JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sunday is unusual.

Info at: Tri-County Defensive Pistol League

Reminder you need to follow TC Rules AND IDPA Rules
big one is: NO MUZZLE OVER THE BERM

IDPA - Welcome!

New "Ballistic Sand" in Backstops Enhances Safety | Tri-County Gun Club

Oregon TCDPL April 30, 2017 IDPA Match
Apr 30, 8:00am - 3:00pm

Tri-County Defensive Pistol League
13050 SW Tonquin Rd
Sherwood, OR 97140 Map

***NO MUZZLES OVER THE BERM***
$15.00 to Play
Click on the "Tickets Available" Link to pre-register.
UDPATE: NFC DIVISION IS NO MORE
WE WILL BE CREATING NEW SPECIALTY DIVISIONS
PCC - PISTOL CALIBER CARBINE, COD - CARRY OPTIC PISTOL DIVISION, LLD, LIGHT AND LASER PISTOL DIVISION. HOLSTERS AND MAG HOLDERS MUST COMPLY WITH IDPA RULES. PCC IS A TEST DIVISION AT THIS TIME.
Divisions: SSP, ESP, CCP, CDP, REV, BUG, COD, LLD
Open to the public...please email: [email protected]
for further information.

Schedule
• 0800 Setup crews assemble by the stat shack.
• 0900 New Shooter Briefing on Bay 9 (Must be on time)
• 0830 – 0900 Registration & Payment – $15 cash
(at the stat shack)
• 1000 Match Start

If you want some defensive shooting with stress (timer) IDPA

I recommend Steel for new shooters.
IDPA when you have good finger control, muzzle control and can hit what you aim at.

If you want Run & Gun Fun -
USPSA
3-Gun

Last Edited:
Stock Glock 19 would be SSP (Standard Service Pistol). If you have modified it with custom springs, replaced the trigger with non-stock parts, extended controls, etc, that would make it ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol).

Stock Glock 19 would be SSP (Standard Service Pistol). If you have modified it with custom springs, replaced the trigger with non-stock parts, extended controls, etc, that would make it ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol).

Did the rules change move the G19 ? Last year it was the "best," IMHO, CCP gun.

Now that my shield is in CCP, if the G19 has to move to SSP, I'll be soooo disappointed. :D

@STANGBOYTOM When I think IDPA, I know the G19 as The definitive gun. You are competitive out of the box.

Check the rules in the web site ... IDPA has rules for everything, Don't over think it though. You can come, shoot what you got and ask questions - before you start buying for competitions. If you are safe & your gun runs your ammo, you'll have fun.

What to practice in dry fire -
- reloads (TC can't put muzzle over berm while reloading (or ever) and I believe this will come to more ranges)
- leaning out from cover
- draw (and do this while kneeling and while seated )
- transitions between targets
- moving - even just a few steps, either way - as you have to "show" or "demonstrate" that your finger is out of the trigger guard.
I suggest you get it up on the frame - make it obvious for the SO.
Lots of time to be lost in these areas.

OOOOOOPS! I ain't been keepin up. SORRY!

They keep changing things on me. Reminds me of the complexity of USPSA. The local club didn't have CCP on it's forms I don't think... I'll have to ask if they've been screwing me over when I shot my Ruger SR9c. Of course, it's my responsibility to read the rule revisions and write my class down correctly. Crud, I'm getting too old to handle changes. :(

I think it is strange that in a shooting discipline created for Defense Pistol shooting, we have something called Compact Carry Pistol classification. Especially since all shooters excepts LEOs are required to wear cover garments regardless of classification. Seems like they could have come up with something better for the other classes. IDPA classification names being a holdover from IPSC, it seems like this is the first one that has made any sense.

BTW: What does MUZZLES OVER THE BERM mean? We have DQ for shots over the berm but I have never heard of this term used.

Last Edited:
When I think IDPA, I know the G19 as The definitive gun. You are competitive out of the box.

Only for CCP. I was just reading about the creation of the CCP class and it was because of the slower times posted in testing/quals by master shooters etc with 4" or so barrels. Although that is surprising to me because I'm quicker on most IDPA shots with my SR9c, on the long shots that are becoming common in IDPA since the USPSA folks have invaded I have to use my sights more carefully causing a slower response. I wish we would quit the 25yd shots as they are not common in SD situations, especially with carry guns.

I also shoot ESP with the ubiquitous Glock 34 which I think is best for that, and CDP with a 1911. I've shot ESP with my Para 2011 and 10rd mags just for fun and something different. Gotta love .45 on steel head shots for zombie fun shoot matches. :D

BTW: What does MUZZLES OVER THE BERM mean? We have DQ for shots over the berm but I have never heard of this term used.

