JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have thought about this a lot. I think for me it would be post WW2. For many reasons including, but not limited to: Economic opportunities abounded, it was the earliest dawn of high-tech science and outdoor sporting opportunities had probably never been better.

I've always felt like I would have fit in a lot better if I'd've been born somewhere between 1780s-1820s. But there's no way I'd voluntarily give up antibiotics and a society of regular bathers.

Mid 90s. That way I would have been just a few years better established when this "Great Recession" hit.

I really like this time in history, personally. We're smarter than we've ever been, and there's never been a better time for a betting man with a good poker face. The internet moves wealth at the speed of light, and fortunes that previously took lifetimes to earn can be won in a matter of weeks. Sure, the sociopolitical climate is annoying... but you just can't have new good without sacrificing some old good.

In the last decade I've gone from impoverished student to CEO to bankrupt to back-in-the-saddle. It's been agony, it's been ecstasy, it's been everything in between... and right now, I feel incredibly positive and hopeful. I'm still in my early 30s, a hell of a lot wiser than I was last time around... The market is coming back strong, money is moving again... here we go again!

Go us!

If you are female and any color other than white, these times are probably the best. But, yeah, I agree that pre-WWII would be a good starting point as a white male...opportunities abound!

Right as I lived. Too young to go fight for banker profits and lies in Vietnam, but lived through most of the US prosperity via our debt bubble. Most of my life I've been very fortunately about the timing.

Odds are I'll have to sail into the US economic collapse forthcoming in the next few months or short years like everyone else, but hell, the ride was great while it lasted. If I had contacts/friends in a county like Paraguay, and spoke Spanish I'd be gone before the slide into hell, but I don't have those things, so I'll sit in the eye of the hurricane. Mentally preparing for SHTF days ahead and the end to the easy life. Goodbye 70" TV, hello rat clubbing and foraging.

Well said SW. I too have been involved with all of the above & man was it a fantastic time to grow & be a man in a mans world (except when the gals started burning their boulder holders) & then came the Liberal PC BS & it was all down hill from there.

I think I am pretty happy with the time I grew up. I remember rotary phones and watching the lone ranger in black and white on Saturday mornings, on our color TV. We had jiffy pop on the stove, lawn darts, but I still got to use some computers through school. No internet until after high school though. The AWB lifted in my mid twenties and here we are. I think visiting other times would be really neat, but I am right where I should be.

I would not change anything.
I have lived through some iconic events, like JFK, MLK, Moon Landings , Computers. Cruising, Drive Ins,
Black and white TV,then color TV, 8 tracks. Muscle Cars, Vietnam, my first war to live through.
When Pepsi and coke had sugar in them, And candy bars were twice there size. $20.00 would cover gas,
burgers, a movie and some change. People knew what honor was and being polite was more important then being
better and manners were taught, And the Pledge of Allegiance was daily school life, and God was a word people respected
not shunned in the society.

Sorry, man. You lost me at "8 tracks."

That was like living through the middle ages except in a scenario where folks didn't know that bubonic plague was a bad thing.

The problem with living much before WWII is that there is no modern medicine as we know it. You get before WWI and it's not much advanced since the middle ages. In the latter 1800s, bleeding patients was still considered a sound practice.

I could give up a lot of modern conveniences (many gladly, like cellphones and the Internet), but the greatly shortened lifespan and inability to cure the most basic problems would be hard. Then again, if I was born then, I probably wouldn't know better.

For me, only one choice - born in the late 20s. Soldier in WWII - army in Europe probably. Then see the peak of American civilization - 1945 to 1969 (we conquer the moon).

I suppose after that it would be pretty depressing...I know because that's when my present story starts...last echoes of greatness fading.

Are we limited to the US? If not...

- ancient Rome, assuming I could be a patrician. True glorious nationalism with none of the modern nonsense.

- medieval Japan - again, assuming a certain station in life. Would be nice to live in an era where individual martial merit could not be outweighed by any man with a gun.

- perhaps one of the Germanic/Viking tribes of late antiquity

- gaslight London - a fascinating period, mix of East/West, height of the British empire

So many other places/times that would be very interesting to watch but I would not necessarily want to have a lifetime in 1st Century Judea, revolutionary Russia, 16th century Italy, etc.

I have thought about this a lot. I think for me it would be post WW2. For many reasons including, but not limited to: Economic opportunities abounded, it was the earliest dawn of high-tech science and outdoor sporting opportunities had probably never been better.

Yep, me too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads