JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Replace. If I lost some collectible rifle that also had some sentimental value because they dun goofed, then they should replace it.

If anything, they should hold onto them until they know for sure, then do something OTHER than destroy said guns.

They are responsible for the safe keeping of any property they seize so thusly if they mistakenly destroy it they need to replace it. The problem here is how do you replace sentimental value.

Well, sentimental value itself can never be replaced, but the replacement would at the very least be a token of apology for it.

If it happened to me, I don't necessarily care that the sentimental value gets replaced, as much as I care about them at least trying to do something about it.

In your dreams they were "destroyed!" They are more likely somewhere in some coppers safe/safes!!
Or sold. I have an LEO family member who told me once when they confiscate guns that are NEVER going to be returned they had a LGS who 'handled' selling them and the money went into the 'general fund' of the PD. Then he tells me they discovered how the FFL had been misrepresenting the value of some of them and had paid them considerably less than some were worth. Basically the FFL was buying them and then reselling at a profit. I asked him why someone didn't do a little pre-appraisal and he said "Well no one around here is really 'into' guns that much"

Seems strange, that's like a carpenter saying he's not really into hammers much.
How many time do we hear about LEOs not being 'gun guys' ? Basically it sounded like no one in the department was interested enough to research the values on their own and relied totally on the LGS to do so.

Seems strange, that's like a carpenter saying he's not really into hammers much. :)

Think about it this way. Would you feel the same if a cop said they weren't a car guy? They use their car a lot more than they'll ever use their guns. I don't care if they're into guns or cars or model trains or women's fashion. As long as they can execute the duties of their job in a competent manner.

Edit: Oh, and unrelated to the rest of this post, those missing firearms are 100% in some LEO's safe, or made their way to some LGS. Destroyed? Please.

Think about it this way. Would you feel the same if a cop said they weren't a car guy? They use their car a lot more than they'll ever use their guns. I don't care if they're into guns or cars or model trains or women's fashion. As long as they can execute the duties of their job in a competent manner.

Good point.

Should the police? No.

Should the individual who gave the order: yes.

Too many people hiding behind a blue union.

Trying to get cops to take responsibility for their actions?

Good luck with that.

Cops-WeInvestigatedOurselves.jpg

I find your level of cynicism to be shocking. You will be a prime candidate for re-education once the transformation is complete. We're from the government and we're here to help...bwa ha ha...

...bwa ha ha... CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK.......Grenades!!! BOOM....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!! :(

The City of Seattle has, in fact, destroyed Many firearms Over the years even if they aren't supposed to. Generally they take a band saw to them and then put them into 55gallon drums. Weld the tops on and then drop them into Puget Sound for good measure. Few Seattle LEOs have any interest in firearms so few go home in lunch boxes. At one point in time the interest in firearms was a regular Question on their application and if you said you were interested your application went into the good old "round file" and that was that.

Oh, and unrelated to the rest of this post, those missing firearms are 100% in some LEO's safe, or made their way to some LGS. Destroyed? Please.
One of my teachers at the community college said one of the things he hated seeing most was all the guns they confiscated from criminals getting destroyed. Some departments are real ball busters about making sure that they actually get destroyed.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews