JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Attempting to load a cartridge well beyond it's limits is unsafe and asking for trouble.

You too. I'll go back to insulting people. :rolleyes:

About the only reason I regert getting banned from the highroad was a fella named Clark there and his crazy blowemup hot every time handloads. freaking legend

Would the .41 Action Express have fared better?
I don't know that the 41-AE would or would not have been better. I only fired one once. I thought the recoil was more than I liked at the time, and that and the required size of the grip are what seemed to doom the 10mm. Personally I like the 10mm. While it is true the required grip size is somewhat larger than that required by the 9mm it does not seem to have the sharp recoil of the 40 S&W. I bought a 40 S&W, didn't like it and sold it shortly after. I then bought the 10mm and decided that while it is a big gun, the recoil impulse seemed to be a bit less aggressive and it does not make my forearm ache like the 40 did. It may be because the 10mm I bought is large and heavy and the 40 I bought weighed about 2/3 as much. Still, I load that 10mm up with 180 grain bullets and pound out 50 to 100 in any one afternoon, and I still don't get any pain from it. I am not a real large person, and I don't have large hands. So that is probably not the reason I like the 10mm over the 40. I am sure there are reasons that the 41 AE was not given more opportunity to compete against the 9mm, but you would need to ask the panel who made the decision about that.

I love the 10mm. But I have a brand new set of rcbs carbide dies for .41 action express and a box of factory uzi ammo. Looking for Jericho 941 or eaa witness in .41 action express
Buy the 9mm Witness or find a Tanfoglio small frame 9mm TA90. The only thing small is the magazine well, but it makes the fit better for my hands. .41AE barrels can still be had, 4.5 inch, 11 to 13 round magazines and stiffer spring (.40 S&W will do). If you go the Witness route, make sure that the barrel will fit properly even though it is made by Tanfoglio. You can also get the Jericho 941, but I am not as familiar with that conversion. They are cool looking, but I prefer the Tanfoglio. Oh, by the way, I just happen to have a TA90 9mm case hardened for sale. Will have to get it back from gun shop consignment though.

I don't know that the 41-AE would or would not have been better. I only fired one once. I thought the recoil was more than I liked at the time, and that and the required size of the grip are what seemed to doom the 10mm. Personally I like the 10mm. While it is true the required grip size is somewhat larger than that required by the 9mm it does not seem to have the sharp recoil of the 40 S&W. I bought a 40 S&W, didn't like it and sold it shortly after. I then bought the 10mm and decided that while it is a big gun, the recoil impulse seemed to be a bit less aggressive and it does not make my forearm ache like the 40 did. It may be because the 10mm I bought is large and heavy and the 40 I bought weighed about 2/3 as much. Still, I load that 10mm up with 180 grain bullets and pound out 50 to 100 in any one afternoon, and I still don't get any pain from it. I am not a real large person, and I don't have large hands. So that is probably not the reason I like the 10mm over the 40. I am sure there are reasons that the 41 AE was not given more opportunity to compete against the 9mm, but you would need to ask the panel who made the decision about that.
See my post on page 4, #24. It was the ammo manufacturers that pushed the .40 S&W in and the .41AE out. There were plenty of gun manufacturers making .41AE guns at the time and before the .40 S&W. It just seems to me that the .41AE had more going for it than the .40 S&W. Kind of like HD DVD vs.. Blue Ray or VHS vs. Betamax.

See my post on page 4, #24. It was the ammo manufacturers that pushed the .40 S&W in and the .41AE out. There were plenty of gun manufacturers making .41AE guns at the time and before the .40 S&W. It just seems to me that the .41AE had more going for it than the .40 S&W. Kind of like HD DVD vs.. Blue Ray or VHS vs. Betamax.

If I had to choose between the .41 AE and the .40 S&W I feel that the AE would win. It works well and can't match the accuracy of the .41 caliber bullets (They seem to work extremely well).

I love my 10mm pistols (and my 6.5" barreled Model 610 revolver). The revolver can shoot .40 S&W ammunition, just as well as 10mm. The accuracy can suffer (the long cylinder to bore leap can be the cause of this). For small game, the .40 S&W can be effective. For deer, boar and black bear, a hot 10mm in either 180-grain JHP or 200-grain FMJ-TCFN bullets are the "E" ride tickets.

As the man said while holding the Royal Flush in a poker game, "I like what I'm holding".

You all seem to be way more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am, but I have to say I love my 10mm. I have the Glock 40 long slide 10mm as my woods carry gun with a Burris Fast Fire 3. Love it! Accuracy amazes me every time I take it out. I carry a Glock 29 as my CC. Love it too! Personally, the statement that the 10mm has too much recoil doesn't make sense to me. This .41AE sounds like a round I would like to learn more about, though. However, I have serious doubts that I would ever be convinced to give up my 10mm's. (not that anyone would try convincing).