It means if your muzzle just points over the berm, no shot needed, you get DQ'd. Lots of housing surrounds the range and for safety they enacted that rule.

It means if your muzzle just points over the berm, no shot needed, you get DQ'd. Lots of housing surrounds the range and for safety they enacted that rule.

Oh I see. Makes perfect sense. Thanx!! Where I shoot, it's all wooded with tall hills behind the downrange area. The only real berms are between shooting bays. But we still have a DQ for loosing a shot over the targets and up onto the hill in the background... might hit a deer or G forbid actually go over the hill. :eek::rolleyes:

Only for CCP. I was just reading about the creation of the CCP class and it was because of the slower times posted in testing/quals by master shooters etc with 4" or so barrels. Although that is surprising to me because I'm quicker on most IDPA shots with my SR9c, on the long shots that are becoming common in IDPA since the USPSA folks have invaded I have to use my sights more carefully causing a slower response. I wish we would quit the 25yd shots as they are not common in SD situations, especially with carry guns.

I also shoot ESP with the ubiquitous Glock 34 which I think is best for that, and CDP with a 1911. I've shot ESP with my Para 2011 and 10rd mags just for fun and something different. Gotta love .45 on steel head shots for zombie fun shoot matches. :D

If it were up to me:

G34 = ESP
G17 = SSP
G19 = CCP
G26 = SCP ( Small Carry Pistol )
G42 = BUG ( Single stack, 380/9mm/40/45)
J-Frame = BUG
These are my opinion NOT the rules for 2017 book.

I do not believe someone who shoots as a pro, would go any slower thru any IDPA course with a G19 than they do with a G17.

As a comparison, I shoot steel and IDPA with a Shield. In Steel, my string times are similar with the Shield as with a 5in CORE.
And, we shot steel at 35 yrds this weekend, ( 40 on others ) ( 18 x 24 plate ) about the area of an IDPA body.

If it were up to me:

G34 = ESP
G17 = SSP
G19 = CCP
G26 = SCP ( Small Carry Pistol )
G42 = BUG ( Single stack, 380/9mm/40/45)
J-Frame = BUG
These are my opinion NOT the rules for 2017 book.

I do not believe someone who shoots as a pro, would go any slower thru any IDPA course with a G19 than they do with a G17.

As a comparison, I shoot steel and IDPA with a Shield. In Steel, my string times are similar with the Shield as with a 5in CORE.
And, we shot steel at 35 yrds this weekend, ( 40 on others ) ( 18 x 24 plate ) about the area of an IDPA body.

2015 IDPA Rulebook Released - Part 2
Why Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) and Why 4.1" Barrels?
There were a significant number of requests from members during the comment period for the 2015 rulebook that specifically asked for a Glock 19 sized firearm division. At first we were not sure there was enough difference in the compact platform, firearms with around 4" barrels, to warrant another division. But after having some DM and MA level shooters shoot the Classifier with an SSP firearm and again with a CCP sized firearm, that helped to change our minds. It was discovered that the CCP Classifier times ranged from 7% to 24% slower than SSP times with the same shooter on the same day. This is a bigger difference than SSP to CDP firearms and is roughly on par with the SSP to Revolver difference in Classifier times. The compact firearms are harder to shoot quickly and accurately than some originally thought. This is probably why they are rarely represented in sanctioned matches, up to now.

It's consistent across the board. This is from: IDPA - Rules
Classification Scores by Division

Times for:
CDP ESP SSP CCP REV BUG

Master (MA) 75.00 or less 72.00 or less 73.00 or less 78.00 or less 83.00 or less 89.00 or less

Expert (EX) 75.01 thru 100.00 72.01 thru 95.00 73.01 thru 96.00 78.01 thru 103.00 83.01 thru 110.00 89.01 thru 118.00

Sharpshooter (SS) 100.01 thru 150.00 95.01 thru 140.00 96.01 thru 142.00 103.01 thru 155.00 110.01 thru 165.00 118.01 thru 177.00

Marksman (MM) 150.01 thru 240.00 140.01 thru 225.00 142.01 thru 232.00 155.01 thru 248.00 165.01 thru 263.00 177.01 thru 283.00

Novice (NV) 240.01 or greater 225.01 or greater 232.01 or greater 248.01 or greater 263.01 or greater 283.01 or greater

Effective as of Jan 1, 2017

I wouldn't mind shooting steel 18x24 targets at 30yds. But in real life, this is not a very useful skill IMO. At that range you should be leaving or at least under cover. As a civilian, there is usually no need to engage. I have a real gripe about not keeping IDPA stages real. If it's just for fun, save it for a fun shoot. :mad:

If I were put in charge of naming divisions it would be:

CDP - Custom 1911 pistol
ECP - Enhanced Carry pistol
SCP - Stock Carry pistol
CCP - Compact Carry pistol
SSCP - Small Stock Carry pistol
BUG, etc.

