JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If the Hearing Protect Act Passes, what will you do ....

• I would buy my first can!

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • I would buy more cans, though I've got some already.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Meh, I have enough silencers, so it wouldn't change much.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I have no interest in suppressors, so whatever.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), wut wuz duh ques'n?

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Hmm...12.5" barrel, 4" perm attached can=16.5" barrel. Would something like that be possible or become legal like the pinned flash devices? I never paid much attention to cans as I thought the hassle outweighed the result, so I am pretty suppressor ignorant. Would make something like an mp-5 viable and useful. (Who needs a 4" extra device that serves no purpose except to circumvent some useless regulation?)

I have four. Could use another 2-3, or 3-4, and a Salvo 12. Maybe a .338 Lapua can, and a Barrett .50 cal can for my medical school graduation present.

Edit: and NOW I need a Maxim 9 since they're on sale.

Last Edited:
Yep, supply and demand. But if the stuff comes down in price, then everything I own will get a can.

^ This is the zone I'm in now too. Anything that I really wanted to suppress already is or at least has a stamp pending. But after the initial market turbulence settles down, I'd suppress just about everything that I can because, well, why not.

People would go crazy, prices would be crazy due to demand, I'd wait til it wasn't as crazy.
I would think that these companies would not change the price the only difference is you would save money by not having to pay the federal tax but I could be wrong depends on supply and demand I'm guessing they can provide plenty of can's probley got a back stock of them by now there just waiting for this law to pass and they will flood the market

It is an interesting question with respect to market forces. Beyond the sudden rush of demand, the longer term effects on the market would probably result in a range of offerings. While there are now some bottom dwellers and charlatans in the silencer market, most of the silencers I've seen in recent decades tended toward better construction and materials, with costs consistent with said. The reason being that a buyer who is willing to pay two c-notes extra, file a bunch of paperwork, and wait an eternity for approval, would most likely want to buy quality from the start. I'd imagine that after the initial shock to the market, the silencer world would look a lot like every other Title I item: absolute garbage on the bottom end, some very high end expensive/exotic/whatever on the other end, and a ton of stuff somewhere in between.

And as alluded to by some in this thread, homemade cans would become much more viable since there would no longer be a tax and an absurdly long wait before one starts tinkering.

Wait for demand to die down, then contact my upper-maker and see if I can have them rebuild my 16" AR upper with an integrally-suppressed barrel. (And while they're at it, upgrade my flash suppressor too.)

It is an interesting question with respect to market forces. Beyond the sudden rush of demand, the longer term effects on the market would probably result in a range of offerings. While there are now some bottom dwellers and charlatans in the silencer market, most of the silencers I've seen in recent decades tended toward better construction and materials, with costs consistent with said. The reason being that a buyer who is willing to pay two c-notes extra, file a bunch of paperwork, and wait an eternity for approval, would most likely want to buy quality from the start. I'd imagine that after the initial shock to the market, the silencer world would look a lot like every other Title I item: absolute garbage on the bottom end, some very high end expensive/exotic/whatever on the other end, and a ton of stuff somewhere in between.

And as alluded to by some in this thread, homemade cans would become much more viable since there would no longer be a tax and an absurdly long wait before one starts tinkering.
Yes I would probably stick to buying one from the company 's that have been making them all the time not the new ones that will pop up

I would think that these companies would not change the price the only difference is you would save money by not having to pay the federal tax but I could be wrong depends on supply and demand I'm guessing they can provide plenty of can's probley got a back stock of them by now there just waiting for this law to pass and they will flood the market

I think they'd be more likely to think that they coukd raise prices due to not having to pay for the stamp. Stamp costs $200, cut the difference in half and increase by $100.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top