JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

would you still carry?

• Yes, I would risk going to jail to protect my life

Votes: 58 81.7%
  • No, it's not worth becoming a felon

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
If concealed carry was made illegal throughout the US, would you still do it, and why? On one hand being dead is worse than being a felon, but on the other, the likelihood that you would ever actually need to use a gun to protect yourself is pretty low.

I personally dont think CC will ever become illegal... But i do believe that they will try to impose laws making it harder and harder for us to carry...

No matter what law or right, your overall objective is to safely come home! By chance I don't come home, know there were others that found the same fate.

Dirtbags like hurting people, so don't arm yourself, we need more victims in the world. I only follow the rules at work. Asside from that, common sense and good judgement keeps the logical alive. Pack away my friends, don't do what sheep do... Follow!

I personally dont think CC will ever become illegal... But i do believe that they will try to impose laws making it harder and harder for us to carry...

Not saying it will become illegal in the future, just posing the question hypothetically. I know many people who are firearms enthusiasts and live in states or countries where it is banned. Maybe think of it as "if you lived in a ban area..." instead.

but on the other, the likelihood that you would ever actually need to use a gun to protect yourself is pretty low.

Where did that come from??
Have you "bought in" to the propaganda that making carry guns illegal will make us all safer?
So you're thinking that making CC illegal will stop gangs and thugs from carrying?
Are you thinking that the "likelihood that you would actually need to use" percentage would drop if such a law passed?
Read the "Chicago" threads.

What you have proposed here is at the heart of the anti's message. It is a lie, false advertising and jeopardizes your life as much as your rights. Statistics prove it time and time again.
And remember, no matter how bad it got after the ban, you would/will NEVER get the right to carry back again.
Personally, I wouldn't move to a "ban" area/city any sooner than I would vote for a gun banning politician.

Where did that come from??
Have you "bought in" to the propaganda that making carry guns illegal will make us all safer?
So you're thinking that making CC illegal will stop gangs and thugs from carrying?
Are you thinking that the "likelihood that you would actually need to use" percentage would drop if such a law passed?
Read the "Chicago" threads.

What you have proposed here is at the heart of the anti's message. It is a lie, false advertising and jeopardizes your life as much as your rights. Statistics prove it time and time again.
And remember, no matter how bad it got after the ban, you would/will NEVER get the right to carry back again.
Personally, I wouldn't move to a "ban" area/city any sooner than I would vote for a gun banning politician.

Wait what? I'm not saying anything of the sort where did you get that idea? I'm just wondering who would carry anyways even if it was banned and why? I'm not really sure about myself, it's illegal for me to carry now and I don't however that's with the knowledge that I *will* be able to carry legally in less than half a year (still 20 lol). I've already taken the class and have the certificate so all I have to do is go apply at the first available time after my b-day and wait however long the waiting list is these days. I don't know if I would carry anyways or if I would stay legal were it completely illegal though.

And if I think I would carry if it was illegal, does that mean I should also carry if I travel to and visit a ban state or country? :huh: I have friends and relatives in CA and Canada.

It's legal to conceal carry with a permit in OR and I do not.

I aam tossing around the idea of getting a CWP, but I can not fathom a situation where I would take advantage of the CWP other then transporting in my car.

I am 47 and have never in my life felt, like I wish I had a gun on me, I have never felt threatened as an adult.

My lifestyle is fairly lame, I don't frequent dangerous/sketchy areas, I do not associate with dangerous/sketchy people, I do not have dangerous job, or carry valuables around.

The odds of me getting searched by the police is much higher then needing to protect myself, this could in theory change.

If it became illegal to conceal carry then I would not. Unless I perceived a real threat that I could not advoid, then it would be game on.

spengo, in your scenario, would Open-Carry be illegal as well?

Yes. Most places where CC is illegal and OC is legal, it's generally a bad idea to OC anyway. Think about CA and their unloaded OC. Technically you *can* and it would probably be fine in rural areas, but try it in a city and you better be prepared for false arrest.

Wait what? I'm not saying anything of the sort where did you get that idea?

Spengo, you made this statement:
On one hand being dead is worse than being a felon, but on the other, the likelihood that you would ever actually need to use a gun to protect yourself is pretty low.

So you are saying you believe if this hypothetical law passed we would be safer than we are now?
That said likelihood would be reduced?
Why would we be safer than we are now?
Because you believe there would be fewer threats because of this law?
Why would the reason(s) (to carry) be fewer, or change at all?

So you are saying you believe if this hypothetical law passed we would be safer than we are now?
That said likelihood would be reduced?
Why would we be safer than we are now?
Because you believe there would be fewer threats because of this law?
Why would the reason(s) (to carry) be fewer, or change at all?

No, not in the slightest. Read the thread and stop bubblegumposting please. :nuts:

Then where did you get the idea for this statement?:

Because it is low... I don't know anyone personally who has ever had to use a gun to defend themselves. That doesn't mean I won't bother to get my CHL or carry though, I think of it more like a seatbelt. You don't wear it because you expect to get in a wreck, but in case you do you'll be very glad of it.

The question is, if carry was made illegal, would you still carry, or would you be a law-abiding citizen and follow the rules.

This also begs the further iquiry... if I *would* carry illegally were it made illegal where I live, does that mean I should also carry when visiting friends/relatives in Canada or California or something?

Also what does kool-aid have to do with anything? :s0092:

The reason I'm asking is that if CC became illegal, I would then OC.

Since you are saying that OC will be illegal also, then I would have to CC illegally as long as it remains a mis-demeanor.

When you visit CA, or other states where CC is banned (or de-facto banned like CA), do you OC? Just out of curiosity, I understand the hassle involved.

Here's an interesting post from another forum where I posted this thread:
Now here's a thought that throws a wrench in the fan. If you are carrying illegally and you shoot to defend yourself you will face several felony charges and could be punished for murder and still die. Its kind of a catch 22.
I guess just be sure to wipe down your brass and wear gloves when putting them in the magazine, eh? heh. :cool:

I brought it up because from reading your initial statement you imply that the likelihood of needing the gun to defend one's self would be reduced under said law.

That was the propaganda I took issue with, and always will, whenever/wherever I find it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top