JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK for your handgun,and and I'm thinking 9mm and .40 SW for me, would you rather have 5,000 rounds of fmj or hollow points on hand for shtf?

My AR is all fmj except for 1,000 rounds of psp for hunting. But with a pistol, the fmj will penetrate "stuff" better. Obviously the HP, if it can penetrate will expand and theoretically cause more damage.

FMJ is cheaper to stockpile.

Assume you are going to stockpile a lot of it for your favorite handgun, and then start an argument, please. :s0112:

If faced with an either or, I would go FMJ.
In my carry weapon I load my magazine with 2 HP ( plus 1 HP in the spout) then 2 FMJ then 2 HP etc until the mag is full. My reasoning is in 99.99% of self-defense scenarios 3 rounds properly placed will slow any assailant down. ( .45 ACP ) If I should miss, or they find cover the FMJ may help, although .45 ACP has questionable penetration against even a car door. But, since I have no intention of being an aggressor, HP at pistol engagement ranges should do the job. 100 years of military use seems to indicate .45 ACP FMJ is workable as well.

As to starting an argument, if you carry a 9mm or a .40 a big stick to finish off your opponent seems to be indicated. :s0114:

(Just kidding, both those rounds are very capable, especially the .40SW)

As to starting an argument, if you carry a 9mm or a .40 a big stick to finish off your opponent seems to be indicated. :s0114:

(Just kidding, both those rounds are very capable, especially the .40SW)

That's funny and I know you were kidding. :) .40 is my choice, but 9mm is NATO so I always keep that around in case I stumble onto something related.

I'd go with ball if I needed to chose one type.

AND I'd pick a firearm chambered in a caliber that is likely to be carried by any troopies you might meet...that way you can trade or "borrow" as needed.

I'd probably go with FMJ if having to choose one. I wouldn't mind having some of both around. I have more FMJ simply because it is cheaper to stockpile.

In what hypothetical scenario could you only have one or the other?

If it were me, I'd go with quality bonded JHPs from Federal or Winchester - well established expansion, acceptable (for me) penetration. In my view FMJ is for paper, steel etc. JHPs are for social occasions. In a SHTF situation I'd want ammo for serious social work.

In reality I go with as big of a stock of factory defensive JHPs as possible, and reload FMJs as cheap as possible for training. Get both - shoot the cheap stuff to train and use the HPs for carry and saving for a rainy day...

Buy it cheap, stack it deep.
The answer is buy in volume for the best price.

Agree 100%. In a SHTF scenario it is going to be all about quantity. Access to additional ammo falls to zero. Less concerned about HP or not, or slugs vs OO. I love precious metals, but am smart enough to know that water, food, ammo, and many other things are much more important in QUANTITY.

Why would you want HP's in a SHTF situation.. I would rather dump 2 fmj's for every hp knowing that I have a better chance against barriers and have 3 times as much ammo.

I'd rather have 5K rounds of quality JHP 9mm ammunition for SHTF scenario rather than FMJ, especially if the cost is the same. If I am using a 9mm pistol, or any pistol, it will be for up close and personal defensive use or as a secondary weapon. I won't be using a pistol if I am shooting through barriors, I will be using my 6.8SPC rifle. I could also use the JHP to supply others in my group or for training.

Which weapon? My carry weapon or my rifles? For carry weapons, some of them are designed for round ball FMJ, so that is what I shoot out of them. The revolver doesn't care, so I shoot +P JHP...

For my long guns, it's a mixed bag, whatever is cheaper than the other....the whole FMJ thing got started as a result of the Geneva Conventions on War and not using "dum-dum" type ammo like the Brits were using.... In a true SHTF situation, I wouldn't give a rip nor a toot about the Rules of War....the idea is to survive....

Which weapon? My carry weapon or my rifles? For carry weapons, some of them are designed for round ball FMJ, so that is what I shoot out of them. The revolver doesn't care, so I shoot +P JHP...

For my long guns, it's a mixed bag, whatever is cheaper than the other....the whole FMJ thing got started as a result of the Geneva Conventions on War and not using "dum-dum" type ammo like the Brits were using.... In a true SHTF situation, I wouldn't give a rip nor a toot about the Rules of War....the idea is to survive....

The OP specifies handguns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads