JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
... what are the rest of us to do?

(hint = equalizer )

Smith said. "I'm by no means the baddest dude on the planet. But he's a regular Joe and I had a hard time dealing with him. And he took everything that I gave him — every punch, every knee, every elbow. He took every single one of them and kept fighting me."

First I am not saying that I am the baddest MF'er on the forum....
Nor am I trying to insult Anthony Smith...
And I am not saying that I could do "better"...
But..
Fighting in the ring is one thing...defending yourself when its for real is far different.

Again please don't read into my above comment as a dig at Anthony Smith , the UFC or anything like that.
I am just saying that when your life is actually on the line...how a fight goes and what and how a body responds is different , than when in a ring.
Andy

First I am not saying that I am the baddest MF'er on the forum....
Nor am I trying to insult Anthony Smith...
And I am not saying that I could do "better"...
But..
Fighting in the ring is one thing...defending yourself when its for real is far different.

Again please don't read into my above comment as a dig at Anthony Smith , the UFC or anything like that.
I am just saying that when your life is actually on the line...how a fight goes and what and how a body responds is different , than when in a ring.
Andy
agreed. no referee in real life.

I'll start off by saying I'm glad he and his family are okay, traumatized for sure but okay in the grand scheme of things.

I have trained and taught combative systems since the 80's, majority focusing outside of sport fighting, but I have also coached and trained people to fight in the ring (Muay Thai). One issue with sport fighting is no one walks into the ring with the mindset that their life is on the line. Sport fighters are also operating under a set of rules and their training revolves around those rules (limitations). Don't get me wrong, these skills can serve you and even save your life in a confrontation, but they can also come up short when it is a life or death confrontation with a tough, determined, ruthless, (or drugged up) person looking to take you out permanently. Smash and bash vs maim, disable, and/or kill.

This confrontation showed him the other side of the coin. Luckily there were no edged, impact weapons or firearms involved. Very well could have been a different ending. Again, very glad he came out on top.

Q.

excellent account of how the brain reacts with confusion and disbelief trying to process a surprise " is this really happening ?" encounter like this.
Interesting note about having a knife, then having to put down the knife to regain control vs stabbing the kid.
Despite all the mental preparation for this kind of scenario, makes you wonder how you would contain an intruder should they be non compliant and at what stage you would consider having to kill them.

Last Edited:
excellent account of how the brain reacts with confusion and disbelief trying to process a surprise " is this really happening ?" encounter like this.
Interesting note about having a knife, then having to put down the knife to regain control vs stabbing the kid.
Despite all the mental preparation for this kind of scenario, makes you wonder how you would contain an intruder should they be non compliant and at what stage you would consider having to kill them.
I think "wargaming" or basically running through these scenarios mentally many times before they happen and deciding what actions you will take then, help to prevent the brain from freezing up and just wondering if it's even real. I doubt this guy has ever done such.

Make the decisions now, or you won't be able to when it's for real.

"
I think "wargaming" or basically running through these scenarios mentally many times before they happen and deciding what actions you will take then, help to prevent the brain from freezing up and just wondering if it's even real. I doubt this guy has ever done such.

Make the decisions now, or you won't be able to when it's for real.

I already know what IMMEDIATE actions I will take if ever faced with an intruder, and I will not be posting those decisions here..."

I agree absolutely, but with the caveat that some people get stuck playing out scenarios simply and in their favor, then are confused / surprised when things don't go the way they envisaged and ,instead of being flexibly reactive, create more danger for themselves trying to get back onto their "ideal" storyline.

People can up with all types of responses in their head, if you don't "test" the tools against uncooperative people in surprising situations the reactions aren't likely to be there when the adreniline dump happens. As the old saying goes, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". Put visualization together with situational training scenarios and the odds are better.

People can up with all types of responses in their head, if you don't "test" the tools against uncooperative people in surprising situations the reactions aren't likely to be there when the adreniline dump happens. As the old saying goes, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". Put visualization together with situational training scenarios and the odds are better.

This ain't no octagon, getting punched in the face is nothing, if you're not punching in the throat, shoving thumbs thru eyeballs, hammer-fisting collar bones you're doing wrong.

"This ain't no octagon, getting punched in the face is nothing, if you're not punching in the throat, shoving thumbs thru eyeballs, hammer-fisting collar bones you're doing wrong."

Exactly my point, if you think I'm fighting "dirty" your tactics suck! :)

Q.

I mentioned before that my former bozz is a 10time International Karate Champion and inductee into the Hall of Fame. He also is a Kajukenbo Sigung, which is a teacher of teachers.

He trains people in the practical side of self defense martial arts, as well as training students for traditional karate matches, and a select few for MMA.

He has indeed said several times that training for the ring and training for "real life" is much different. Sometimes I think that gonzo types that only have MMA training are at a disadvantage there (the exception being that I have seen a number of attackers get choked out on the ASP vid channel :D). Better than me, but not as well off as Seal trained, Israeli trained, or something along those lines... you know what I mean... the thing!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads