JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This probably could happen in WA and OR with the anti-eviction laws. I could see either seller or a tenant squatting for as long as possible if buyer is not careful.

Not sure what the law here is in Oregon, but I suppose it could happen in Portland - maybe.

I let the sellers stay another month - they made the mortgage payment as rent, and moved into a house across the road, staying there (paying rent to the owner) for a few more months, and then moved to Hawaii. I did have to rent in Hillsboro for another month but it wasn't a big deal - although the property management co. took their sweet time letting me know that I could stay one month past the end of the lease so that was a bit stressful.

Even back in the 70s it was a PITA to evict people in Oregon - you have to give notice and then give them another 30 days or something like that. My dad had to do that with one guy and they left the house in poor condition - but not trashed. That convinced me to never be a landlord. My experience with a roommate in college convinced me to never have a roommate either.

In short, my experience with people over my lifetime has more or less soured me on people in general - I know most people are good, honest considerate people, but I have seen enough of the opposite to just prefer not to deal with people on an ongoing basis if I can avoid it - besides being a recluse.

Stories of this make you want to roll in with some homies, dressed in black and get him out. Make him disappear for a few days while his garbage is moved out, locks changed and security set.

If they busted down the door and moved in while he was out, they'd be a legal tenant.

with a 500K home on the line, it would probably be worth it. Rough the MF'er up good enough he will stay clear and realize there are better things to do with his money and time.

Let them reconsider life choices. Similar situation happened with some family of mine. I just waited for the call to clear the house by all means. Pimp, dealers etc in there. Wouldn't have been hard to overwhelm them as they stayed in one section of the house.

I've had to have sheriff physically evict three times. Once on a purchase and twice on renters. Another time scumbag son of seller broke in several times to steal everything he could (doorknobs, metal, etc). This was after closing and house was vacant. Neighbor called cops and they caught him red handed breaking in (chipped away siding around window) but they refused to prosecute and called it a civil matter. That is also what they do with squatters. Would have been out of jail in a day anyway in OR. I guess neighbor should have let him get inside before reporting it. Another time I had a lady try to squat in vacant home but I was letting a friend live there and he caught her. These people think if it's vacant they can move in and then it's "theirs". The lady apparently looked at rmls and went from house to house to find vacant ones.

Never underestimate the willingness of people to try to scam you or steal from you. Lots of people nowadays are into drugs and/or think there is nothing wrong with scamming or stealing from you. Assume they will try to, and take precautions accordingly.

As far as eviction in OR currently you cannot evict anyone for not paying rent which means they can live there as long as they want without paying a dime. The CA case above is even more murky because they are not officially renters. So they are in a total grey area. For me right now I would not buy a house until I physically inspected it that it was vacant and then sign. That holds true in any state that has covid anti-evictions laws like OR (I assume WA also?). They could live there indefinitely for free and you have to pay mortgage, property taxes, etc while they live there.

Last Edited:
I've had to have sheriff physically evict three times. Once on a purchase and twice on renters. Another time scumbag son of seller broke in several times to steal everything he could (doorknobs, metal, etc). This was after closing and house was vacant. Neighbor called cops and they caught him red handed breaking in (chipped away siding around window) but they refused to prosecute and called it a civil matter. That is also what they do with squatters. Would have been out of jail in a day anyway in OR. I guess neighbor should have let him get inside before reporting it. Another time I had a lady try to squat in vacant home but I was letting a friend live there and he caught her. These people think if it's vacant they can move in and then it's "theirs".

Never underestimate the willingness of people to try to scam you or steal from you. Lots of people nowadays are into drugs and/or think there is nothing wrong with scamming or stealing from you. Assume they will try to, and take precautions accordingly.

Ex got thrown in jail for criminal trespass: showed up at therapist house begging for a place to stay (she had been evicted yet again and was living on the street), therapist (retired) let her "stay the night" which turned into most of the week. When therapist could not get her to leave (ex refused), therapist called sheriffs, they literally dragged her out kicking and screaming, and threw her in jail where she stayed for about a month. She had also been thrown out of storage units - living in there with some of her cats.

She has been evicted numerous times - not to mention losing couch privileges at any of her "friends" houses (which are no longer friends after she wears out her welcome). Somehow she seems to have now gotten straightened out (I hope) and is living somewhere off the street, maybe - I try to avoid any contact as much as possible so I don't know the details - just some assumptions from the FB page she now has. I hope she stays straight/clean, but I will not be surprised if she winds back up on the street again.

She is a sad case and I feel for her, but I am not going to get dragged into her life again - in any way whatsoever.

The thing is, she has SSI income sufficient to live off the street - nothing fancy, but enough to keep a roof over her head - but she refused to use that income wisely and kept winding back up on the street (in no small part due to refusing to pay rent and getting into trouble with the law repeatedly).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top