JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There would not be much available to buy. Even finding a BCG in stock is difficult right now. People who just turned 21 have to start their self loading rifle procurement during challenging times.

The parts that wear out and break the most....

Also I'm not sure you've really thinking this through much. They may end up getting banned to buy online, but they'll still be available retail. It doesn't mean the parts will be banned in general...

The parts that wear out and break the most....

Also I'm not sure you've really thinking this through much. They may end up getting banned to buy online, but they'll still be available retail. It doesn't mean the parts will be banned in general...
Most firearm parts are hard to come by in Local shops and are generally more expensive when available locally. That has been my experience anyways.

If we had a month's notice, everything would be sold out within minutes.

I never understood people who wait until a bad situation to stock up on anything. I had enough freedom seeds since I don't garden much, but bought more in January on a whim because prices were good. I bought premium JHP and sold most all of it from my purchases from a decade ago because I didn't need so much. I had a years worth of TP long before the disruption.

Is it really hard for people to stop and think, what if this happened, how can I prepare while times are good? It's like these idiots who call into Dave Ramsey's show, "I'm 72 and have nothing saved for retirement, what do I doooooo?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If we had a month's notice, everything would be sold out within minutes.
I mostly agree with that. Chances are we will get hints of it happening before a vote comes down. There would likely be a period of time when people are not sure whether it would pass or not. Some will buy early, simply on the fact that Biden has the idea in his anti-gun platform. Some will wait until legislation is actually voted on and passed. Then a bunch of people will between. The longer buyers wait the higher the price they will pay and the less selection they'll have to choose from. Prices are still low enough now it seems like a prudent decision to start making some purchases on parts that will get snapped up first.

I mostly agree with that. Chances are we will get hints of it happening before a vote comes down. There would likely be a period of time when people are not sure whether it would pass or not. Some will buy early, simply on the fact that Biden has the idea in his anti-gun platform. Some will wait until legislation is actually voted on and passed. Then a bunch of people will between. The longer buyers wait the higher the price they will pay and the less selection they'll have to choose from. Prices are still low enough now it seems like a prudent decision to start making some purchases on parts that will get snapped up first.

Yes there will likely be a delay. I'm glad I did my buying over the years when times were good. But I'm also fortunate in that I have a very high income (hint, I pay well into the six figures in income tax) and can buy whatever, but generally prefer to buy....real estate. I feel bad for those on here just getting started and everything is hard to come by and they are living check to check. Buying a spare BCG is a challenge for them...I was there many years ago myself. Luckily education and career building helped me get my income up so that I have a lot of disposable income. Strangely enough though, I've sold about 4-6K rounds of premium JHP as I've become a minimalist this year. I've started selling a lot of stuff off and am getting close to being done. The minimalist lifestyle really is liberating.

There are a lot of VERY wealthy people who live in Beverly Hills and are rich and famous who don't have AR's, AK's or guns at all. Even some of the billionaires in the area here, their EP teams don't carry weapons and they don't want them around. I've literally seen one get out of his car and tell us to go away and stop following him at his sisters behest. This was eons ago when I did that work. Mind you these are people who have active stalkers, thousands of them we tracked from around the world, and they didn't want security or weapons....so while I fully support the 2A, I really question whether moving to a very safe neighborhood like Mercer Island is a better bet than a gun. Avoidance of problems, higher quality of life. Less likely to need one, less likely to end up being charged by leftist prosecutors and less likely to face civil liability.

Last Edited:
Getting back to firearm parts :

Firing pins...
Extractors....
Ejectors...
Springs...
Bolt Carrier Groups...
Magazines...
Sight screws...

Would be at the top of my list for more modern firearms.

Lock springs...
Hand springs...
Frizzens...
Flints...
Lock bolt screws...
Powder...
Caps...
Top Jaw screws....
Nipples...
Hammer jaw...
Lead pot and round ball molds...

Would be on my list for muzzle loaders.
Andy

Getting back to firearm parts :

Firing pins...
Extractors....
Ejectors...
Springs...
Bolt Carrier Groups...
Magazines...
Sight screws...

Would be at the top of my list for more modern firearms.

Lock springs...
Hand springs...
Frizzens...
Flints...
Lock bolt screws...
Powder...
Caps...
Top Jaw screws....
Nipples...
Hammer jaw...
Lead pot and round ball molds...

Would be on my list for muzzle loaders.
Andy

Yup.

I figure most firearms enthusiasts who've been shooting for a while likely have a reasonable spare parts assortment already. Probably "enough" to get by for the short term anyways.

It's less likely newer enthusiasts, or those getting "into" something different would be set tho.

Something for all to ponder, what if a long term situation/ possible future "new" to us platforms.

Something for all to ponder, what if a long term situation/ possible future "new" to us platforms.

If one were to get a muzzle loader for use and wanted it only for shooting , hunting and the like...
Not for historic accuracy I'd suggest getting :

A Thompson Center Hawken or Renegade rifle in .50 or .54 caliber...
Or a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 or .caliber.

Percussion....yes I know that the above come in flintlock and flintlocks have some advantages...
But the quality of the off the shelf , lock itself , in those models , is at times lacking...and a replacement quality lock is around $185 on up....

Stock up on lock parts...powder , lead pot , mold , nipples , caps , ramrods

Another good option for a good sturdy shooting and hunting muzzle loader is one of the various sort of copies of our Rev . War and Civil War era muskets and Rifled Muskets.
Again , the historic accuracy of many models are lacking...but the overall quality of the guns are good.

To the OP.....Sorry for the thread drift.
Andy

If I may be allowed one last thread drift....

I would suggest that along with various gun parts...buying :

Gun smith tools , maybe not a lathe or the like...
But things like specific screwdrivers , hammers , vise etc...
Also Shop Manuals like those by Jerry Kuhnhausen....these tell you how to take something apart , fix it and most importantly , get it back together....:D
Andy

Heh, heh... I was just going to say, "A lathe and a mill!" Working on that, anyway, so I can make parts as needed. Local stores never have anything I need as far as parts go, anyway. If we lose online stuff like Numrich, that would be a heavy blow for people who like to tinker with old and weird firearms. Good luck finding anything local for that .32-20 S&W revolver...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top