.Personally, the statement that the 10mm has too much recoil doesn't make sense to me..
I think that it has been pretty much conceded here that it in fact does have less recoil.. due to the fact that the 10mm is generally a much larger gun and most all common ammunition is essentially loaded to .40 S&W power level.

Even though this post is about the .40 S&W and .41AE, there has been a lot of talk about the 10mm. I do not own a .40S&W, do own 2 .41AEs and really do not need another pistol caliber (.32 H&R mag, 38 S&W, 38 Special, 9mm, .41AE, .357 mag, .44 mag, .22 LR, .380 ACP, .45 ACP). That being said, IF I got another pistol caliber, it would be a 10mm, probably in a 1911 style.

Huge 10 MM fan, and also a Huge 1911 fan, what could be better then those two greats in on a package! I have 5 1911 pistols in 10 mm and all shoot better then any other cal. In that platform, and make me look like a rock star, instead of the ok pistolerao that I am! Lol
Nice thing is I can also shoot .40 S&W through them with nothing but a spring change to make it happen! This is the best thing to ever happen to the 1911 in my not so humble opinon! A versatie pistol is that much better because the easy interchange between cartridges, from super soft shooting, to full nuka anti Peterbuilt loading, and with unbeatable accuracy!

How I loathe the .40 imagine all the 10MM guns we could choose from of it never existed....

I do tend to shoot 9mm. Better for my little girly hands

How I loathe the .40 imagine all the 10MM guns we could choose from of it never existed....

I do tend to shoot 9mm. Better for my little girly hands
Medium-to-small hands is exactly the reason why .40 ended up shining over the 10mm. A large frame 45/10 Glock is just a wee bit too large for my hands, just uncomfortable. Even a single stack 1911 requires slim grips for me to feel comfortable using them.

I remember in my youth reading gun rag's on the Jericho 9/41. Later the 10mm. And then the FBI's baby.

God I'm old.

As I remember the .41 was said at the time to be the [by people that know] perfect man stopper.
It's downfall? I believe was it's rebated 9mm rim. o_O

Fast forward to the 40 S&W. And you get the fruition of what the .41 was hoped to be. ;)

Times 2. I could have typed this post, cept I probably wouldn't have been bragging about how old I was. I remember a whole bunch of chatter about that rebated rim from both sides. It made the conversion from a 9mm practical in an auto, but it wasn't how a case "should" be designed. I believe if it had been designed with a conventional rim the FBI would have picked it up, then it would have been what the 40 Short & Weak turned out to be.
Way back when, I was hoping the 41AE would become popular because I reloaded for the 41 Mag and wanted to see more bullet options.
I have a couple of 40S&W pistols, one I carry fairly often. I like big bullets. It's a lot easier to put a 40-shorty in a small gun than a 45.

I see a place in the market for a mid caliber round like the 40S&W, but I don't see there being any room for another. The 40S&W killed the 41AE.

Times 2. I could have typed this post, cept I probably wouldn't have been bragging about how old I was. I remember a whole bunch of chatter about that rebated rim from both sides. It made the conversion from a 9mm practical in an auto, but it wasn't how a case "should" be designed. I believe if it had been designed with a conventional rim the FBI would have picked it up, then it would have been what the 40 Short & Weak turned out to be.
Way back when, I was hoping the 41AE would become popular because I reloaded for the 41 Mag and wanted to see more bullet options.
I have a couple of 40S&W pistols, one I carry fairly often. I like big bullets. It's a lot easier to put a 40-shorty in a small gun than a 45.

I see a place in the market for a mid caliber round like the 40S&W, but I don't see there being any room for another. The 40S&W killed the 41AE.

The .41 AE is/was a better cartridge. If you want a smaller handgun this was the way to go. The bullet options would have broadened the choices for the .41 Magnum and the rebated rim couldn't unintentionally "hang up" on anything. Both cartridges are inherently accurate but the .41 AE would have cornered the LE market.

Last Edited:
Medium-to-small hands is exactly the reason why .40 ended up shining over the 10mm. A large frame 45/10 Glock is just a wee bit too large for my hands, just uncomfortable. Even a single stack 1911 requires slim grips for me to feel comfortable using them.

By girly I men's soft and fragile. Not small I got huge mitts!

Well I am happy to have bought another 40 a new Springfield XD40 Service Mod 2 which has a 4" barrel and this one is Bi-tone, I got it from Palmetto for $330. My extended magazines for my Sub Compact XD40 will fit if I remove the sleeves, so I will have enough magazines to use for a range course.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top