Get rid of the whole idea of service pistol.

Steel is fun. Fundamentals are Fundamentals. And it is a terrific sport for families to shoot together.
Draw, target to target transitions, finger press, gun control, The clock provides stress - and the Ring of the Steel is nice feedback.
A kid can shoot something like a 10/22 carbine and compete.
12, 10, 8, even 6in targets are also used at closer distances.

Classifier
As for the IDPA times, hmmm. Might have to look up some 5-gun masters and see their classification times. Well maybe Experts, 'cause I think they do not require masters to shoot a classifier.

"SSP firearm and again with a CCP sized firearm,"

What were those? Again, I say, I doubt there is much difference, if any, between a Glock 19 and a Glock 17.

Classifier times
The overlap is interesting. The person who was just faster than me total time, was scored as an MM Marksman, due to the Stock Service Pistol. I being slower, rated SS Sharpshooter - Shield in CCP. This was due to being in the overlap which is about ~7 - 8%:
That is SSP is ~7% less time than CCP.

update:
If we had 5 targets, instead of 3, and the string was draw and engage each with 2 shots. AND we actually limited classifiers to use division capacity. Then we would see time differences as the CCP shooters would have a reload.

Last Edited:
Steel is fun. Fundamentals are Fundamentals. And it is a terrific sport for families to shoot together.
Draw, target to target transitions, finger press, gun control, The clock provides stress - and the Ring of the Steel is nice feedback.
A kid can shoot something like a 10/22 carbine and compete.
12, 10, 8, even 6in targets are also used at closer distances.

Classifier
As for the IDPA times, hmmm. Might have to look up some 5-gun masters and see their classification times. Well maybe Experts, 'cause I think they do not require masters to shoot a classifier.

"SSP firearm and again with a CCP sized firearm,"

What were those? Again, I say, I doubt there is much difference, if any, between a Glock 19 and a Glock 17.

Classifier times
The overlap is interesting. The person who was just faster than me total time, was scored as an MM Marksman, due to the Stock Service Pistol. I being slower, rated SS Sharpshooter - Shield in CCP. This was due to being in the overlap which is about ~7 - 8%:
That is SSP is ~7% less time than CCP.

update:
If we had 5 targets, instead of 3, and the string was draw and engage each with 2 shots. AND we actually limited classifiers to use division capacity. Then we would see time differences as the CCP shooters would have a reload.

Oh, I misunderstood about the steel. I thought you were shooting IDPA with a steel target. Steel matches... I'm too old and slo.

As for the IDPA classifier times, hey, I didn't write it, IDPA did, and I wouldn't have changed the divisions anyway. I always shot just as good with my G19. Not as good with my SR9c as I was with G19, buy hey don't change the rules for me. It's just how I roll. :) What's a 5-gun master?

Last Edited:
Well we had a shooter run both an SSP and a BUG. I don't know what he was running. That is about 14% slower.
Yes, he was second fastest shooter, of everyone, with a BUG.

upload_2017-4-3_14-46-17.png

There were a few others with 2 guns, but I don't think they appear so nicely, one above the other in the results table.

@bbbass I think this a question you asked ... the quote kinda got run together on my screen
What's a 5-gun master?

Someone who shoots master in 5 classes - typically CDP, ESP, SSP, REV, CCP ...

And so you think your research would be more accurate than the IDPA leadership? As I said, I don't care what excuse they used, I wouldn't have created the CCP division. Suck it up, is what I say.

@RicInOR .. Do the new shooters (not members of TCGC) still need to call and talk to Paul? I know we did before our sign-up was accepted for the qualifier.

If you have shot IDPA at TC within recent memory (say a year) then you are good to go.
Otherwise, even experienced shooters need to attend the briefing, so they can be told No Muzzle Over the Berm a few dozen more times. I am sure it is for insurance.

I also recommend everyone have a buddy - for those "embarrassed to ask" questions, like where is the bathroom.

For IDPA, sign up is done on-line, including squading. Tri-County Defensive Pistol League

Sorry, I don't know what is the current goings on with the gate code. I suspect it is the same as it was for the qualifier.
It is acceptable to wait near the gate and follow someone in - for IDPA (And for Steel)
I don't know about any other matches at the range.

TC IDPA On Line New Shooter Info
New Shooter

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR