JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

RUGER AR 556 or BROWNING A5

• RUGER AR556

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • BROWNING A5

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Other, explained

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
Mmmmmmm I have 4 AR15's and I also duck hunt what to do what to do lol I would take the A5
I know for certain sure (this guy I used to know, not me, never ever) that an AR15 can take down flying geese when they are coming in low.. highly illegal under present statutes. A .22LR will take a low-flying duck or goose also.
This is off-point to the OP's question... Ruger AR or Browning A5? Obviously both. Trap and clays are a lot of fun-time behind the gun, it's all good, and a 12 ga can fill many roles. The AR15 is like "basic" civilian armament, glad to see that Ruger has finally gotten into the game.

What Nammac said! And with apologies for piggy-backing on his excellent post, I submit a more in-depth look with my own notes from 60 years experience added below:
Nemmac- "A combat handgun
A 12 gauge scatter gun
An AR in 5.56
{Add a .22 rifle and a .30-30 and all the bases are covered}

Adequate collections up the ante:

A combat 12 gauge scatter gun
{Yep, very basic! Remmie 870s or Marlins in the 500-series are good choices and offer extended magazines and a wide choice of chokes and barrel lengths and can be set up for slugs}
An AR in 308 {AN M1A HK91 or an FAL are viable alternatives and unlike AR production, are standardised. These COULD be used in a "sniper" or "Designated marksman" role}
A long range sniper rifle (caliber varies according to personal preferences)
A "sniper", AKA "Lone gunman", especially untrained non-military or non-police can expect a short run before being neutralised permanently. The purpose of an urban shooter is to terrorise an unprotected unsuspecting civil population. Forget living long enuff to be captured, SWAT teams live and train for that scheisse... Few of us are Zaitsev or The White Death, Simo Hayha. Both of whom used modified Mosin-Nagants and generally operated with back-up and as much intel as they could get. Ditto for Hathcock and Chris Kyle.
{A basic rifle would be any decent, glassed, high-powered hunting rifle. They worked well in Sarajevo and other Yugoslav cities against "soft" targets. I bet a Savage would be a good "make-do" for most uses. .30-06, .338 Win, or perhaps one of the new short magnums}
{In the mid '80s I built up a civilianised M21 rifle with Leupold 3X9 glass and a rebuilt second gen Starlight which also mounts on an AR15}.
A .22 Ruger pistol {Auto, with threaded barrel possibly. A second consideration might be a small .22 revolver. Mine is a S&W 36 and it gets a lot of use around the place with low-noise .22 shorts and cb caps. I recommend a 4" barrel.}
A .22 rifle {Could be any good hunting rifle, or a Ruger 10-.22, either stock or tricked to your specs} My long-term .22 is an old Mossberg bolt tube-fed scoped hunting rifle. Growing up I had that rifle down to a science and if it was small game and I could see it, I could smoke it.
A variety of concealed carry & combat pistols in an array of calibers (you know for SHTF scenarios)"
{It's easy to love pistols and revolvers, they have always come naturally to me. A good .38 or .357 Smith, a Colt Chief or Police Positive- entry-level handguns! Effective home and personal defense guns. Sometimes available very reasonably, used and ammo can be had for low-dollar, mild wadcutters and semi-wads all the way up to +P bammin-slammer hollowpoints. Simple to reload for too. I am partial to the Smith M&P .38, now called the Model 10, mine has a 5" barrel tho most are probably 4" these days. A considerable number of police and security company trade-ins have been on the market very reasonably.
A step up in power for not a lot more weight/bulk is the S&W 19 or stainless 66 in .357. Ive seen several guys using this K-Frame .357 effectively tho I stick to .38 special +P+ loads and avoid the pounding a full-blown .357 mag would give the gun. Of course low power wads and semi-wads work well for practice or small game.} Thanks again, and my apologies to Nammac!
Lotsa options if you shop around and they don't have to be
Glocks or 1911s...

It's in the Bible.. Jesus told his disciples to sell their cloaks and get an AR. Right there in 2nd Jehosophat chapter 5. and verse 56 Jesus said unto them "ARs", and Simon Peter did murmur and mutter into his beard "But Lord we have these AKs we took from the Muzzis" and He said "It is enuff, be of good faith and courage, for lo, The Donald has arisen a power in the land, and Boxer, Schumer and Feinstein and yea, verily even Bloomberg shall be cast out..." ...:confused:
I like the cut a yer jive.

You boys and girls want some blasphemy?

I'd love to take that Auto 5 and chop the barrel, extend the magazine a bit, maybe install some hi-viz sights on it! Oh Boy!!! :D

Something like this?

IMG_0858.JPG

Back in the SW OR USA solar homestead days 25 years ago we were dead $broke$. A couple of excellent condition Rem 11 shotguns got converted very much like the Rem/Browning shown. Ours had the thumb tang safety. Cheap then. Reliable.

Tunable by flipping the rings. Worked 100%. I wish we had those two, (2) cheap reliable auto shotguns today. Eight, (8) plus one. (1) Twenty four (24) inch barrels? Very soft pushy recoil. Been a long time ago. Ours had wood. Nice picture and thank you. :)

Last Edited:
And back in the days when I sold guns for no good reason, (what's changed?) I had the Savage version of this shotgun, with the short barrel, marked U.S. and with the flaming bomb.

WAYNO.

Yeah, my next purchase is going to be an A5 or an Ithaca 37 (always wanted one of those). Thanks for sharing! That's a sexy looking gun!

Back in the SW OR USA solar homestead days 25 years ago we were dead $broke$. A couple of excellent condition Rem 11 shotguns got converted very much like the Rem/Browning shown. Ours had the thumb tang safety. Cheap then. Reliable.

Tunable by flipping the rings. Worked 100%. I wish we had those two, (2) cheap reliable auto shotguns today. Eight, (8) plus one. (1) Twenty four (24) inch barrels? Very soft pushy recoil. Been a long time ago. Ours had wood. Nice picture and thank you. :)
It's been a great shotgun. I have the original wood and I'd like to eventually restore it. It will take some work but I think it will be possible.

It's in the Bible.. Jesus told his disciples to sell their cloaks and get an AR. Right there in 2nd Jehosophat chapter 5. and verse 56 Jesus said unto them "ARs", and Simon Peter did murmur and mutter into his beard "But Lord we have these AKs we took from the Muzzis" and He said "It is enuff, be of good faith and courage, for lo, The Donald has arisen a power in the land, and Boxer, Schumer and Feinstein and yea, verily even Bloomberg shall be cast out..." ...:confused:
You left out the part about John Moses Browning.

Our "Betty Bucker" also disagrees. But then again she is only "12" and very Russian indeed. Can I say that here? Her name is Betty Bucker because her name is Betty and does she buck. Ouch! Saiga 12. Winchester 3 inch 15 pellet 00 buck loads. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top