JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First of all this is an IF. I'm not saying I did it, but if I did, this is how I'd do it.

I'd start by watching a bunch of youtube videos like this one:
5D Tactical Router Jig Instructions - AR-15 & AR-308/AR-10 80% Lower Jig (2/2) - YouTube
And this one:
How to Build an AR-15 Lower Receiver Presented by Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA - YouTube

Then I'd order this:
5D-ALJIG15-2T.jpg
*Making sure to get the end mill and tool kit.

And a few of these:
80RAW-AND-2.jpg

And maybe something like this:
516444570_2.jpg
*Although those may be out of stock at the moment.

I'd probably already have one of these:
d7700cfe-ef11-46f6-8a5c-478a9d81557d._SL300__.jpg

Then I'd spend an hour or so making a huge mess in the garage. And another hour inside where it's warm and dry.

I'll update later with what all of that might look like.

If I were to build my own AR....

Respectfully ...

Or ... You can ignore all the fun and learning process and just pay the big bucks and have a PRO build your AR15. Of course that is no guarantee the build will be ... well ... built correctly. You pay the money and you take the chance.

What I would NOT do is just go out and buy a production AR15 rifle or carbine from one of the big volume low price outfits. One tends to get what one pays for. It took ME sometimes ALL DAY to build a perfect match AR15. Difficult.

Today if I were inclined to build an AR15 for a customer, (and I am NOT) just the labor involved would approach $800 bucks. And THAT would imply all the many tools, gigs, gages, widgets and whatever would be on hand. They are not.

For ME to reacquire all the aforementioned needful AR15 build things would be another bunch of money. My failed feeble point here is that one can machine and build his own AR15 rifle but understand the water runs very deep and cold.

Barrel. Bolt. Trigger. Optics or Irons. You gotta have those.

Respectfully ...

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And BATFE and NFA Laws and Rules Apply.

The Salad days of AR prices (Parts or Complete rigs ) are still hangin in there , you can build a Middle tier AR for well under 1k and in most cases around 750.00$ or less with lower tier complete rigs going for 500.00 or less (Take off up to 150.00 $ if you build it yourself )

Maybe if I was a devious felon or really creeped out about serial numbers I would entertain the 80% thing.
But everything is so cheap (right now).

More likely I'm afraid I'd like it and buy a really expensive mill and go ape schitt with it.

:)

Last Edited:
Maybe if I was a devious felon or really creeped out about serial numbers I would entertain the 80% thing.
But everything is so cheap (right now).

More likely I'm afraid I'd like it and buy a really expensive mill and go ape schitt with it.

It has nothing to do with a serial number or being a felon. I've got plenty of things with a serial number. Although you can never have enough. :D

It's all about making something yourself. In my day job I don't 'make' anything that I can stand back and say 'I did that'. Sometimes you just want to build something.

It has nothing to do with a serial number or being a felon. I've got plenty of things with a serial number. Although you can never have enough. :D

It's all about making something yourself. In my day job I don't 'make' anything that I can stand back and say 'I did that'. Sometimes you just want to build something.
Not to mention making a political statement: "I can crank out a gazillion more any time I like and there's not a DAMN thing you can do to stop me..."

If you learn to use it well you'll find a good job in less than 5 minutes. Everyone is hiring machinists: Leupold, Precision Cast Parts, and I'm hiring two machinist right now.

Nobody knows how to do jack sh anymore.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads