JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just eat this stuff up. I love aircraft and have since I was a little kid when we would go to airshows at Floyd Bennett Field. (I'm old.)
There were still mostly prop planes soon to be scrapped.
My favorite transport was the C 119 "Flying Boxcar". It was the days of Sabre Jets and MIGs and Nike was a missile not a shoe. :confused:

Cant say NO to "Whistling Death" Neat-O design trying to fix a unique problem!
How about the heaviest armed propeller driven airplane of all time? Fighter, sure, over 280 German and Jap fighters were shot down by them. Also good at dropping bombs, launching lots of rockets, and attacking shipping in the pacific!
I give you the glorious A-26, tell me this lady isn't sexy!
View attachment 587192
Thats 14 .50 BMG's installed, and could carry 4 more in under wing pods with ammo! Could also install a pair of 20 mm cannon in blisters along the nose!
A-10 WHAT?

Interesting. I'm reading Martin Caidin's book Whip again and the lead aircraft in the story is a B-25 bomber with the glass nose removed/modified to carry 8 .50-cal MGs, plus two more on either side of the fuselage, all shooting to the same point, with devastating effect.

The Author's Note says:
"Although the characters in this novel are fictional, the combat is real --- even the final great battle. There was a B-25 bomber group very much like the one in this book and it fought with deadly effectiveness at treetop and wavetop level. Even Whip Russel has his real-life counterpart in Bill Bagwell, a pilot for all seasons and a flying friend of many years."

Makes me wonder who inspired what!

The Spitfire got the credit for winning the Battle of Britain. Although, I read the Hawker Hurricane shot down more 109's then the Spitfire.

hawker.jpg

Mustang vs Spitfire vs FW-190. It's like AR vs AK. :) Many days can be spent on the topic.

However , according to Ike, this plane was most important in winning the war. I give you the C-47, "That's all Brother" loading up for the Normandy jump on Wednesday. Had some friends in that stick.

Thatsall.JPG

Sandy Two Six, Cleared hot, Danger Close, bring the pain! Nape and strafe the Chit out of them for us!

Roger, Two Six inbound, Get in your hole!
View attachment 587582

What an awesome thread, I helped fabricate and weld all the hard point ordnance on the Heritage Flight Museums AD Skyraider it looks so cool and is one of if not the only one approved to fly with it. I also had the opportunity to fly the Val Halla P-51 from the rear seat.
I'm a pilot and you would think that if you ever got behind the stick of a p-51 all the fun things you would do. I had free reign and was froze! All I could do was fly it straight.:( But we still had a great time.
The bearcat did actually get combat time about 2 weeks if I remember correctly and is credited with one kill. An Oscar I believe.
If I won the lotto I would own a mustang, lightning and warhawk. Great thread guys!

[QUOTE="flydipper, post: 2274839, member: I also had the opportunity to fly the Val Halla P-51 from the rear seat.
I'm a pilot and you would think that if you ever got behind the stick of a p-51 all the fun things you would do. I had free reign and was froze! All I could do was fly it straight.:( [/QUOTE]

Hahah, same here, in the Bald Eagle. Then, jumped into the back seat of a t-6, did some aerobatics and promptly puked all over myself on landing.

TZVlthg4Csmqh8HmqSp28Py5NXNVg6BUnlllg3s5f1rSaov80JjRHiOi3GvRSfRrItvt5GhrXerI-6BRMRQ=w912-h464-no.jpg

This is my dad's plane. Although just in training - Florida. He never left the US as the war ended.
This is a Navy bomber. PB4Y
The Army version had a different tail configuration - the B-24.

Dad trained as bombardier. Although all got training in the guns.

Not a "favorite" but closest in terms of degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Mustang vs Spitfire vs FW-190. It's like AR vs AK. :) Many days can be spent on the topic.

However , according to Ike, this plane was most important in winning the war. I give you the C-47, "That's all Brother" loading up for the Normandy jump on Wednesday. Had some friends in that stick.
The C-47 is the military configuration of a DC-3. To this day, there are DC-3's being used a working aircraft.

My dad was a Cold Warrior and flew B-52H's in the 60's and 70's. Those frames are still flying even though the last one came off the line at Boeing in 1959.

B52_Rescue_10.jpg

[QUOTE="flydipper, post: 2274839, member: I also had the opportunity to fly the Val Halla P-51 from the rear seat.
I'm a pilot and you would think that if you ever got behind the stick of a p-51 all the fun things you would do. I had free reign and was froze! All I could do was fly it straight.:(

Hahah, same here, in the Bald Eagle. Then, jumped into the back seat of a t-6, did some aerobatics and promptly puked all over myself on landing.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, not good! I took a motion sickness pill before flying but my equilibrium was messed up for days. We did some hellashish maneuvers (at least to me they were) including a barrel roll at 75' AGL. I was looking at my buddies windsock level with us on his grass strip when we started the roll. Greg can fly the crap out of that plane, that's for sure!

Dang, I have to get my PA-14 done it's been too long since I've been scud running! I didn't say that did I?

Hahah, same here, in the Bald Eagle. Then, jumped into the back seat of a t-6, did some aerobatics and promptly puked all over myself on landing.

Oh boy, not good! I took a motion sickness pill before flying but my equilibrium was messed up for days. We did some hellashish maneuvers (at least to me they were) including a barrel roll at 75' AGL. I was looking at my buddies windsock level with us on his grass strip when we started the roll. Greg can fly the crap out of that plane, that's for sure!

Dang, I have to get my PA-14 done it's been too long since I've been scud running! I didn't say that did I?[/QUOTE]

Gotta show off that P-14 now, us Cub drivers always drool over Old School Piper greatness!

See my Avatar? More fun flying then a feller should be allowed! About the level of WW-1 Aerobatics combined with super slow speed agility and landings barely longer then the plane!:cool:

Oh trust me I have seen it. It's a motivator for me. I love that kind of flying sold my PA-12 a few years ago to build my shop. Recently acquired a PA-14. Not much to look at at the moment. I have the 18 tailfeathers ready for cover and am working on the ailerons and flaps, shouldn't be too long for cover on them. The fuselage is in a holding pattern at the moment. The data plate is missing for the plane and I have been in the process of getting a replacement and am waiting for the authorization letter from the feds right now. Type Certificate holder is ready to send me a new one as soon as I get the letter. Then I have LH Door and GW upgrade STC's here and ready to go! Lots of STC's going on. The plane is a true barn find that spent most of it's life in Arizona and all the metal looks like the day it rolled off the floor. Hasn't been annual'd since 1961. Fabric has been stripped and is ready for metal work to start.

20190102_135040.jpg

Hope to see her in the sky soon!:cool:
Are you going to go LSA with it? That's the way I would go, then you can upgrade as you please with no hassles!

What'cha Going to be running up front? Lycoming IO-360, or..........

I'm a huge WWII aviation fan. When the other fourth graders were fantaszing about slaying monsters, I was fantasizing about patrolling the skies over Europe in a P-47D.

This is a great site for raw unfiltered data on WWII aircraft.

Scroll down the left side of the page for different aircraft and tests.

Spitfire Performance Testing

Hope to see her in the sky soon!:cool:
Are you going to go LSA with it? That's the way I would go, then you can upgrade as you please with no hassles!

What'cha Going to be running up front? Lycoming IO-360, or..........
No LSA, has a 1850 gross which will be upgraded to 1935. This is a 4 seat plane, dual sticks up front! I have a good buddy who is an IA, he has a good repour with the feds and can get most things passed through! The only thing I would like to run but can't yet is a Catto prop (not certified). Haven't decided on the engine, either a O-320 160hp (most likely) or a 360. 18 gear, 31's, X-brace, skylight, extended baggage, balanced tailfeathers.

For those of you interested in seeing some of the war birds up close, the Collings Foundation will be in Salem June 14th and Corvallis June 12th with their B 17, P 51 and P 47 and B 26. The up into Washington.They offer rides of course, 20 minutes in that 51 will cost you $ 2,500.

Wings of Freedom Tour Schedule

I will be in Central Oregon driving my son and friends around for his bachelor party, so I will miss the damnit.

Hopefully the Airshow of the Cascades will have some war birds this year.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top