JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been looking at Cold Steel walking sticks...Blackthorn and their Sword Cane. What is your experiences with these, and would you recommend something different? Also, with regards to pocket folders at a reasonable price, what are your recommendations? Thanks in advance!

I am a fan of the Cold Steel and most of Lynn T.'s products. But I dont like there blackthorn, or any of the walking sticks / industrictable sticks, that is made with that plastic stuff. sure its strong, and pretty light, but i dont like its "feel".. simply put

i do like cold steels cane, its this ones not a sword cane, but a good wacking stick that blends in well. <broken link removed> that thing is pretty neet,

Cold Steel does have some good pocket folders, AK, mini AK, Recon and the like, when you get those the grip is very grippy.. and some of my friends have filed theirs down a bit so it dosent rub on their pants to much.

Columbia River has some good stuff, i've had a few of em, they open smooth, are small and slim, and last. and for their price are economical. (sometimes you can find these on sale at big 5 for like 15 bux)

ive had benchmades, but these are the European sports cars of the pocket folders, i found they start off out of the factory like a well tuned machine, but without constant maintenance will fall apart.

kershaw has some nice assisted openings, i dont like their rubberized handled ones.

most of these are in the sub 100 dollar range, and will suit most any need you have.
if you want custom thats a different ball game.

I love my polymer blackthorns and the feel seems perfect to me. I can throw one boomerang style accurately to 45 feet.. great way to chase away aggressive dogs

Ditto on CRKT.. my daily carry folder is the discontinued Apache. Thankfully I bought several of them so I have spares

BTW I will be manufacturing maple blackthorn type sticks in the future, maybe that would suit you better, snapshot

What do you consider the best (for price performance) Japanese chef knife in the 6" range Blitz?

ive had benchmades, but these are the European sports cars of the pocket folders, i found they start off out of the factory like a well tuned machine, but without constant maintenance will fall apart.

Really, please explain? How exactly do they fall apart? And what has to be maintained, other than the edge? :confused:

I own a few Benchmades, havn't seen it. My BM Presidio auto has been through the washer and dryer atleast 4 times, still works like a champ. Carry it everyday,,, :eek: :s0112:

I am a fan of the Cold Steel and most of Lynn T.'s products. But I dont like there blackthorn, or any of the walking sticks / industrictable sticks, that is made with that plastic stuff. sure its strong, and pretty light, but i dont like its "feel".. simply put

i do like cold steels cane, its this ones not a sword cane, but a good wacking stick that blends in well. <broken link removed> that thing is pretty neet.
I found the Hickory Heavy Canne from Purpleheart Armory (the moiddle one in the picture below) to be excellent. The balance is perfect, and the quality is outstanding. The stick is designed for the French la canné style of stick fighting.

<broken link removed>

That is what I will soon be making from maple and several other woods, including exotic music wood. Be aware that while rattan is light and fast it does not make a very good short weapon. I do have a steel tipped heavy rattan 5 foot + walking stick that makes a fine weapon, especially with the steel ice spike tip

I love my polymer blackthorns and the feel seems perfect to me. I can throw one boomerang style accurately to 45 feet.. great way to chase away aggressive dogs

Ditto on CRKT.. my daily carry folder is the discontinued Apache. Thankfully I bought several of them so I have spares

BTW I will be manufacturing maple blackthorn type sticks in the future, maybe that would suit you better, snapshot

I can vouch for the brutal effectiveness of the Cold Steel Blackthorn stick. I have one and have knocked a full-grown billygoat unconscious (!) with it with one hit.

Id really like to hear the story behind this! :s0112:

As you wish.

I live on a small farm and one of the things I raise is goats. Specifically Boer goats for meat. I generally let them roam around the fenced section near the barn. I also walk with a cane sometimes, when my right knee bothers me worse than normal. Well...one day a couple years ago I pulled my Dodge Demon out of front section of the barn and had to go back in the house to grab a couple things. When I came back out, the goddamn billygoat was standing on the hood of my car with his evil devil hooves. I started to yell and advanced pretty quickly at it and, as I got close, the goat defiantly pissed all over the hood. I had that Blackthorn walking stick in my hand and I drilled that sumbubblegum right on top of his goat-head. To my surprise, he fell over on the hood and slid off the fender, leaving a fair dent in the hood. I figured I'd killed it and, since I was late, I jumped in the Demon and drove off to my appointment in town, telling myself I'd load his stinking carcass into the bucket of the tractor and take care of it when I got back.

When I returned and very much to my surprise, that damn goat was awake when I got back to the barn....with one hell of a knot on the top of his head. To this day, if I have that walking stick in my hand and wander out to the barn, that damn goat bleats at me and runs around the corner at full-tilt.

Igot a Blackthorn, and three cane swords, you can have the blackthorn, I think its to plastic feeling, the can swords to me are too CHINA. If you want a GOOD walking stick, try a waxwood stick. I got a 6' staff and (20.00) a 4'er walking stick. I think either Bud K or smokeymountian knives sells them.I don't think you can break these. do some research, I think you'll be happy. I put a Cold steel Bushman on the end of the staff, and I gotta hella good spear:s0155:

The Cold Steel Blackthorn is what I call a throw away stick.. great for using and abusing but of course not elegant or the best balance. I can throw one (horizontal boomerang style) up to about 50 feet effectively and not care if it gets scuffed up

I will be manufacturing classy hardwood shaft mace head style sticks in the future but they are going to cost a lot more than a CS poly stick, and you sure are not going to want to throw them unless you got bucks

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top