JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

RUGER AR 556 or BROWNING A5

• RUGER AR556

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • BROWNING A5

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Other, explained

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
Well seeing as your choice is already made, this is a bit late, but I'll share anyway. That A5, if Belgian made, would certainly be nice to have in the collection, but in the current political climate, I am of the opinion that we need as many AR owners out there as possible. So, for someone that supports gun rights and doesn't yet own an AR, I would encourage getting one, especially now while they're easily available, the prices have dropped and you can get lots and lots of standard capacity magazines.

I see the AR as the ultimate F You to the gun grabbing anti-gunners out there. Of all the guns we can own, the AR represents to them the pinnacle of their hatred. The "evil black rifle" is the icon of what they truly despise - our freedom to keep and bear arms. Add to that, the more AR's out there, with standard capacity 30-round magazines, the more 'common' they become. And the more 'common' they are, the more likely they, and we, are to be protected in court battles. To that end, we need as many gun owners out there as possible to own AR's - even if they're not their favorite gun, even if they don't treasure them, even if they don't shoot them often, we need them out there - I can think of no other gun that fires up the the anti's more than the AR-15, and anything that gets at them, works against them, is good with me.

So, congrats on your choice. Enjoy that evil black rifle. And down the road, grab that A5 if it presents itself again.

They hate the evil black rifle that's been protecting them, their families and our country, for quite some time now. That's some mentality. :confused:

Well, to be fair, they don't mind the evil black rifle, so long as it's only in the hands of the government o_O

If their ever was an invasion we might help a little. Or at least be able to defend ourselves from Lord knows what.

But ya they will never understand or give credit for any good deeds by gun owners.

They could all just move to California or Mexico where the gun laws are stricter. :)

If their ever was an invasion we might help a little. Or at least be able to defend ourselves from Lord knows what.

But ya they will never understand or give credit for any good deeds by gun owners.

They could all just move to California or Mexico where the gun laws are stricter. :)

Yep, every time a good guy (or girl) uses a gun to defend themselves or someone else, it makes them look bad. So they refuse to acknowledge such events, or spin them in their favor (i.e., they could have killed an innocent bystander!). Such is the reason they won't acknowledge the CHL holder that stopped the Town Center shooting.

No it's all about power - power of them over us. Some things never change.

Thanks again for all the responses! Tho I'm not trying to turn this into a political thing... just a comparison of semi auto rifles and shotguns. It's my second gun, so I wanted to know which everybody thought I might like better to have first. I went with the rifle because I can always borrow the shotgun. LoL

Thanks again for all the responses! Tho I'm not trying to turn this into a political thing... just a comparison of semi auto rifles and shotguns. It's my second gun, so I wanted to know which everybody thought I might like better to have first. I went with the rifle because I can always borrow the shotgun. LoL

I think we would ALL love to see guns not be a political issue. Unfortunately, as can be seen with what's going on today in Salem, the other side, those that hate our right to bear arms, will do anything to make guns political, to come after our rights. Until they stop doing that, it is unfortunate, but guns will be a political issue. I long for the day when they just leave us alone so we can enjoy our love for guns and shooting in peace.

yeah, it's true... I will say this since it's my thread... gun owners are not exclusively on the right side of bipartisan politics, there are some lefty's out there too. We just have to make ourselves more known and the gun owner community has to be more inclusive of anyone who has interest in guns. I know a lot try, but generalizing is a fault by which both sides are guilty and points made moot. Remember, it's not "us against them" it's "for all our sake"... I will admit it's annoying it has become a partisan issue, even tho it doesn't have to be.
Just my two cents with all the rhetoric I've heard about gun politics recently.

Also, I see anything more than background checks as a waste of our time and money. CCW's are important and I don't believe ours needs revision (Oregon).

Last Edited:
And this was my point,there is always a shotgun around to use
Try borrowing an ARo_O :D

Thankfully your Dad owns that shotgun so you can probably borrow it. I don't know. Here in Oregon they passed a law prohibiting loaning or borrowing guns for the most part.
thanks, salem

I'm pretty sure my dad is an exception, correct me if I'm wrong.
Tho I feel that is just common sense, and good habit, I don' feel it should be a law.

I almost bought it today, going to hold a few other guns first tho.

LoL literally!

I especially like the pan handle, not the nazi communities, but the wild out there. Good luck getting there!

You'd pay for 1000rnds too, right? Lmao

Yep, every time a good guy (or girl) uses a gun to defend themselves or someone else, it makes them look bad. So they refuse to acknowledge such events, or spin them in their favor (i.e., they could have killed an innocent bystander!). Such is the reason they won't acknowledge the CHL holder that stopped the Town Center shooting.

No it's all about power - power of them over us. Some things never change.
I never understood what the big hype over what type of gun (actually bullet or caliber) a victim defend themselves with. Rarely do they describe in any detail what the evil perpetrator had.

Thank you all for your responses! I believe I will have to go with the Ruger AR 556. The price is right and I don't want to miss out on that. I will really only be shooting targets, but it will be there if need be for defense. Also, the A5 was an accidental purchase made by my father, who knows I really want it, so it's pretty much on hold. The A5 is pretty beat up and has a modified choke that was popular in the 50's for bird hunting, and looks heavily used for that. Not really collectors grade, imo. I'll have both eventually, but I think I should get the AR556 first, while the market is low. Plus I like the idea of building up the AR556, which I assume can easily be done right now.
Thanks again for your input!

If the A5 was made in the 1950's, then it was definitely an older gun made in Belgium. Manufacturing was not moved to Japan until the early 1970's. Modified choke is pretty versatile. Would work for upland game and 16 yard trap shooting, as previously mentioned. There are plenty of shotgun ranges that do not require a person to have a membership, in order to shoot clays at them. You should contact local shotgun ranges near where you live, and ask them what their policy is.

For waterfowl shooting, standard steel shot ammo could be hard on the barrel of an older gun. Plus it would pattern super tight, more like a Full choke pattern with lead ammo. So if you were ever to use it for waterfowl over decoys as previously mentioned, you would need to buy non-toxic ammo designed specifically for older guns with tighter chokes, that offer patterns similar to what lead produces. Kent Ammo's Tungsten Matrix and Hevi-Shot's Classic Doubles ammo lines would offer that kind of performance.

And as far as an A5 being made in Belgium or Japan, all of the folks knocking the Japanese made A5's have no idea at all of what they are talking about. Those shotguns were made by Miroku, the finest gun maker in Japan, who have also manufactured Browning's outstanding bolt action rifles since the late 70's. Their workmanship, fit, and finish are second to none, and certainly equal to any Belgium made A5.

In fact, a newer A5 made in Japan in excellent condition would be a far better gun find that an old, worn Belgium made model. But if you are not a collector, and just want a utilitarian gun to shoot, just about any A5 would serve you well. I've owned a couple over my lifetime, and they are super reliable. And one can still download a PDF owner's manual for it, from Browning's website:

http://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/owners-manuals/auto5-light-om-s.pdf

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top