JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I want to buy a shotgun from someone in Oregon but i live in Washington and am wondering do I need to go through FFL or can i just buy it and bring it back to washington? Thanks I been reading around and it was pretty confusing... I know that for Handgun i need to go through FFL but what about Shotgun and rifle through private seller in Oregon when I am a washington resident.

Any firearm sale across statelines must go through an FFL. Unless the firearm is a C&R, Curio&relic in which case the firearm can be mailed to a person with a C&R licence.

That is my understanding of the law.

Link below is to the sticky at the top of all classifieds sections...
<broken link removed>

But the answer is no. Must transfer through an FFL.
You can walk into an OR FFL with the seller and the rifle/shotgun and walk out with it though.

Any firearm sale across statelines must go through an FFL. Unless the firearm is a C&R, Curio&relic in which case the firearm can be mailed to a person with a C&R licence.

That is my understanding of the law.

UUUMMMM a C&R is an FFL license, it is an 03 vs 01 for dealers...........

Thanks for the info! ALL of this gun law is confusing..... Wow and the fee for FFL is like another 40 dollars eh? That makes all the saving from buying the gun.....
Was gonna buy a ruger 10/22 and a Savage 311D from 1962.... Do all of you guys stay 100% legal? lol

If i buy a shotgun or rifle from a local resident (washington) Do I need FFL or do i just buy it and go?

If you are both residents of the same state a sale or transfare does not need to go through a FFL

UUUMMMM a C&R is an FFL license, it is an 03 vs 01 for dealers...........

A C&R license is not a FFL as such, It is just a permit that enables you to receive Firearms that are classed as CURIO&RELICS

A C&R license is not a FFL as such, It is just a permit that enables you to receive Firearms that are classed as CURIO&RELICS

Funny I guess I got confused when the ATF listed it as "Federal Firearms License (FFL) Types", ATF Online - Statistics - Listing of Federal Firearms Licensees

So does that mean you think all the other FFL's are not FFL's also?

When you transfer C&R firearms out of state to an 03 FFL you are transferring it to an FFL not to an unlicensed person.

Thanks for the info! ALL of this gun law is confusing..... Wow and the fee for FFL is like another 40 dollars eh? That makes all the saving from buying the gun.....
Was gonna buy a ruger 10/22 and a Savage 311D from 1962.... Do all of you guys stay 100% legal? lol

"A Cut Above Pawn" in Beaverton and Willamette Valley Arms in Hillsboro each charge $20 for a transfer. And $10 of that goes to the state police for the required background check.

Funny I guess I got confused when the ATF listed it as "Federal Firearms License (FFL) Types", ATF Online - Statistics - Listing of Federal Firearms Licensees

So does that mean you think all the other FFL's are not FFL's also?

When you transfer C&R firearms out of state to an 03 FFL you are transferring it to an FFL not to an unlicensed person.

Ok I'am wrong. A C&R license is an FFL. But it still only permits you to receive firearms that are classed as curio&relics.

Thanks Nwcid I learned something new

Happy to hear people are learning from my post as I am also :)..... What is the cheapest FFL place in vancouver? So to make this clear if i buy a gun in oregon either a handgun or shotgun, I should go to a FFL place and transfer it to my name? Or should i go to my resident FFL State to transfer it to my name?

Happy to hear people are learning from my post as I am also :)..... What is the cheapest FFL place in vancouver? So to make this clear if i buy a gun in oregon either a handgun or shotgun, I should go to a FFL place and transfer it to my name? Or should i go to my resident FFL State to transfer it to my name?

If the owner of the gun you wanted to buy lives in say ...Portland OR, You would meet the owner of the gun at a FFL in say Portland OR, And then the FFL would run a background check and then transfare the gun. Then you could legally take the gun across statelines into Washington.

Hope that helps

If the owner of the gun you wanted to buy lives in say ...Portland OR, You would meet the owner of the gun at a FFL in say Portland OR, And then the FFL would run a background check and then transfare the gun. Then you could legally take the gun across statelines into Washington.

Only if it is a rifle or shotgun.
Pistols must run through an FFL in your state of residence.

Ok I'am wrong. A C&R license is an FFL. But it still only permits you to receive firearms that are classed as curio&relics.

Thanks Nwcid I learned something new

Sorry just reread my post and they come off kinda blunt, late night posting.

But a 01 FFL still ONLY permits you to do certain things, an 07 still ONLY permits you do certain things. That is the thing with ALL licenses they ONLY allow you to do certain things........... In this case a 03 FFL allows you to buy 03 ie C&R firearms across state lines, nothing more or less. It is what is it for.

Hope that helps
That's what I did when buying an AK-74 in Portland from a private seller. Met at a gun shop, inspected the weapon, paid the seller, filled out the paperwork, paid the FFL fee and brought it home in Vancouver

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top