JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I stand corrected on my poorly worded comment. My point was that not ALL of OR has the same laws.

Also I posted the text along with the link of the WA law in my previous post.

Yes...thanks for posting that link as I hadn't really looked at WA laws.
And just as I suspected, OR and WA handle Preemption in much the say way....as WA also gives the cities and counties some authority to implement firearms-related laws in their jurisdiction. RCW 9.41.300(2)

So I guess you could say...." not ALL of WA has the same laws".... :)

To make it clear I can open carry on my hip in washington in a car if te gun is not loaded and by I mean loaded I mean no ammo in the chamber or clip correct? I have have a clip in the gun as log as there are no ammo? If te gun is not on my hip where can I store the gun legally without a cpl? Thanks

Can the gun be open carry in Washington loaded without cpl? And what about in Oregon in cities that allow open carry without a cpl? Can I carry open there loaded?

In Oregon you can open carry with a loaded firearm, unless you are in one of the cities that prohibit open carry, and then you can only open carry an unloaded firearm.

To make it clear I can open carry on my hip in washington in a car if te gun is not loaded and by I mean loaded I mean no ammo in the chamber or clip correct? I have have a clip in the gun as log as there are no ammo? If te gun is not on my hip where can I store the gun legally without a cpl? Thanks

In WA, if you DO NOT have a CPL, and you are in a vehicle, the weapon must be unloaded (just pop the mag out of a semi auto, leave the ammo in the mag) and the weapon can be anywhere, in sight, out of sight, as long as it is unloaded. Revolver needs all the ammo out of the cylinder.

IF you DO NOT have a CPL, but you are camping, hiking fishing hunting...etc (the words used are actually "recreational activity") or going to or coming from such activity, you MAY have a loaded OC or even CC in you vehicle, or on your person while you are in the vehicle. I would not push this one too far. you really should to have something with you that will convince anyone that is actually what you are doing. Will you get hassled for doing this? Probably not, but why risk it, when you get your CPL, all this goes away.

The law for the recreational activity exemption is RCW 9.41.060(8)

Can the gun be open carry in Washington loaded without cpl? And what about in Oregon in cities that allow open carry without a cpl? Can I carry open there loaded?

Yes, in WA you can OC loaded without a CPL...

Also, RCW 9.41.050 Section "(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle."

Also, I would highly recommend you spend some time familiarizing yourself with the entire WA RCW 9.41 section...this knowledge is one factor that separates responsible gun owners from some a$$hat with a gun...stay safe.

Washington is an open carry state, but Oregon is not.

OR IS an OC state...sorry. You can even OC loaded in a vehicle...as long as you are not in a local government area that has taken advantage of ORS 166.173 and restricted UNLICENSED, LOADED, OC.

Cities like Portland, Beverton, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria and a couple others....Eugene, Corvalus, Medford and almost all of the other larger towns DO NOT restrict loaded OC. Go to opencarry.org and check

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top