I'm reminded of our former pastor (he's been gone for a few years) who was in the Coast Guard when the Vanport flood happened. He was among the first responders to help evacuate folks from the area. Listening to him describe the scene and what he experienced during that time was very interesting.

Glajja liked it. We find PDX a satisfyingly fascinating place, with all the little green parks, open spaces and wondrous buildings. Add to that the most incredible selection bridges imagineable - including the brand-new Max bridge [watch it being built on a webcam], and you can see why it interests me - a bridge freak - so much.

The main train station there - an iconic building among many iconic buildings - is just one that appears on my hall wall in a collection of home-taken photographs made over the many years of visits

Hey, I'm preaching to the choir here, for which I apologise. Don't mind me - I'm just looking forward to going back to OR as soon as we can.

tac

The architecture, the bridges, the green spaces, yes, they are all wonderful parts of Portland. It's the political climate and the 'weird' ones that make it a place I don't relish spending much time. But, it's where I work every day, so I find myself drawn in to it, if not somewhat against my will ;) Having visited other cities around the country, comparatively, it's still one of the better cities from my perspective.

Oh, and I not only appreciate bridges too, but I'm also a lighthouse guy. Love the architecture and history of lighthouses. I took this photo of the Cape Mears lighthouse a couple of years before some idiots shot up the red glass, bunch of ignorant morons.

img_2698a.jpg

Last Edited:
I bet you didn't know that you are talking to a proud supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund?

View attachment 254446

tac

I did not know that :D I've actually never made it to Cape Blanco...yet.

One of my photos of the Cape Mears lighthouse actually took 2nd place in one of their annual photo contests, probably about 7 years or so ago.

It is my firm belief that falling down the airplane steps with a camera in your hands would result in a prize-winning photo in Oregon. The place is just so darn photogenic. Like, how many books are there of photos of the Oregon Coast? I reckon I've got twenty or more, but you won't find this one in any of 'em - I took it.
upload_2015-9-1_15-13-30.png
Battle Rock Beach, Port Orford.

...and, further inland.......
upload_2015-9-1_15-16-4.png

Spencer's Butte, Eugene, at 7am...needless to say, I have bazillions of pics of Oregon. Groodles of the Astoria-Megler Bridge and all of the Condé McCollough bridges on Highway 101....

tac

It's easy to grumble about Portland and all her flaws (her people's flaws), but then you go visit other major metropolises around the country and suddenly find yourself longing for Portland. Even our neighboring west coast cities are huge, filthy, hostile places compared to Portland.

An extremely well done video! That was great!

My dad was involved in the Vanport flood, first in rescue and then in body recovery. He didn't like too talk about it though.

Portland has its good points, mostly by comparison to other urbanized areas. Most of its problems are not as bad as other similar-sized cities, but its society has always had an inflated self-image.

The truth is, Portland has never been as special (aside from the benefits of location) as it thinks (and thought) it is. :rolleyes:

These observations come from having lived there for four years (a long time ago) and living under its economic/cultural shadow the rest of my life. ;)

"New
Glajja liked it. We find PDX a satisfyingly fascinating place, with all the little green parks, open spaces and wondrous buildings. Add to that the most incredible selection bridges imagineable - including the brand-new Max bridge [watch it being built on a webcam], and you can see why it interests me - a bridge freak - so much.

The main train station there - an iconic building among many iconic buildings - is just one that appears on my hall wall in a collection of home-taken photographs made over the many years of visits

Hey, I'm preaching to the choir here, for which I apologise. Don't mind me - I'm just looking forward to going back to OR as soon as we can"

Well sets see the parks are no longer safe to many shootings

People are getting mugged and knifed at max stations.

Drive by shootings almost every night.

children shot in there own home.

Bridges under repair and taken over by bike riders and protesters.

alrighty

I travel the country and spend time in many major cities, Portland is pretty pathetic when compared to many of them. I will retire in 4 years and be gone.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews