JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

would you still carry?

• Yes, I would risk going to jail to protect my life

Votes: 58 81.7%
  • No, it's not worth becoming a felon

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters
I brought it up because from reading your initial statement you imply that the likelihood of needing the gun to defend one's self would be reduced under said law.

That was the propaganda I took issue with, and always will, whenever/wherever I find it.

I don't think he said that at all. He is stating that, statistically, most people will never need to use their gun. He is not stating that increased gun control will reduce crime. You seem to be reading something into his statement that isn't there.

I brought it up because from reading your initial statement you imply that the likelihood of needing the gun to defend one's self would be reduced under said law.

I don't think my initial statement implies that at all, it's just stating a simple fact. This, however, is irrelevant. If you feel the need to discuss this further, please do it through PM, I'd like to keep this thread on topic. Do you have an answer to contribute to the thread? Would you continue to carry if it was made illegal?

Furthermore the likelihood of needing a gun where they are banned is increased, not decreased.
Like I said, read the "Chicago" threads. I don't visit my Kalifornia relatives anymore. They understand, and come up here and we go shooting!

As for running the risk of being discovered with it. That's the call of the individual.

Do you see the words "reduced" or "decreased" anywhere? If you don't have anything to contribute stop posting.

I'm just... not going to reply to this guy anymore. Good grief now I know how hotaru maniac feels...

When you visit CA, or other states where CC is banned (or de-facto banned like CA), do you OC? Just out of curiosity, I understand the hassle involved.

Here's an interesting post from another forum where I posted this thread:

I guess just be sure to wipe down your brass and wear gloves when putting them in the magazine, eh? heh. :cool:

I don't go to California.

And in response to the "Low-probability" of ever using a CCW, I know of 3 members of NWFA that are close friends of mine that have each pulled their carry gun and used it to defend their lives.

Each instance was in places they never dreamed they would need it either.

All 3 incidents occured in the last 6 months.

That is a subject for another thread though.

If concealed carry was made illegal throughout the US, would you still do it, and why?

This is the question.

Back on track please. (Myself included)

My answer is that if it were made illegal everywhere, I would then choose to Open Carry.

Why? As long as I survive, then nobody can harm my children. If I am killed, my children are defenseless.

I will do anything legal or illegal to keep them safe. Period.

If concealed carry was made illegal throughout the US, would you still do it, and why? On one hand being dead is worse than being a felon, but on the other, the likelihood that you would ever actually need to use a gun to protect yourself is pretty low.
you are correct it is low but like someone once said" a gun is like a parachute when you really need one nothing else will substitute"

It's legal to conceal carry with a permit in OR and I do not.

I aam tossing around the idea of getting a CWP, but I can not fathom a situation where I would take advantage of the CWP other then transporting in my car.

I am 47 and have never in my life felt, like I wish I had a gun on me, I have never felt threatened as an adult.

My lifestyle is fairly lame, I don't frequent dangerous/sketchy areas, I do not associate with dangerous/sketchy people, I do not have dangerous job, or carry valuables around.

The odds of me getting searched by the police is much higher then needing to protect myself, this could in theory change.

If it became illegal to conceal carry then I would not. Unless I perceived a real threat that I could not advoid, then it would be game on.

Do not feel that safe. Just because you do not frequent bad areas it is most likely the bad element will be coming to you as the economy worsens. Always remember" It is better to have and not need than to need and not have".

When you visit CA, or other states where CC is banned (or de-facto banned like CA), do you OC? Just out of curiosity, I understand the hassle involved.

Here's an interesting post from another forum where I posted this thread:

I guess just be sure to wipe down your brass and wear gloves when putting them in the magazine, eh? heh. :cool:

No, just carry a wheel gun..brass comes home with you.

Perhaps, statistically, the "need" for a CCW at present IS low. However, if CC were banned nationwide, the likelihood of a significant increase in violent crimes would be great. As things stand now, such BG's have to make the assumption that some percentage of the citizenry go about armed. This tends to put the brakes on assaults, robberies, and the like. Now, were the entire populace disarmed by fiat, that impediment would disappear. Note well the statistics in places like pre-ban-ban Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles..... hey, last week there were two carjackings in the South Puget's Sound area... one by an armed perp, the other by a tough that surprised an unsuspecting victim. One in Lacey, the other, I believe, in south Tacoma. How many more will there be if the perps believe everyone to be disarmed? (see Australia's housebreaking, robbery, and assault stats during the years pre-confiscation and up to the present....... they have increased several-fold now all the cobbers are disarmed. ).

Seems to me if handguns are banned, there will be two options... carry a long gun, at the ready, or continue to CC. Cops have proven themselves to be ineffective inn protecting the general citizenry.

BUT-- let us all hope, and work diligently toward, securing the future of our God-given right to defend ourselves and our families/friends with, if necessary, lethal force.

VERY good point about using a revolver..... brass comes home. Or can be safely carried to a bridge over a river a few miles distant from the scene........

And whoever mentioned using untouched brass, and gloves to load, is spot on, A LEO friend of mine has told me more criminals are identified and caught by their prints on the spent brass found at the scene than everything else put together. Most perps already have prints on file somewhere. Sure, they'll take care to leave no prints behind at the scene.... gloves, and the whole lot of it. BUT-- when in the safety of their home they "fall asleep" and forget... often loading their mags with bare fingers..... leaving a few dozen beautiful prints on nice clean brass......

If concealed carry was made illegal throughout the US, would you still do it, and why? On one hand being dead is worse than being a felon, but on the other, the likelihood that you would ever actually need to use a gun to protect yourself is pretty low.

I rather be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6. If the day comes when the law tells me I can't protect myself....... then I will move to the mountains lol

As said above it's better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6!
I had my door kicked in by a home invader with an axe. I have loaded guns all over the house but it was my sister-in law that was carrying legally that stopped the crackhead.
I realized then if you don't carry it you won't have it when you need it.The only place you'll ever catch me without a gun is in a government building or school.No law will change my commitment to survive and protect the ones I love.

I completely agree with those who would willingly violate such an unconstitutional law. The truth is, if a large enough majority of people feel a law is unjust and they organize to actively and publicly disregard it, the government would pretty much have to repeal it. They would have to in order to avoid the media attention and subsequent embarrassment it would cause by having to prosecute so many "normally" law-abiding citizens. But the key element for this type of protest to work, is for people to actively and publicly organize - taking their protest to the media. Otherwise, each protester is simply an individual disobeying the law and that won't carry much weight with either the media or the government.
So, to finally answer the question, unless such a movement existed, I would choose to obey the law since I am law-abiding. However, I would make it my mission - outside of my normal day-to-day responsibilities - to get such an unjust and unconstitutional law repealed. This would include lobbying congress, supporting gun-rights organizations with time and money, and - when such a movement existed - joining other "law-abiding" gun owners in a massive protest by actively and publicly disregarding such a law.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top