JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a more specific sub-question from what I asked before on another forum. I've heard people say how important it is to "carry the same bullet weight as your target practice bullet weight" on forums and YouTube etc.

Is it true? And if yes, why? What is the science or rationale or logic behind the importance of carrying the same weight bullet as your target ammo? I'm not asking to challenge that statement but asking from a purely informational point of view.

To be even more specific, I shoot 9mm 115 grains FMJ all the time for target practice at the range due to availability and cost. If I carry 147 grains JHP for my self-defense ammo, what are the potential negative issues that may occur? Is the 32 grains difference that dramatic such that the difference may affect accuracy or reliability in a self-defense scenario?

By the way, I do understand the importance of shooting and changing your self-defense ammo on a somewhat regular basis. I don't carry the same self-defense ammo for years and years. I try to shoot and change out my self-defense ammo annually.

Thanks for all your answers in advance.

Personally, the difference I perceive if any, between my range ammo and self defense ammo is negligible. I do familiarize myself with my defense ammo by shooting it occasionally and cycling through it with newer stuff as time and circumstances permit. However it is not economically feasible to shoot my defense ammo every time I go practice shooting. I think it is much more important and relevant to practice sound shooting techniques/trigger discipline no matter what round you are shooting so that the translation will be good form not only for every variety of a specific caliber but also across different calibers.

By the way, my EDC is also a 9mm so I can relate.

EDIT: The only reason I would be sure to at least run some defense ammo through your EDC gun would be to ensure that your weapon reacts the same and cycles properly without malfunctions. Other than that, practice ammo for practice and defense ammo for every day carry.

It's the point of impact that's important. Carry ammo that has the same point of impact as your practice ammo. Many people think that different ammo with same bullet weight will always have the same POI. Or, different ammo with different bullet weight will always have different POI. Not always 100% true. You have to test. My .45 is that way. I get different POI with different weight bullets. Not so with my 9mm. Some 115 and some 124 have same POI. Even one 147gn is real close. Too close to worry about at 10 yards. Some combos are close. Some are different.
Using same weight might be *more likely* to have same POI, but you still have to test. And how much difference is worth worrying about?

I don't think it's that big of a deal. If you're a world class competitor, you really do tailor your loads to your game and gun and just practice with that.
I think the power level of practice and carry ammunition is more important.. though again, it's not like the classic practice with .38 wadcutters and carry magnums on duty snafu that tens of thousands of law enforcement personnel did for generations.

It's the point of impact that's important. Carry ammo that has the same point of impact as your practice ammo.
^This

I carry a 9mm as well as the OP. I'm currently carrying Federal Critical Defense 135 and for me it shoots the same point of impact at the majority of the practice 115 and 124 FMJ I've bought.

At a distance that you would use your firearm for SD and not get 25 years in the pokey for doing so, it isn't going to matter.

POA vs POI

You need to know the recoil and how it feels when shooting. You should not need to know that a 115gr 9mm shoots 5" higher than a 124gr at 25y. You don't want to be calculating this crap in a stressful gross motor skills time. Know "if I put this here, it will go here.."

In movies like Man On Fire I see mercenaries carrying what looks like 147gr FMJ. Hence, I have a >1000 of those for loading. Since i use sketchy surplus powder to load, and my hands shake like San Andreas, POA & POI vary a sh1t-ton from shot to shot. To me, it's a numbers game. I'm old so people don't think much about me wearing a fanny pack. When they ask what's in it, they are shocked when I pull out two 30-round mags.

Just kiddin'. :s0013:

I have seen a few surveillance self defense videos which are the most likely scenarios. Some with multiple bad guys throughout the store but all between 1ft to maybe 5yds. While anything can happen, how realistic are these long range engagements likely?

I had a friend that was in a bank robbery where a guard was shot and killed. That entire event was over in a few minutes before the police ever made it to the scene. Even if one had an opportunity to engage a bad guy it would have to rely on instinct /training. No time to think.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top