JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BNP = Birmingham Nitro Proof. This stamp came into use after 1925. Birmingham Nitro Proof [or London Proof, depending on which was handier] was a stamp applied , and was common to ALL firearms made and sold in the UK. Up to 1954, guns of foreign make, like your Colt pistol, would also have been stamped 'NOT ENGLISH MAKE'. British proof in mandatory in law for ALL ex-military arms so that they could be sold to the public in yUK.

So, IOW, your pistol was bought and sold at some time in yUK, AFTER 1954. Whether that was to your grandfather or not we'll never know.

Well, I feel very convinced my Mauser saw war and it's "owner" was killed as it has all the appropriate socially taboo markings, usage wear and a duffle cut stock.

I'd love to read these if you have ever written about them.

I own a well used 1844 percussion cap pistol manufactured as a US side arm about the time of the Mexican-American War, and a very well cared for, civil war era S&W Model 1 and a S&W model 2.

I have written about them. Do a look for Boer War Mauser carbine or Piet Huijsen here on this forum. And 7x57 Mauser.

On military guns - I would much rather have an "as issued" rifle than an all matching one. From my carbine days I learned that parts were sent from one maker to another depending on production shortages and surpluses. An "all matching gun is very suspect in my view.

I'd certainly be curious as to where my S&W Model 1 has been for its 150+ years.

7244DD56-8154-47D1-B83F-8115469BEE6E.jpeg

It's a Remington falling block in .22. I believe it to be a 1A. From a layman's observation it appears original and limited research indicates the same. It has a Remington schutzen stock on it. One screw is not original and the ejector tab (?) needs to be built up as it only works part time. I've shot it and it places one round after another in real close to each other. Best research is early 1870's. Wood is still real nice and the metal, though thin on blue, is good. I'm guessing it was only used for competition. It came from a collector in Las Vegas who passed. It'll go to my son some day.

DSCN0392.JPG

Of the Five Fn-Fals I've had four were built just for thinking of there History.
Those four were Inch Pattern. Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, and English were the ones I felt were maybe used in Vietnam Nam some though maybe used in Malaysia or Rhodesia or any other places.
The dance to get furniture that was "period" was what USA parts you could supplant from USA supplier companies to make up the 6 parts plus muzzle device.
I couldn't really dwell too much on fellows using a 10lb. 308, in the jungles of Nam.

Too hard.

It's a Remington falling block in .22. I believe it to be a 1A. From a layman's observation it appears original and limited research indicates the same. It has a Remington schutzen schnabel stock on it. One screw is not original and the ejector tab (?) needs to be built up as it only works part time. I've shot it and it places one round after another in real close to each other. Best research is early 1870's. Wood is still real nice and the metal, though thin on blue, is good. I'm guessing it was only used for competition. It came from a collector in Las Vegas who passed. It'll go to my son some day.

View attachment 697290

FIFY.

On military guns - I would much rather have an "as issued" rifle than an all matching one. From my carbine days I learned that parts were sent from one maker to another depending on production shortages and surpluses. An "all matching gun is very suspect in my view.
I'd agree with that if we're talking about American built guns that saw battle in a bunch of places around the world. Garand and M1 Carbine to be sure. For a Swedish Mauser it's not uncommon to find matching, or mostly matching.
And some that had arsenal repair have electric penciled, or sometimes numbers stamped over the original, after the parts were fitted properly at the arsenal. The Swede's marked darned near every part on their guns.

There is only two rifles I wish could tell me stories.

One is a Remington Model 33 and the other was my Grandpas Remington 760 in .300 Savage. I'd love to hear of all the hunting stories and trips it took taking elk, black tail and mulies from 1952.

I have had 2 pieces that were used in a suicide.
The 1st back around 1966 was an M1 Carbine.
The other a .44 Mag that a guy who went shooting with me blew his brains out with. :eek:

I thought that was mighty rude.
Now I only go shooting with people I know well.

Sometime the guns serial number allows you a story or some other interesting bit of info from there past.
But it's true that most guns don't tell you there stories. And I'm OK with that.

Now if we could just get there owners to stop! :D

1589730968795.png

Anton Chigurh is a fictional character and the main antagonist of Cormac McCarthy's novel No Country for Old Men, and its film adaptation, in which he is portrayed by Spanish actor Javier Bardem.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top