JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

RUGER AR 556 or BROWNING A5

• RUGER AR556

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • BROWNING A5

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Other, explained

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
Thanks a Lance! All of that is really good information. I'll be sure to remember whenever I my go bird hunting. The PDF is useful to, thanks.

Have to agree with the Ruger 556. Went into the local shop this past weekend to purchase one for $499, looked up and saw a Sig M400 Predator w/ a Romeo optic for $999 ! S**t! Went home, got my Ruger Mini 14 and traded up for the Sig. Still cost me only $500 so now I have a new AR to play with. Already have the ammo for it too!

:s0140::s0140:
And you know all this 'operator' stuff because??
AND have you ever 'run' (my pet peeve) a Ruger AR for an entire day or battle? Or any AR in battle?
I mean I'm just qualifying the source :s0092:
I'm a retired 'operator' and I'd buy the Ruger and trust my life on it......if my 308 battle rifle wasn't available,lol:s0068:
We were calling Delta Force "Operators" in the '70's soon every Tom, Dick, and Harry were calling themselves operators. I was not one...an operator...but I have known some. I was referring to the 'pseudo-operators on AR15.com and M4 Carbine.net. They don't like me even mentioning Ruger parts.

As for me personally, I was first introduced to a M-16 in '65 I was a PFC E-3 911.20 Medic. attached to the 173rd Abn Bde, I familiarized with it then. My assigned weapon was a M-14. I returned to Okinawa in August I think. I was mainly a target for mosquitoes. Some pops and snaps from some careful Viet Cong, but no real firefights.

In '66-'67 I was a medic, SP5 E-5 91B, 2nd Bn 3rd Inf, 199th Light Infantry Brigade. There I had a M-16 and did use it, not much as I was the Medic, but I have a Combat Medic Badge and I earned it by being miserable. We were generally worried more about booby traps than Viet Cong, but we did come up against a sizable force now and then.

I got shot at a lot more as a pilot in '69-70 with 1st Inf Div, and later 1st Av Bde in '71-'72

I retired from the Army when I got back from Desert Storm. I think I have paid my own dues.

I'd say you have done enough to recommend any firearm, or part there of...
I'm also considering this a thumbs up to the Ruger AR 556. LoL

Thank you for your service, and clarification of the joke.

English doesn't appear to be my first language, even though its my only language. I took high school freshman English four years in a row...only one more semester to go.

Well, I've always been a rifleman, so that is where I see the fun.
I do like shotguns, as a waterfowl hunter for about 50yrs. Now, all my shotguns are set up for HD.
I don't hunt anymore, so I use rifles for punching paper, plinking, gongs and such.
I'd go with the Ruger! You can defend your home, hunt varmints and rodents, shoot paper, gongs and ICIS folk! Good luck with your choice! I get budgets, but it sure would be fun to get both! :)

You boys and girls want some blasphemy?

I'd love to take that Auto 5 and chop the barrel, extend the magazine a bit, maybe install some hi-viz sights on it! Oh Boy!!! :D

You boys and girls want some blasphemy?

I'd love to take that Auto 5 and chop the barrel, extend the magazine a bit, maybe install some hi-viz sights on it! Oh Boy!!! :D

That is exactly what Bonnie Parker did with her Auto 5. Her gun had both the stock and the barrel chopped real short.

She told people that it was her favorite firearm, and it was immortalized in that famous photo of her with Clyde:

glockmonger_bonnieparker_clydebarrow_11a4.jpg

I'd get a cheaper one to do that too! You can find them for like 200 if ya want to start chopping LoL
I went with the rifle, but I'll probably shoot both today. Lol

Left Hand Rem 1100?

Edit: Also you can buy Rem 11 shotguns very cheap. Usually. A slightly updated and improved design from the Browning 5. It is possible our Marines used long tube 8-10 shot Rem 11 shotguns in the trenches of WW1. The Germans did not like them.

Last Edited:
Had issues with it feeding, bolt would catch a round about halfway up. Ejects every time but catches the round being fed. I'm guessing new gun and needs some run time, and more lube. Seems that has helped others with the issue and their new rifle. Oh well! The A5 wasn't ejecting either, but both sure were fun!

My father and I still had a blast with the sig mk25 and the browning high power.
I'm a crack shot with the high power, but still working on "combat sight imaging" with the sig. HAHA

Oh well! The A5 wasn't ejecting either, but both sure were fun!

Well, if the Browning A5 is a real old gun, it is probably overdue for a through cleaning and fresh lubrication.

And if you had the recoil friction rings configured for heavy hunting ammo, and you were shooting light target loads, that alone would cause the ammo to not cycle, even if the gun is properly cleaned and lubed.

Did you check and make sure that the friction rings were set up correctly for the ammo that you were using??

Lmao "that's a thing!"

Oh, you're talking about the A5! Yeah, it needs a cleaning and the rings needed adjustment. My dad decided that was a probably cause, and will see if that fixes the problem for next time.

Just need to get the wife involved in shooting, that makes it much easier to acquire new specimens...

:p
The only problem with that is then every gun you buy she's going to want one too lol why buy one when you can buy two for double the price HEHEH good luck

If you don't own an AR, get an AR. Jesus said in the bible to get an AR.. probably.
It's in the Bible.. Jesus told his disciples to sell their cloaks and get an AR. Right there in 2nd Jehosophat chapter 5. and verse 56 Jesus said unto them "ARs", and Simon Peter did murmur and mutter into his beard "But Lord we have these AKs we took from the Muzzis" and He said "It is enuff, be of good faith and courage, for lo, The Donald has arisen a power in the land, and Boxer, Schumer and Feinstein and yea, verily even Bloomberg shall be cast out..." ...:confused:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top