Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

IED Planted at Oregon War Memorial Cross

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erudne, Aug 26, 2013.

1. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

AP Graphics

By Todd Starnes

Someone ignited an improvised explosive device next to a war memorial cross that a prominent atheist group wanted removed from a public park in Coos Bay, Ore., an attorney for the city told Fox News.
    An official statement on the city’s website called it an act of “criminal mischief” and stated that an ”unknown person(s) vandalized the memorial with an improvised explosive device.”
    “We unfortunately are now to the point where explosive devices are being placed next to crosses,” said Hiram Sasser, director of litigation at the Liberty Institute.
    The Texas-based Liberty Institute was hired by the city to determine the constitutionality of the Mingo Park Vietnam War Memorial cross.
    The cross is still standing, but did sustain superficial damage, Coos Bay City Manager Roger Craddock told Fox
    Read more: IED Planted at Oregon War Memorial Cross - Fox Nation

2. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

Criminal mischief?

Isn't use of explosives for crime, a felony?

Taku and (deleted member) like this.
  3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

A ho-hum event. Good think it wasn't a Pride flag or Crescent Moon that got torched.

Keith

Brutus57, samuelm16, Redcap and 7 others like this.
  4. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

It's only terror related when a conservative group does it.

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That would be an executionable offence!!!

unklekippy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

This bullbubblegum is done in the name of lies. People that commit these crimes cite a non-existent "separation of church and state". The words simply do not exist in The Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Evil people well on the Left of things pretend that our Founding Fathers wanted us to shun God. The only thing they protected us from was another Church of England. They learned those lessons from the British and didn't allow the creation or declaration of one church by our government. The God mentioned on our money and in our founding documents has nothing to do with Allah or Buddha.

Remember the '50's? Things were at their best when we feared God. Liberals call stepping away from God "progress". I call it "Detroit".

As I've said before, it's 1954 in my house. I see a lot of people already burning on Earth in the name of "progress". They can burn in Hell when they're done sizzling here. In my house, right and wrong still exist, no matter how many Lefties tell me to allow wrong to flood the streets.

7. JVK

JVK West Active Member

I'm lacking motivation to jump to conclusions.

8. unklekippy

Then don't jump to conclusions. The Freedom From Religion Front sent a letter demanding that the cross be taken down and then this happens. They have all but taken credit for it(though, to be perfectly clear, they have not taken credit for it.) and made it clear they are OK with it.

We now have folks bombing religious markers in America. We have finally reached the level of the Middle East.

BoonDocks36, Taku, Brutus57 and 7 others like this.
  9. JVK

JVK West Active Member

I don't agree with it but frankly don't really even care who did it for whatever reason. I play an Atheist on tv but don't immediately see the concern behind this cross.

"IED" & "Explosive" seem a bit extreme. Maybe more like an M80 or something. Which makes me think it was probably just some dumb kid. Yeah dumb kids trying to blow up bubblegum, imagine that.

Not everything automatically equates to all hell and damnation. Satan, evil, God, whatever.

10. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Kinda be nice if there was a "Freedom from Freedom from Religion"... I haven't been to church since that last time where I burst into flames, but fer cryin' out loud can't everybody play nice just once? Does everybody HAVE to be offended by something? These clowns should just get over it. BTW it's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion last time I read the First Ammendment.

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Yes
    Likely also a hate crime

12. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

For a free society to function in a healthy manner you need a populace with a majority of folks who respect each other and above all have integrity. Minus those traits, there is no such thing as bottom of the barrel or lowest common denominator. Society will continue its slide towards Gomorrah uninhibited.
    You don't have to be a religious person to see it. How humans treat humans and how many will go to any extent to destroy another's ideology is obvious enough. It happens here constantly. There are those who cannot resist insulting a group of people any time faith is referenced. They will go out of their way to do it.
    I imagine it makes them feel intellectual, but I don't know.
    Man's inhumanity towards man. It's a way of life.

13. Stevenav

Stevenav Redmond Active Member

Why not just get some volunteers to guard it from a series of hidden locations. If a person is spotted planting an IED then just shoot them. They're clearly conducting terrorist activities.

If we simply dealt with the people conducting these activities in a permanent and decisive manner we'd not continue to have these sorts of things continuing to happen.

14. unklekippy

An M80? It was an explosive, quotation marks or not. It also is exactly an IED. There is no evidence or even a hint that kids did this. There is all the evidence that adults did this.

No matter how you play it down, an explosive device was planted at a religious marker in The US. Not an M80, not harmless kids having fun. The intentional destruction of a religious marker with an explosive device. If you don't see the obvious step toward Middle East behavior we just took and all that implies, why even pull your head out of the sand to throw out irrational conclusions(which you have no motivation to jump to)?

Things would be a lot simpler if people would just leave the kids playing with M80's all over the Middle East alone. I mean, what's the big deal?

15. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

What bothers me more, and I am a Christian, is the desecration of the War Memorial itself. I was just a couple of years to young to serve in Vietnam being 17 and still in high school in 1975. But I paid attention to the evening news and then studied the war and our triumphs and failure as an officer in the military. These fringe groups are lucky there are folks with restraint on the other side of their whining. If they are so offended...move out... but mostly, they are bored, spineless cowards without the competence to even construct something that could do the job. "Mommy, mommy, look my action group is on TV." "We are tough and changing the world." And yes, there will always be young men and women who will always defend their right to spout hate and be piles of steaming bubblegum.

Brutus Out

16. JVK

JVK West Active Member

You must have some information on the explosive used, or what was recovered?

Despite reading & looking at multiple photos/articles i'm at a loss at what obvious damage occurred.

My apologies for assuming the explosive used was.. small.

We can mutually agree that our standards of what constitutes evidence differ.

Agreed.

It is important to note the amount of your original post dedicated to the memorial -> Zero.