JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my younger years I use to be very "short" with people who I thought should "know better". I was outspoken about their "stupidity".
But as time passed, I realized that I, too, once knew next to nothing.
In the grand scheme of things, I still know next to nothing.
I am absolutely not stupid when it comes to firearms and firearms safety. I have many years of experience handling guns and doing it safely. More years than many of the members here have been breathing.
I do know what a "Gen 4" is, sort of, but couldn't identify one compared to a Gen "1,2,3". If you laid them all out in chronological order I might be able to tell. I'd have to look it up on Google (or some other search engine) to know what cartridge a 23 is chambered for or what frame size it is. I'd probably do that before asking a seller about it, cuz frankly, many sellers will tell you what they think you want to hear.
I do know that all Glocks are "plastic", though, but like I said, I've been playing this game for a while. Long enough that no one knew who Gaston Glock was/is back then.
If I post an ad I do my best to describe what I'm selling. I've had some questions I consider silly, but I answer them. (except for the ones where I'm asked if I'll take $200 for a gun I want $500 for).
It's quite possible that the person asking questions about a Glock knows nothing about a Glock except that they are supposed to be the most reliable handgun (Yeah, whatever!) and is hoping that the person selling a gun with little description will help them out.

Anyone selling a firearm has the right to refuse a sale and should certainly do so if they are concerned about safety or legality.

But to blow someone off because they have less "knowledge" than yourself?

Might want to rethink that...

I don't think the OP was addressing a persons "knowledge level of a particular item", but was addressing the idea of "stupid questions".

I am an "expert" in Real Estate Banking, because I spent 30 years in that profession.
I don't expect anyone else to know as much as I do.

I am NOT an expert truck driver, and don't know much about them.

If I advertised my home for sale that has a swimming pool, and someone asked me if the home has a swimming pool, I'd consider that a stupid question.

If I HAD NOT included the dimensions of the pool, and their question was "what are the dimensions of the pool", I would consider that a valid question.

If I advertised the home with a "Super XVBE" swimming pool, I would expect the potential buyer to do their own due diligence and research what a "Super XBVE" pool is, if it is available in colors and if so, what colors, before asking me if my pool "is pink.............."o_O

By the way, I have a OD Green G-26 for sale. Don't email me and ask if it's FDE or Black...........................:D

I don't think the OP was addressing a persons "knowledge level of a particular item", but was addressing the idea of "stupid questions".

I am an "expert" in Real Estate Banking, because I spent 30 years in that profession.
I don't expect anyone else to know as much as I do.

I am NOT an expert truck driver, and don't know much about them.

If I advertised my home for sale that has a swimming pool, and someone asked me if the home has a swimming pool, I'd consider that a stupid question.

If I HAD NOT included the dimensions of the pool, and their question was "what are the dimensions of the pool", I would consider that a valid question.

If I advertised the home with a "Super XVBE" swimming pool, I would expect the potential buyer to do their own due diligence and research what a "Super XBVE" pool is, if it is available in colors and if so, what colors, before asking me if my pool "is pink.............."o_O

By the way, I have a OD Green G-26 for sale. Don't email me and ask if it's FDE or Black...........................:D

Again if they asked what the pool name meant I would assume most people would simply answer being that a potential buyer is just as good as any even if they are not google savvy. Either way it is up to the seller to be polite or to talk down to someone for being as you say "stupid".
I would expect you to explain what the heck that Super pool means in your flyer and online add. Not expect you to want me to do research on it for you. The person spending the money should get a little more leeway.

With the gun anyone asking stupid questions these days is par for the course. There are people every day that are choosing to become first time gun owners. I would rather coddle them than smart a@# them away. The more new owners the better if you are interested in all of us keeping all our rights and having the votes to turn down any anti gun bills.

I think that should be considered. There is a difference between ignorant and stupid. You can answer and most new people will learn. That or send them on their way and they will always remember the first time they tried to do a private sale and some guy was a jerk. I do not want that on my head when we are trying to get as many people on our side as possible.

......The person spending the money should get a little more leeway.

Disagree...the person spending the money should NOT ASSUME the seller is honest and straightforward about anything they say or represent.

caveat emptor
[ ˌkavēˌät ˈempˌtôr ]
noun
  1. the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
:):D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top