JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If the Hearing Protect Act Passes, what will you do ....

• I would buy my first can!

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • I would buy more cans, though I've got some already.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Meh, I have enough silencers, so it wouldn't change much.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I have no interest in suppressors, so whatever.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), wut wuz duh ques'n?

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
My post was mostly "tongue in cheek".
I mostly shoot and collect original muzzleloaders.
Also I try to shoot like Daniel Boone and Kit Carson ... So since they didn't have a suppressor , none for me , thanks.

That said one on a modern gun ( rimfire or centerfire ) might be neat.
Andy
Oh, I know, I was thinking it would be a hoot if done. And if it were to be legal, yours truly might have to make a suppressed single shot percussion cap pistol, just because I could. I always stay within the law, but the sheer lunacy of it attracts me.

There are cans and there are cans. Our Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans are $high end$ and are likely to be the best on the market based upon empirical scientific sound reduction tests? What other can maker can claim that? Dunno for sure.

Pop, pop, pop. All one hears on our heavily modified Ruger 10-22 short barrel rifle using the also excellent Green Mountain Ruger Charger 8" SS 1x9 twist barrel is the hammer dropping, a POP, the bolt cycling, then the bullet hitting the target.

Our Suppressors come apart for cleaning. Only necessary if we feel like doing so. The engineering in the baffle stack represents some extensive research and development. All parts are available from the factory? So far spares not needed.

These are only .22rf cans. They are not the bigger heavier high power rifle cans, including up to and including the big .50 Browning. $Expensive$. Will the $price$ on this quality come down? Hopefully. We will see one way or the other.

I do not think home building a high power rifle can is that doable by the average home end user. Too much tech. Too much exact close tolerances. Elite Iron has a barrel threading service? At least they did. Expensive also. Very precise.

My feeble point here is that through experience using the mundane .22 rim fire cans, precision and tech is needed to let them work properly. Looking at ours, I do not think cans could be made successfully by the home individual.

My opinion only. Respectfully. All Oregon, US Code Laws and NFA Rules Apply

Potato can.

2l Pepsi can.

Solvent trap can.

Whatever. But I would love to have my 10/22 suppressed and my .308. Can I get a suppressor that is also a muzzle brake?o_O

My feeble point here is that through experience using the mundane .22 rim fire cans, precision and tech is needed to let them work properly. Looking at ours, I do not think cans could be made successfully by the home individual.

Suppressors can be made by individuals successfully.

The question would be how effective they would be? As you said, there are cans and there are cans.

Except for any "booster" device, there are no moving parts in most suppressors, so all one needs to do is have some machining skills and the tools to make one. The design? Designs can be copied easily enough. Patents/etc.? For the individual, this is a non-issue as the typical individual will not be advertising and selling their homemade suppressor.

I am not advocating the individual make their own, just saying that depending on the individual, it is certainly possible.

Option 6:
Get out the drill press and the welder and drill some holes and weld some stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top